The lazy man’s cargo trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VJ1977 I don't have pictures but just think of the louver vent you put on the outside. If you took one louver off and increased the size to go across  the front of your ac and and mounted it upside down. I made it out of corgated plastic and attached it with duct tape. but on my ac the cold air comes out the top 4in of vents.  And I also live in clarksville

Just got back from the first of many trips with the cargo trailer conversion.  Over all it was very enjoyable.  I would definitely call it a success with seven days and nights in the trailer.  

Just a little back ground.  My wife has been disabled for 18 years and on oxygen the last three years.  My goal was to make any travel with her as comfortable as possible.  When I started the conversion I hoped to match the hotel room that we normally stayed in.  We needed a comfortable bed, a TV, DVD player, over the air TV, microwave, coffee pot and refrigerator.  The trailer needed to be air conditioned or heated and there had to be a toilet that my wife was comfortable using. 

With 1” of Dow R5 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation in the ceiling we were comfortable most of the time.  With the air conditioner running, in the afternoon a couple of days, it got up to 84 degrees F. inside the trailer.  With a fan we were ok but for my wife, I would like to keep it below 75 degrees.  First thing I will do is paint the roof with Kool White roof paint.  I will be adding 1” foam insulation in the walls and either ½” or 1” foam insulation to the existing 1” in the ceiling.  I will monitor inside and outside temperature before and after each modification and let you all know how effective the paint and insulation is.  

My wife’s bed is a patio chaise lounge with 3 inches of memory foam.  She loved it and said it was as comfortable and any bed she had ever slept on.  The adjustable head was very much appreciated as she usually uses a sleep wedge.  During the trip we added storage bins that fit under the chaise.  Sheets and micro fiber blankets were just like home.

CHAISE 600.jpg

The TV and DVD player worked just like at home.  I used a directional amplified antenna on two sections of antenna mast for over the air TV reception.  We got 24 stations without rotating the antenna but to get some of the stations we normally watch I needed to repoint the antenna.  Before the next trip I plan to get an omni-directional antenna. 

TV ANTENNA 2 600.jpg

The microwave worked like at home.  Just had to remember not the run the air conditioner and microwave at the same time.  The microwave draws 12 amps and the air conditioner draws 7 amps running.  

FRONT WALL  600.jpg

For a coffee pot I got the same as in the house, a 12 cup Black & Decker.  I filled it from jugs of water that I carried and refilled from the house and used our regular coffee.  I did get new mugs for the trailer, My Mug and Your Mug.  

I used this Refrigerator a Haier 3.3 cu ft. Refrigerator and was very pleased. The freezer got down to -6 degrees F. and I saw 34 degrees on the bottom shelf.  When I plugged in, the refrigerator ran so quiet that I had to feel the freezer to tell if it was running.  The meter I was plunged into showed .47 amps running and I was never fast enough to see the surge amps.

Haier 3.3 cu ft Refrigerator.jpg

The toilet was a commode chair with Liners.  I set it to 20 inch seat height, the same as at home.  We used liners in the bucket that had a powder that adsorbed the liquid and a coating of cat litter over any solid.  With two of us I changed out the bag twice a day.  There was never an odor problem.  The bucket looks new, nothing ever touched the bucket.  

COMMODE CHAIR_600.jpg

Changes I will make based on this first trip will be; Sheet Vinyl flooring, led strip lighting and more storage.

Attachments

• CHAISE 600.jpg
    CHAISE 600.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 47
  • TV ANTENNA 2 600.jpg
    TV ANTENNA 2 600.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 45
  • FRONT WALL  600.jpg
    FRONT WALL 600.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Haier 3.3 cu ft Refrigerator.jpg
    Haier 3.3 cu ft Refrigerator.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 14
  • COMMODE CHAIR_600.jpg
    COMMODE CHAIR_600.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26
Mad respect to you and my deepest admiration for your love, loyalty and dedication. Of all the qualities a human can have, those are the most important.

