I MADE A REMOVABLE CARGO TRAILER BED!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotSpringsCyclist

Reaction score
Weee!  Feeling VERY blessed.  My husband got *GIFTED* the old carpet cleaning cargo trailer from work.   Quite hilarious.  Everyone else got alcohol... fancy rum and such... but we noticed that not a single gift had his name on it.   Then, after everyone had oogled their fancy whiskey and such, they led us blindfolded, outside and the old trailer had a big ole' bow on it!   :D  He deserves every bit of it!  He has worked his ASS off over the years, and done so much service work.  I am so happy for him!

(Now, to talk him into teaching me how to DRIVE with it!  Heehee!)  I do part time van life... simple build, all removable for kid hauling and work.  

24 ft. long, and ... about 5,2" wide (I know this because I am the exact height!)

It came with click-in brackets along a strip where more brackets and tie downs of various types can click into.  

I used a table saw to cut three bed railings to go nto the brackets.  I cut about 2 inches off width-wise of a standard sheet of plywood, flopped a standard twin mattress on top, and WAH-LAH!  Used some more plywood scraps to fill in the sides.  The bed butts up against the back bay door (fold down, toy hauler ramp)  I also screwed into the 2x4, an inch-tall *barrier,* at the end by the man-door, to keep the wood and mattress from flying forward.  I had that done in just under an hour.  Can store 9 standard sized Sterilite totes under there.  Tools used :  Just a skillsaw and a table saw.  Probably didn't even need the table saw.  Money spent?  ZERO.  It was all crap we had laying around taking up space.  

Can you see me beaming with pride?  He loved it.  

He is taking the Scouts up to snow camp this weekend in Northeastern Washington state.  I am a good human and bought him a Buddy Heater and 5 gallons of propane.  There was a bit of a run-around with the fittings.  Two hoses exist... one for the bigger Buddy Heater, and one for the smaller one (4000-9000BTU).  The smaller heater needs a male end since it's made for the green tiny cylinders only.  So watch out for that one.  Get the bigger and more expensive hose... it's that one... with the black twisty dealy at the end to screw it into the tank.  Money spent:  Buddy Heater $80.  Hose:  $39.00 (local ACE - we are in the middle of a snowstorm, so Home Depot across town was a no-go!)