Things you Regret and Things you Can't Give Up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhifer

Reaction score
What did you buy for your van that you never use or don't make use of? 

What do you have right now that you feel you should've bought sooner?

It can be anything: Microwave? High top vs low? A/C? Generator? Shower?  Anything...

I am starting to buy all types of gear and modification for the van and I wanted to get an idea of what people need/don't need and want/don't want.

It is about what you need or want. Some can travel the world with a backpack, others need a 45' Class A pulling a 20' trailer. So make a list of what YOU like and we will help you figure out how to have it.

I used to think more battery capacity was the answer, but have since come to realize that more charging capacity for reduced battery capacity was more economical in my usage, that 345Ah caacity/ 180 LBs of lead of sulfated battery, is not as good as 90Ah of healthy properly charged battery.

Waste of money was inexpensive fog lights, Should have bought Cibie instead of Hella optilux and pep boys specials.

Another waste of money was buying new foam rubber for conversion jackknife folding bed. Should have gone for plywood platform much sooner.

Not getting solar and a DC compressor fridge sooner ranks pretty high, but Solar was so much more expensive back then. In 2007. I paid ~750$ for a Kyocera 130 watt panel.

I regret using home depot's cheapest laminate snap together fake wood flooring, but I guess 10 years is pretty good duration and rubber mats cover the damaged areas fairly well. If I had it to do over I would use real tongue and groove wood, on a diagonal with no subfloor.

I can't really think of things besides the fog lights that I really regret buying. I wish I spent more on the solar controller with the battery temperature sensor option, and real wood flooring.

What I Wish I had now, was another 100 watts of solar, for 300.

My ventilation in the early years was pretty pathetic too. Much more comfort could have been achieved had I invested in better ventilation right off the bat instead of working my way upto Wind tunnel status.

Also Wish I attended to the roof gutter rust in a better manner, and never ever thought of allowing great stuff foam touch any steel.

Another regret is not fixing my engine computer connector properly, earlier.

Can't say I've bought much that i never used, and future desirable acquisitions, well I'd upgrade some copper, and some computer fans, and get some Cibie 200MM 6054 h4 replacements with some phillips extreme bulbs and Some Cibie Oscar fog lights with a good H3 bulb.

Other things i would spend money on right now, if I had some extra, is new seals for my compressor fridge's

I'd rather spend money on new experiences, rather than slight comfort or performance improvements, but my Van is already, mostly where I need it to be, function wise. Location wise, well Worse places to be based than in Coastal Sandyeggo

DannyB1954 said:
It is about what you need or want. Some can travel the world with a backpack, others need a 45' Class A pulling a 20' trailer. So make a list of what YOU like and we will help you figure out how to have it.

I know but other people's ideas can turn into something I "Need." I never thought about a fridge and was using coolers with ice. Then I got a ARB fridge because it was recommended to me and its been a life changer.

Mind sharing yours?

I am still sticks and bricks, but I did buy a conversion van to set up for being a summer home, (where I live it gets hot). The electrical system that I was setting up was going to be a 800 watt generator powering a 45 amp smart charger with all the 120 volt loads coming off a 3.5k inverter. I guess my regret was I did not realize that the generator really only put out 700 watts continuous, (800 peak). When I powered up a small window A/C unit from the inverter, the charger would draw 725 Watts.  After a couple of seconds the generator would shut down. I should have bought a 1,000 watt generator. The way the system should work is if the 120 AC load is more than the generator can put out, (like an air conditioner compressor starting),  the needed energy would come out of the battery. When the load cycled off, the generator / charger would recharge what was taken out of the battery. This way I could use a smaller generator, make less noise, and burn less fuel. I ended up buying another generator. I went with a 1,200 watt peak, 1,000 watt continuous just to have a safety margin. If I am not using heavy loads I will not have to run the generator all day.

I ordered a cabinet online because the design looked good for van use. But it turned out it weighs 100 lbs. on it's own empty. Too heavy. It is now in my garage at home.
Bought a 12VDC cooler at one point. Works okay, but ambient temps get so high here, the cooler only drops temp 40F., so can still be too warm for critical foods.
I got a Dometic 12VDC compressor fridge to use instead.