Superb job on the trailer!
Bob

Thanks for the details on how your camping trailer is set up, and as Bob said, good on ya for taking care of your wife like that.
PS, the memory foam on the folding lawn chair is BRILLIANT! :)

This is the type of conversion I am thinking about doing with a 5x8 or 5x10 CT and you have don a great job and given me some great ideas for doing one. I do have a couple questions though.

1. The refrigerator is a great idea. But how do you keep it running when you are traveling on the road?? I can imagine a battery and an inverter would work, but I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about that.

2. And from the pics of the AC, I noticed that you have something under the drip pan supporting it. what did you use for that?

Stevesway said:
This is the type of conversion I am thinking about doing with a 5x8 or 5x10 CT and you have don a great job and given me some great ideas for doing one. I do have a couple questions though.

1. The refrigerator is a great idea. But how do you keep it running when you are traveling on the road?? I can imagine a battery and an inverter would work, but I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about that.

2. And from the pics of the AC, I noticed that you have something under the drip pan supporting it. what did you use for that?

In regards to the refrigerator, I only travel 4 hours a day and plug into AC shore power when parked.  Until I retire, I am driveway camping at relative’s houses.  I plug in the day before a trip to cool the fridge and also load some frozen water bottles before we leave on a trip.  When I retire we will just be spending more time at different relatives.  If we stay at a campground it will be one with power.  

The air conditioner drip pan is a cookie sheet with one end cutoff. The hole in the wall is framed in with the existing upright framing and two pieces of one-inch tubing for the top and bottom of the opening.  I placed the opening as low as I could to keep the weight low.  To get a little slope for water to drain out, it ended up that a 2x4 on edge was the right height for the front of the air conditioner.  I screwed it to the floor with a couple “L” brackets and attached the conditioner to the 2x4 with a couple more.  I guess it was good enough.  I had to make a panic stop from 65 MPH and nothing moved.  The trailer tracked straight behind the van.

Thanks for the good information here.  I have a 6 x 12 single axle that I want to convert.  I'm going to borrow some of your ideas.  Thanks.

Hi everyone, it has been a while since my last post.  Ended up spending 24 nights, over several trips, in the trailer last year.  Made just a few minor changes.
Added coat hooks every 16" on both side walls.
COAT HOOKS 600.jpg

Added a wire basket over my wive's bed for a night stand and a cup holder by my chair.
CUP HOLDER 600.jpgBASKET 600.jpg

Added one more inch of insulation to the ceiling.  With the air conditioner on high it is not enough and will need to insulate the walls.  When it got up to 98 degrees outside it hit 85 degrees inside.  There is no shade where I had to park.  I found out that it is easier to heat than cool.  When it got down to 29 degrees a 1500 watt heater on Low kept the trailer at 72 degrees and cycled off more than it was on.
PARKED AT KARLS 2 600.jpg

Have plans to spend 32 nights in it this year.  We keep it loaded with everything but food and can hit the road with about 30 minutes prep time.

Attachments

• COAT HOOKS 600.jpg
    COAT HOOKS 600.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 34
  • CUP HOLDER 600.jpg
    CUP HOLDER 600.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 24
  • BASKET 600.jpg
    BASKET 600.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PARKED AT KARLS 2 600.jpg
    PARKED AT KARLS 2 600.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 22
With the air conditioner I would like to suggest either putting some form of duct to get the cold air up to the ceiling or a fan pushing it up. The two things working against it are cold air falls and the return is picking up the coldest air in the trailer to cool.

Really great post and follow up! Simple is better. I keep bumping into foam and damaging it so I have started covering it with cloth and Titebond II glue and paint . On tntt trailer site it is called PMF (poor man's fiberglass). I just roll cloth up on a piece of PVC pipe and spread glue and unroll as I go. Let it totally dry and then paint. It makes it pretty much indestructible and with aluminum screen sandwiched or 1/4" wood layer you can put lots of weight on it without making your trailer heavy. Insert 1" wooden dowel pieces where you want mounting screws and you are good to go! Easy to glue together and use tooth picks to hold together until glue dries and just cut them off when dry. Thanks again for your posts.

