The heat is coming to the low desert. What now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorVation

Reaction score
Last year when the heat hit the low desert I climbed in elevation gradually via Rt 66 and or 40 up to Flagstaff AZ in May where it was still pretty nice. I left this area in late March I think.

I have an appt April 16th in Indio CA for my second vaccination (which will be hotter than a skillet by then) so I'm thinking about heading west and going up in elevation over that way. I haven't made my mind up about that but I don't think I want to repeat last year's route because I've already seen it. Who knows, I might change my mind. Within three weeks to a month it will probably be less difficult to get the second shot somewhere else, or even at another Rite Aid.

In which direction is everyone scattering?

I actually think it is cooler this year. Today barely broke 70 degrees for a high. The winds are way worse though, I can't imagine the number of broken awnings.

I will stay in the low desert for the heat, with my sombrero & cooling towel, my shade, AC, and the swimming pool. Its tough duty but someone has to do it.
-crofter

First N.California then the OR/WA coast.

I may alter that plan if gas prices look like they'll stay high on the west coast.

My second shot is April 1st so I won't be traveling more than 300 miles away from here until April 15th. This will be the first summer in several years I haven't worked a seasonal job, so I have a lot of maintenance and catching up to do as well as unfinished projects. I like the hot weather and I need to loose some weight so maybe I'll be fishing from the kayak more this year!

A slow trip north through Nevada and into Idaho. I'll be getting vaccinated in Nevada

I'll have my rig ready soon and have also wondered where and what.

Sounds like being here where Or., I'd. and Wa meet is about right for summer.

Thinking of trying out some of the pike minnow bounty fishing on the Snake and Columbia River...

http://www.pikeminnow.org/

desert_sailing said:
.... where Or., I'd. and Wa meet is about right...
The middle of no where for sure. But not in a bad way. Say hi to Steens mountain for me.
-crofter

I spent chunks of last summer in the eastern half of WY and MT. I didn't know what to expect, but I enjoyed it. Later I drifted through ID, OR, NV and northern CA. Spent several weeks in the Sierras. It was a good summer — except for the fires.

It is looking like it will be another bad fire season this year as well in Arizona and southern Utah.

Fire dodging will for sure be a thing in the Western US. It is that way most years but some are worse than others depending on the weather patterns. El Nino and La Nina weather patterns tend to be the predictors of what will happen in the West. But there is also "The Blob"in the norther Pacific waters that  influences the weather pattern in the Pacific NW.

Warm but not too hot, except for occasional days. Low humidity, of course. A thunderstorm now and then, but nothing problematic.

We're not getting out until May, after we get our new "Covid house" in order and I finish my little garden harvest. Then we'll be heading up to Northern New Mexico and maybe Colorado. We've been talking about doing some of the lesser parks in Utah, but I don't know about the crowds during the summer-that will have to wait until the shoulder season this or next year. We both have cabin fever pretty bad.

It sure is nice to be out and about after getting my second jab. I went to a restaurant yesterday with #3 son and sat inside! It was the first time we've been closer than six feet apart in over a year. But I've kinda gotten used to sitting outside...
Ted

I didn't just start this thread and disappear. I've been soaking up the info. Thanks for that. So far, I'm leaning towards the north side of Joshua Tree National Park area. It's not too far from Indio where I'm scheduled for my second shot next month and it's at higher elevation. I think I want to boogie out of Quartzsite by the weekend. Still have a couple days to decide. I'm kinda sad about it though. I love this area.

This I can say with authority. I do not want to head back to Florida. Not now.

Latest posts