I thought about cheap ikea cabinets and drawers. Someone told me that they'll rattle loose and break but I think with some reinforcement screws, it should be fine.

We aren't in a hard tent yet, but I love my handed cranked am\fm\weather radio. It's small, can charge it with USB, hand cranking, or a small solar panel on it. Was like 40$ and beat to hell, but still works. Knowing the weather is great and NPR shows are very entertaining. And if I want to yell at the radio, I just find some nut on AM going off on something silly...lol

I'm not a full-timer, but I spend as much as four months out of the year in my van and/or 32' motorhome from three days to two weeks at a time.

My 32' motorhome lacks for nothing except hanging clothes storage. My van... I've had two. A '94 Airstream B-van and now a '95 Coachmen B-19. Both are stock. The Airstream had an inside shower/tub, did NOT have a generator, was incredibly top-heavy, was an e350 with a 460, and got 9mpg. The Coachmen is a heavy-duty e250 with a 351W, with the addition of sway bars, handles well, and gets 13-14mpg (almost 50% better,) has an outside shower head AND a generator. For the way I use the van, the Coachmen is perfect. There is a dinette in the Coachmen where the bath was in the Airstream. I use that area for cargo, the dog crate, and storage. It's much more useful for me. Neither had TVs or much electronics and that's fine... I don't have solar, but I'm on the road a lot, or plugged in so I'm never short on 12v as the battery charges pretty much daily. I only have to run the genset occasionally to charge the battery. Mostly the generator gets run for either the A/C or the microwave at meal time.

While I could ALWAYS use more storage space, other than that, the Coachmen has turned out to be nearly a "perfect" van for me without mods.

SternWake said:
I used to think more battery capacity was the answer, but have since come to realize that more charging capacity for reduced battery capacity was more economical in my usage, that 345Ah  caacity/ 180 LBs of lead of sulfated battery, is not as good as 90Ah of healthy properly charged battery.

Will a 90 AH battery work for running just a laptop, internet, l.e.d. lighting, and charging a phone every other day?
Also, wouldn't you want a sheet of plywood under that tongue & groove to level it out?

I regret all the money I spent trying to get off ice for ice chests. I tried them all, RV refer, 12v cooler, dorm refer, super ice chest. all because of the price of a 12v refer. if I just would have bought the 12v refer right off the bat I would have been dollars ahead. highdesertranger

Just the hassle of trying to find ice put me off of ice chests/boxes back in the '80s.  I don't think I've had an RV without a fridge since 1987.

SternWake said:
I regret using home depot's cheapest laminate snap together fake wood flooring, but I guess 10 years is pretty good duration and rubber mats cover the damaged areas fairly well. If I had it to do over I would use real tongue and groove wood, on a diagonal with no subfloor.

Really curious about this. I'm literally getting ready to do the floors on my van today. Why would you do real younger and groove and do it diagonally with no sub floor? Really curious. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xhifer said:
What did you buy for your van that you never use or don't make use of? 
Well for me it wasn't what I bought for my van, instead its what my van came with. My current RV/van has a three-way fridge that I've turned on only three times, a hot water heater that I have yet to use, a double sink I have yet to have any use for other then a convenient place to stick my little coffee machine, and a shower that I haven't so much as confirmed its plumbing works. The only two things I use are the toilet, and the two burner propane stovetop which I may light up once every month or so.

What do you have right now that you feel you should've bought sooner?
A two burner gasoline stove, and a toilet with a grey water tank. The hightop is super nice too.

It can be anything: Microwave? High top vs low? A/C? Generator? Shower?  Anything...
If I had to pick only one appliance/convenience/luxury that I didn't have before, it's definitely the toilet and grey water tank.

I am starting to buy all types of gear and modification for the van and I wanted to get an idea of what people need/don't need and want/don't want.

The one thing a friend suggested to me that I never thought of when I first started out was installing a constant duty solenoid to charge the house battery. It was a game changer for me.

