Things that don't Really Need to be refrigerated

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayd888

Reaction score
As we all know, a good 12v fridge is one of the big ticket items of vandwelling.

I'm old enough to remember when my mother left many things out of the fridge that today most of us shove in there by default.

I learned a tip from my aunt a few years ago that no one else seems to know and use it.

She keeps the Mayo out of the fridge and it never goes bad. There is one important point to remember though: if you do put it in the fridge just once, you have to keep it there. If you leave it out again after it's been in the fridge just once, it'll get cold and then it does go bad if you leave it out again.

I love Mayo and this is a cool trick while vandwelling or while camping.

Other things that don't need to be refrigerated are:

- Mayo (mentioned above)
- Block cheeses, like cheddar
- Butter
- Eggs
- Hot sauces like tabasco
- Ketchup (Catsup?)
- Onions
- Potatoes

I'd like to hear how people deal with refrigeration while on the road.

Any tips and tricks?

12v fridges being so small, what precious items do you keep there?

Etc...

Thanks!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

For me, my fridge is all about the milk, beer, and a few meats. Everything else can be outside the fridge or I can find a pre-packaged version of each that can be stored outside the fridge. Honestly, there are even prepackaged versions of the above items that can be stored outside the fridge for the hardcore. I used canned meats for a long while, even though I have a fridge... just easier to keep longer.

I worked in the restaurant industry for years and was blown away just how many things need NOT be refrigerated. In fact, most of the items people have in their fridge need not be in there. Mayo is still one of the best examples that people today can not believe.

Awesome. Can you name some of the items that they didn't refrigerate in the restaurant business?

Always looking to simplify my life! [emoji3]

One caution with mayo and butter.  If you double dip with a dirty knife, food particles left in the mayo or butter can start to mold.

Basically most foods you see on the store shelf will go to your shelf I pointed this out to my son on the mayo he scratched his head .

also above about 85°f mayo starts to separate.

I don't refrigerate most condiments,
mustard
relish
ketchup
salsa will be ok for a few days to weeks depends on type
salad dressing
BBQ sauce
hard cheese your softer cheese's dry out if not sealed real good
I will leave cooked left-overs out over night. just have a tight fitting lid, heat it up and do not open until you heat it up the next day. this is an old school before refrigeration trick.
highdesertranger

Can you just mix the mayo up again after it separated? Like when it happens to peanut butter?

Your comment on the cheese reminded me that for a while Ziploc used to sell these vacuum seal baggies, but they worked with a little plastic hand pump instead the huge expensive heat-sealing types.

They used to work great but I can't find them anymore. An one remember those?

Edit: actually, Amazon still has them, with and without the pump:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...+with+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=41b+do0J4aL&ref=plSrch

We only use the mayo squeeze bottles and make sure that the tip area stays clean.

Oh, and eggs. We don't refrigerate our eggs. Over 6 years not refrig'n eggs, average of 1-2 weeks keeping eggs and no issues so far with getting sick. This has been my personal experience.

soda is bad for you but you dont need to put in fridge after you open it, just as long as as it has a screw top, I drink it at room temperature too.

yeah with the eggs I just do the float test once they are a couple of weeks old. highdesertranger

I have a friend that raises chickens for eggs. He said that when an egg is laid is has a coating of slime that has antibacterial properties. When commercial eggs are washed for packaging the slime is removed and they don't last as well as if they were not cleaned. So if you can get your hands on fresh laid eggs that haven't been washed, don't wash them.

I am pretty sure the law requires stores to wash eggs and that removes the protective coating that is on them naturally. Only eggs from a farm - that have never been washed - will last for a long time without refrigeration. I see someone posted the same thing above while I was working on mine.

Mayo is pasteurized nowadays. That is why it is safer. However, I'm not sure that I would not refrigerate it personally. I grew up when it was dangerous to leave it out and rather be safe than sorry. Sounds like the squeeze bottles might be safe though.

I've been using mayo left out of the fridge for about 10 years and never had an issue, but I take no responsibility for anyone else's mayo adventures... Experiment at your own risk. [emoji6]

vacuum packed meats. You can get beef, lamb, and buffalo vacuum packed and it lasts longer that meats wrapped at the store. I have never seen vacuum packed chicken. I use canned chicken.
Vacuum packed dry salami is a high energy food, has preservatives.
Parmesan cheese or grated mozzarella cheese.
Sardines!!  and other canned fish.
Gotta have dates and prunes, dried cherries and dried cranberrys, molasses, for potassium.
Nuts will go rancid, especially walnuts. Sunflower seeds will last longer.
Yogurt lasts longer and naturally cures.
berrys, tomatoes, and most vegetables don't need refrigeration.
Bagged chop salad lasts longer than lettuce.
Canned milk or kick the habit.
Irradiated foods last the longest- but I don't eat them.  ~ crofter

Thanks for the great post crofter. Very good info.

only thing I would hesitate is on the eggs... if they are commercial eggs, they are washed and that takes all the denton off... those have to be kept cool, plus you buy them chilled....if they are organic eggs with the denton on... they can set for weeks on the counter... visited Belize a couple times and they have eggs stacked 20 layers high on the grocery store floor... Tomatoes, store them upside down to make them last longer...

Rayd888, thank you so much for the link to the hand pump ziplock sealer. Having that will really help!

I tried to give you a reputation point with a thank you, but I don't see it, so am replying instead.

the reputation is the rate button. if in doubt with eggs do the float test. if they float in water they are bad, if they don't float they are bad. I don't refrigerate store eggs, they last about a month. as far as vacuum pack meat, if it's in the foil packs I don't refrigerate but if it's in the clear plastic I refrigerate. highdesertranger

Latest posts