"Then what?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your status?

• Full time

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Part time

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Back to sticks & bricks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wannabe

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
As I get closer to retiring and hitting the road, my friends and family ask "then what?" as in this fulltiming on the road part of my life will only last a few years at most then I'd do something else.  While I doubt I'll fulltime forever, I still think this could be a decade or more.  

I'm wondering how many folks here are truly full time vs. part time, or perhaps you've tried fulltiming and moved back to a sticks and bricks situation.  Thx.

I've been fulltiming for five years and have no desire to live in a building again, because I don't want to be in on place or be paying for a place I rarely see.

I am doing everything in my power to ensure that my full-timing time is as long as humanly possible.

For me that means: no pharmaceuticals, healthy eating, as much exercise as I can and a stress free lifestyle.

That said, I realize that sooner or later I will have to slow down some. Maybe when I hit somewhere around 90.....maybe... :D

Plan A is to have both a winter and a summer home, both in warm locations instead of the nomadic lifestyle I now enjoy. If and when I am unable to drive myself back and forth, I will either find someone to drive me or plan on flying back and forth.

Some day way, way, way in the future I may have to actually start staying in one location but I figure by then it's time to either check out or check in to a nursing home!

It's been 5 years and I keep finding amazing places out in Federal lands and I like being warm all year. It's an adventure so I'm not sure what the future holds. My 12 year old Westie limits me but once she's gone ? Hike the AZ trail ? Long distance travel on my Harley ? I take it a day at a time

We've been fulltiming since 1993 with no thoughts on quitting. This is our second time though. The first was only for a year but that was the time span that we had planned.

It's not for everyone. Some people find that they miss having a home base and prefer to just take trips. Enjoy the journey but be willing to accept that everyone has a different experience. There's not one right or wrong way to do this. :)

On March 4, 2015 I hopped into my van and hit the road. I've been coast-to-coast 3 times, and had some crazy hijinks exploring dirt roads that have given me the heebie-jeebies thinking about what **might** have happened if my wheels had slipped a couple more inches to the right....you'd think it would make me want to quit, but I'm like the proverbial bear that went over the mountain:

"....and what do you think he saw?
He saw another mountain...."

And I just want to keep exploring till I drop dead. Sometimes I get aggravated with human beings and their BS, but so far I have never had a moment where I wished I had a house that didn't have wheels under it.

The only advice I have for someone starting out is, don't think too much. Just be. Enjoy the moment, the wonder of the sky, the desert and its secrets, the majesty of the mountains, the perfume of the forest, the pleasure of camaraderie when it happens. The future will surely arrive in its own good time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When I can’t do this anymore, I’m going to Mexico!

I'm full timing it 7 days a week since June 2012 Same van too.....Have not regretted it once.

Part time here, but I guess I also qualify for back to sticks and bricks. I am backwards from most folks here. I lived on Boats and RV's most of my adult life, ( San Francisco Bay Area). About 8 Years before I retired I bought a house up in the Sierras. I lived in an RV Mon - Fri and then went to the house for the weekends. About a year after I retired I moved to Southern Nevada, (another house). I still have the RV I lived in before retiring, (30' Class A), but it is larger than I like so it sits next to the house as a guest room. I bought a 22' toy hauler trailer, and have fixed up a camper van to pull it with. I am in the final stages of building the van and will be heading out soon for cooler locations. I may just take the van to see if I find a summer spot that I really like. The last two years I stayed in the van for a month each year.

Three years for me. No plans to quit for the forseeable future. I'm having too much of a damn good time.

waldenbound said:
When I can’t do this anymore, I’m going to Mexico!

When I can't do this anymore, I'm sending myself over the rainbow bridge.

Like some here I have a home base but it is an older motor home that we have had in the same spot for many years and because we work seasonaly here it costs little or nothing. We have traveled 3 to 6 months a year with tents, camper trailers, trucks and toppers, truck campers, and soon a toy hauler. It has been more than 15 years since we owned property. Escapee's has some options as well as some independent living which since I'm a veteran may be within our buget. I'm 67 now and the other day an 78 year old coworker told me I would die if I didn't start eating better. My reply was good I would hate to live as long as he has and turn into a nagging old fart like him.

Wanna-be, here. Living in a trailer I bought a couple months ago, at a friend's house, while saving up for the truck to tow it. After that, I'll go wherever I can find more work and live cheap ... which may actually be here, but I don't know. I work here, but it's a dead town and I need somewhere with more opportunity.

Latest posts