The ground clearance thing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I visit various humorous automotive sites. It has become a form of amusement for guys to buy the cheapest still-running cars they can find on eBay or wherever, then take them out to the boonies and shoot videos of them thrashing around. 

From the point of view of anyone thinking about living in a car out on public land, it's interesting to see how far they can get with low ground clearance, front wheel drive and worn out street tires. Of course, they don't care about smashing up the cars. They're going to junk them.

I think the lesson, though, is that if you took it easy and picked your line carefully you could get off pavement farther than you think in a mere car. In my years of nomading, I've seen cars in places I didn't think were possible.

I'm just a little surprised to hear about that.  You'd think these guys would run in demolition derbies, instead.  There, at least, they'd have a shot at winning some money.

Had a friend whose family had a huge family farm. They let us "use" it anyway we wanted.

We would a buy car from neighboring farms, get it running and it was on.

Had a Dodge Coronet 440 with snows on the back, would make 15 foot roster tails of dirt.

Had a hell of time changing wheels until I learned d/s had left hand lugs! Stupid Mopar!

Let a friend drive it and in a minute we were rolling. My hand got crushed and he broke his arm. Good times!