The Girl's Room?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For women: Vote for a title to the sub-forum currently the "Girls' Room" --

• Women's Forum

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Women's Room

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Women's Issues

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Remain as Girl's Room

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Ladies Room

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
XFILE36 said:
My vote is for Ladies Room, as in ladies and gentlemen.  I like to think most of us fall into either category.

I appoligize for not seeing your suggestion XFILE36.  It was truly unintentional.  "Ladies Room" has been added as an option to the poll.

I use Tapatalk and I see no poll .... just to let you know for the sake of others who use Tapatalk.
I really cannot get up any concern over what I am called. I am much to old to give a darn.

It doesn't matter, to me. I have more things to worry about than the PCness of a forum title.

I'm such a newbie, launching in my mini-van in a few weeks, (pics to come) but I'll throw in my 2¢, I voted for Women's Room but also like Women's forum.

Mary Ellen

I voted for Ladies Room but I like the suggestion of Women to Women a lot better! Really though it doesn't really matter what it is called as long as we still have a place to come, learn, ask questions and visit! I am so thankful for this thread and all of you lovely ladies!!

Often being able to change something that bothers one is very empowering.  And that is a worthwhile activity.  Just because one isn't bringing about world peace doesn't mean that deciding to fix something one thinks is wrong is somehow petty!  

I do think that language matters.  How we say things matter.  I prefer the name to describe the intent, so for me Women's Forum works.  

The reason I don't mind having a forum dedicated to women's issues is that while many women can feel comfortable talking with men and discussing personal issues with men, not all women do.  There are also many women who can feel attacked by ridiculing statements and if those statements happen to be made by men it can feel doubly threatening.

Since men can come to this room but not post I certainly have never asked many questions that I might have asked otherwise. I don't feel we are alone here at all

Probably the most useful element of this thread to me is to see the many thoughts on the subject.

I am in full agreement Snow Gypsy.

Cammalu said:
Since men can come to this room but not post I certainly have never asked many questions that I might have asked otherwise.   I don't feel we are alone here at all

This is something that I've felt too, Cammalu. Yet, I haven't known if this can be addressed, whether a truly private forum can be set up up here? I know in other forums that I've been in, the users had to have a short face to face Skype or FaceTime call with a moderator to establish identity and gender for the women's space. There are other options too.

There were some transgendered folks in one online community I was in and bringing them into our inclusive community and then discussing this was actually a huge part of our learning curve together. Other communities that I've been a part of have decided to either include transgendered women on a case by case basis or to remain wombyn's only space (born with a womb and still have a womb). I know these kinds of topics are probably off-topic here, but wanted to add this in, just in case there might be a feeling among us about moving towards a truly private women's space. 

Happy gorgeous Monday morning to you all.

AD

Cammalu said:
Since men can come to this room but not post I certainly have never asked many questions that I might have asked otherwise.   I don't feel we are alone here at all

Agreed.  If you go to the bottom of the main page to "Who's Online" and click next to it for "Complete List", you can see who is reading what.  Many many times you will see the male members reading this sub forum, we are definitely not alone.

I'm on a cycling forum where the women's section if blocked from view except for the members who have posting permissions there.  It is much more free wheeling and many more topics are discussed that wouldn't be in a public forum.  I have no idea if the forum software here supports that type of thing, or if Bob would have any interest in it, but I wanted to share that it's been done elsewhere, and it allowed for some very frank discussions.

Well, I guess asking about who's getting laid on the road is out [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I have no issue with it being named "Girls Room", I always just thought of it as a cute play on words like girls chatting in the girls room. It doesn't offend me at all but it doesn't matter to me at all if it's changed. :)

I have far more issues with it not actually being just for us ladies, as you have all noticed and mentioned above....we are not alone.

I have created and run forums before and there is a way to set it to where only approved members can read/write in certain forums. But then that opens a whole can of worms about who is going to manage and approve people in that one forum and how will you know if who's requesting to be added is in fact female.

Great subject though, and I look forward to seeing where it goes. :)

Cammalu said:

My understanding was that this forum isn't meant to keep men from reading but to keep them from running roughshod over the discussion.  
Maybe instead of "Girl's Room", "Women's Room", etc. it should be called the "Play Nice and Don't Be a Jerk Room".

The subject matter doesn't necessarily revolve around lady parts or women's issues.  I feel like this is the place where the faint of heart can ask absolutely anything without someone making them feel foolish or overloading them with useless information.  As much as I hate to generalize, men do seem to take over ownership of a problem or issue whether you want them to or not.

mayble said:
As much as I hate to generalize, men do seem to take over ownership of a problem or issue whether you want them to or not.

That's one of the things I like about men.

It's so funny how we all are so different [emoji5]

Re: "[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]As much as I hate to generalize, men do seem to take over ownership of a problem or issue whether you want them to or not."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A lot of women do this too. I have been told that I do. I try not to though but fwiw, I don't get offended when told I am dominating a discussion unless it is some man upset that HE doesnt have ownership of the problem, especially if it was my own problem in the first place :)[/font]

The poll is now closed. "It doesn't matter to me" got the most votes with "Women's Forum" following a close second. The title of the forum will be changed to "Women's Forum.". Thanks for your participation.