The only thing I'm not really, really happy with in my van is the roof vent fan unit. I shoulda just spent the money on the good fantastic fan instead of one that was 'just good enough'.

Other than that, I'm really pleased with what I have.

The solar system is about to be beefed up and I need more generator power but that's because one of the things I don't want to have to live without is the deep freezer unit. Since I live full-time on the road, having the ability to buy meat on in quantity and more importantly, being able to look in the freezer and decide what I want for dinner that night instead of the 'what is going to spoil first' scenario with just a fridge is wonderful.

I spent a lot of money on ice. I'm glad I have a propane fridge that came in my new old camper. I was spending 20 bucks and more a month and that's not counting drive time.

The 2000 watt inverter I bought early that did not get hooked up for several years was a bad decision. It is getting use now, but I could have done better.
The toad I purchased and wound up needed repairs immediately. I should have spent more up front on one in better condition.

My LiFePO4 batteries are working better than expected. I will never go with lead again, even if they die tomorrow.

Ballenxj said:
Will a 90 AH battery work for running just a laptop, internet, l.e.d. lighting, and charging a phone every other day?
Also, wouldn't you want a sheet of plywood under that tongue & groove to level it out?

Real 1/2 inch or thicker actual hardwood T&G on the diagonal across the valleys, would not need a Subfloor, in my opinion.  I have filled the valleys with extra foamboard insulation under my current Snap laminate fake wood flooring, but foolishly I did not plan some of the seams locations as well as I should have. The high traffic area in front of side doors, has fallen with raised seams, and other seams that have gotten wet have swelled and raised, but it is also now 10 years old.

90 AH of high$$ AGM works for me as I have 200 watts of solar, 100 amps of adjustable voltage alternator available, and 40 amps of plug in adjustable voltage 120Vac charger.  This Northstar AGM has no problems handling huge recharging currents, and is better off for them.

i use about 45AH each night with a maximum of 65AH used and lately a minimum of 30AH. With little bad weather buffer, other than to not use the laptop and drive more, or plug in, if possible.

But in winter I need to plug in fairly often as the day is not long enough, nor do I drive enough.

I do not recommend others go with as little capacity as I do, my intent was to show it is possible, or perhaps to show that lots of capacity does not always yield the best cycles per dollar equation, especially when charging sources are not up to snuff.

Money might be better spent on more or better charging sources, rather than more battery capacity, but obviously this will vary depending on user, their system, and their habits.

My buffer is my ability to plug in, especially in winter, but if I drove more in the morning, and used less laptop at night, I could swing winter without much issue, at 33'N without pluggin in.

deltanner said:
 Why would you do real younger and groove and do it diagonally with no sub floor?  Really curious. Thanks!

I was unwilling to lose 1/2 inch of height for a subfloor.  I would do  real T&G hardwood on the diagonal as the grain of the wood would cross the valleys at an Angle, and be more than strong enough.  As I did my current floor the fake grain goes side to side instead of front to back and  extremely foolishly, I allowed one end seam to end over a valley in a high traffic area.

I would also polyurethane all the real hardwood T&G both sides before install, let it cure fully, then possibly wax the edges before installation.

But that is all if I had the time and money to perform 'ideal'

Replacing my current fakewood floor would require disassembly of most of my interior.  Instead I will just be covering the failing flooring with rubber matting that I can remove and shake out, and occassionally powerwash. 

In a few houses i have installed some cork flooring which is a snap together type of deal.  This would require a subfloor in a van, but it is very quiet and soft on ones knees and feet, and likely very good insulative wise.  Not sure the price but If I were to consider reflooring, I might sacrifice some  standing height to accommodate the cork flooring with subfloor.  But it too swells when it gets wet.  I'd consider gluing the flooring together in a van, in fact any snap together type of engineered flooring, I would at least polyurethane the mating edges then snap it together, in a Van.  

But honestly if i were to start from scratch, I'd just get some Red Oak or similar density hardwood, T&G and install it on the angle across the valleys, and polyurethane or perhaps epoxy all 6 sides of each board for maximum durability in a van.