Things you Regret and Things you Can't Give Up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regret wasting all the effort I put into installing the generator I have not start in years.

I wish I had just put more barriers where the generator is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SternWake said:
I was unwilling to lose 1/2 inch of height for a subfloor.  I would do  real T&G hardwood on the diagonal as the grain of the wood would cross the valleys at an Angle, and be more than strong enough.  As I did my current floor the fake grain goes side to side instead of front to back and  extremely foolishly, I allowed one end seam to end over a valley in a high traffic area.

With a little chisel work you could splice in a piece. Just make sure the replacement piece starts and ends on a rib. 

or

Yea, I've done the chisel thing on damaged hardwood Floors in homes when i was earning 40 an hour doing it, but My prickly rubber doormat covers the worst seam nicely and I have other projects much higher on the priority list. I am just angry at myself for a rookie mistake, and fixing mistakes, mine or others', grinds my gears.

I've considered the toe kick saw too, and just cutting upto the things I have screwed through the floor Like cabinet and bed supports. Perhaps someday.

I bought a heater that I don't use.

Over two winters/ 8 months traveling and camping I only used the little buddy heater once. It overheated my minivan. I was constantly turning it on and off. And I don't like how it smells when running. In my van storage space is at a premium.

In a brief cold snap I will bundle up or go to town. In extended cold I will head to warmer locations.

xhifer said:
I am starting to buy all types of gear...

Perhaps a future regret would be starting out thinking gear is the answer. 

Knowing what I've learned after more than three years as a nomad, I would have started out with just the basics -- a bed, clothes, a way to keep warm, a way to cook, a way to charge my electronics -- and added things only as they became necessary. Instead, I've purged stuff about every six months. There are still things I don't need, but I have to break through some psychological barriers first. I think "having enough" and "being prepared" are more about states of mind.

highdesertranger said:
I regret all the money I spent trying to get off ice for ice chests.  I tried them all,  RV refer,  12v cooler,  dorm refer,  super ice chest.  all because of the price of a 12v refer.  if I just would have bought the 12v refer right off the bat I would have been dollars ahead.  highdesertranger

Which 12v do you suggest?  Because I planned on doing super ice chest but if I have the $$ I'd rather get the 12v and be done with it.

http://www.truckfridge.com/tf51.html

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html#cart_restore

The link above uses a Danfoss Secop bd35f compressor which is much quieter than a Sawafuji Compressor used in Engel and some other brands.

Dometic sells many 12v models and now use a Waeco compressor, which appears to be a clone of the Danfoss.

Not sure how it stacks up noise wise.

The actual electrical draw when compressor is running, among all brands available is nearly the same. It is the insulation quality and that quality of the door/lid seals that likely makes the biggest differences in battery consumption as these affect how often the compressor runs.

The cooling unit vents need to remain unobstructed wherever the chest fridge gets located. Some have stuffed them into a partition with no ventilation and observe poor performance and lots of battery consumption, and exercise their harrumphing skills and start product bashing, when the fault lies in the installation.

Upright models are available too it that fits with ones interior ergonomics better.

A 12vDC compressor fridge, with enough solar for it and some more , in my opinion, makes van dwelling so much better.

Yes a cooler with block ice works, and continuously worrying about how much ice is left, where to get it, and how to drain water from cooler, gets Old quick. i did it for years, and would never consider going back, unless starting from scratch and saving. But the price of block ice every 4 to 5 days, paid for my fridge in about a year, not including the gas required to go get more ice, nor the inconvenience of having to do so, and worry about food spoiling.

I have nightmares about a cooler filled with ice and stinky water, and wake up relieved to find my fridge interior at 33.5f.

Biggest regret:  Bought a small generator when I first started van camping.   Rarely used it, destroys the peace and quiet at your campsite (--even my 'quiet' Honda model), annoys neighbors and is a hassle to store/fuel/service.   Sold it soon after.

Favorite addition:  1000 watt MSW inverter.   Can run toaster, microwave, etc. for short periods.  Wish it was slightly bigger (1,500-2,000watts).  

I'm still dragging my feet on installing solar & a battery upgrade.  I've found since I 'move' campsites every 2-3 days anyway, my house batteries (two) get re-charged pretty well--via alternator/driving.  (Note:  Having the fridge on propane minimizes my electrical loads)