Hi folks, it has been a while since I posted.  Hope to be able to become more active.  This past year has been a ruff one.  I had planned on a trip in July last year and the weekend before my step daughter had a stroke.  She lived with my wife and me so we could not leave.  She got better for a couple of months and then was hospitalized with liver failure.  In December she passed away.  

Planning a long weekend trip in March.  Have a few changes to the camper planned.  So far the only thing permanently  mounted is the air conditioner.  Everything else is strapped down for travel with some ratchet straps and bungee cords.  Now it takes about 15 minutes to make the trailer ready to move.  I'll be attaching the dresser, refrigerator, and beds to the floor.  Have a wall mount for the TV and will secure the microwave and DVD player to the refrigerator.  Also have child safety latches for the drawers and refrigerator.

New here and just skimmed through this thread. I'm so sorry to read of your daughter's passing. Seems to me you've had more than your share of grief and trouble. I'm enjoying your build. I'm also a lazy guy.

Just read your thread, beginning to end. I'm somewhat new here. Good build. And sorry for your loss.

A thought on insulation. When I was a kid, we had insulation installed in our house. "Blown in" was what they called it. They drilled about 3" holes, top and bottom between each stud(no fire stops in a 1954 house), and blew loose insulation in. I'm wondering if you couldn't do something like that. You wouldn't want to use any of the expanding foam stuff, as it can easily bust out your wall. But maybe some sort of foam beads or maybe even small packing peanuts. You could probably do without a hole on the bottom of the walls, and cover the holes at the top with a nice wood trim piece.

Just a thought.

Stanvan said:
Just read your thread, beginning to end. I'm somewhat new here.  Good build. And sorry for your loss.

A thought on insulation. When I was a kid, we had insulation installed in our house. "Blown in" was what they called it. They drilled about 3" holes, top and bottom between each stud(no fire stops in a 1954 house), and blew loose insulation in.  I'm wondering if you couldn't do something like that.  You wouldn't want  to use any of the expanding foam stuff, as it can easily bust out your wall.  But maybe some sort of foam beads or maybe even small packing peanuts.  You could probably do without a hole on the bottom of the walls, and cover the holes at the top with a nice wood trim piece.

Just a thought.

With only one inch of wall space, I think it would be hard to get an even fill with the blown in insulation.  I thought about trying the small foam pellets like a bean bag fill but have the same doubts.  I'm sure the best way is the hard way.  Need to pull the lauan panels and put one inch blue foam insulation in the walls.  Before I do that I have two gallons of the Kool Seal White Elastomeric Roof Coating and will give the roof a couple of coats.  Since I only travel East coast I'm hoping that  will be enough.

That's exactly the sort of stuff I was thinking. It wouldn't take a large hole, and you could do some sort of "pastry bag" to get it in. Gravity will do the trick, so a hole at the bottom wouldn't be needed. It seems to me that the hardest part would be sourcing the material.

I'm a bit north of you , in Northern Virginia, so I have an idea of the kind of heat you get. One trick I used to use was a pop up canopy. My Astro fit under one fairly well, and took a noticeable amount of the heat out of the sun. My Express? I'm agonna need a bigger canopy!

Working on the trailer a little, getting ready for a trip in March.  I swapped the directional antenna for an omni-directional one. 
20180219_113253.jpg

I added a third section of antenna mast and a bracket at the roof line of the camper.  This I left a little loose so I can remove one section of mast.
TV ANTENNA 4.jpg

The bottom section is bolted to the hitch frame. Used two bolts and a piece of strap metal.
TV MAST 2 600.jpg

When on the road, I remove the middle section and lower the antenna to rest on the roof of the camper.  A couple of wraps of duct tape around the mast sections, keeps it from rattling.  The excess coax is pulled into the camper.

Attachments

• 20180219_113253.jpg
    20180219_113253.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 10
  • TV ANTENNA 4.jpg
    TV ANTENNA 4.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 6
  • TV MAST 2 600.jpg
    TV MAST 2 600.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 10
I read your entire thread for a friend who is building same style/size trailer. It is coming along very well.
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. May she rest in peace and may you & family find peace.