the Flexible Apartment Roaming Transport build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmekdahl01

Reaction score
Well I got tired of trying to imagine what the inside of my van would look like, so I did a little planing. I tried to draw everything out on paper first, but that ended up just being a bunch of squares and eraser marks. So I made a 3D model of it instead, its not exact, but its pretty close. Once I actually have the van I will be able to make this more accurate. The inside is modeled after a Chevy cargo van, loosely.
So here is what I have so far.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    171.7 KB
  • Front right.jpg
    Front right.jpg
    294.7 KB
  • Back left.jpg
    Back left.jpg
    272 KB
Didn't go thru it to see if you covered everything, to new to this stuff to tell if everything is covered. One thing I heard on my build concepts was to try and keep batteries away from rear. I am planning on 4 T-105s though, that's about 250 pounds. Love the look of your setup though! What software are you using for the 3d modeling? Thnx!

Thanks, but what's wrong with batteries in the back? And I used a program called SketchuUp, its free for 30 days or something.

sketchup is free, the pro version is for 30 days. How about posting your SKB file? I'd love to play with what you have put together.

Batteries like T-105's are a FLA, (flooded lead acid) battery that when charging at 10 amps or more will begin to and later on in the charge cycle begin to produce hydrogen gas. It's called gassing. and it is DANGEROUS. You need to make sure that if you are putting FLA's inside that you vent them outside.
I went to an awful lot of trouble to build and install two T-105's in there own battery tray underneath the side of my van mounted to the frame rails. Not sure about a Chevy but this is literally the only place on the outside of the van there was enough room.
You can see some of the pictures of it by clicking on the link in my signature.

pmekdahl01 said:
Thanks, but what's wrong with batteries in the back? And I used a program called SketchuUp, its free for 30 days or something.

Heavy objects need to be between the axles.  Heavy objects behind the rear axle tend to cause the front end to lift.

Regards
John

Have to agree with Optimistic Paranoid but within some reason.
I'm not so sure that with a later model standard length van that even 4 T-105's at the very rear will make that much difference to the weight bias on the van. If that was a the choice and then considering the amount of weight that will be indeed loaded between the axles I'm still thinking the weight bias should not be a factor.

I think it's fair to say that we have to consider what's practical for our needs as well and weigh that out against what would be optimal.

I know I wrestled with where I was going to put my two batteries and I thought about the weight factor but in the end I decided that on the frame rail of the drivers side was really my only choice outside the van. Space inside is terribly precious, we all know that.

Finally got my van, going to pick it up tomorrow!
uploadfromtaptalk1428547145602.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428547145602.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428547145602.jpg
    116.1 KB
I like it! Congratulations, you must be super excited!

Oh I am. Only paid 2750 for it and it came with a brand new, cut to shape carpet in the back.
Its a 2002 GMC savana with the 5.7L.

Congratulations on the new to you van!

Mine van is a 2002 Savana as well with the 5.7. Yours is a pretty yellow, mine is white.

One thing you might want to do is to lift that carpet and check if the old mat was left underneath it. When mine was lifted to access some rusty areas at the ribs it was soaking wet underneath. I wanted it out anyways so I could lay in plywood floor but the wet hastened it's demise.

I'm excited too, mine should be back from the mechanic/bodywork tomorrow.... :D

I just did a quick cleaning and also pulled out the carpet, and no rust, so that's good.
I've also decided that my original plan for the interior is not what I want to do, i need a bigger bed.

Got some goodies in the mail today, just waiting on the fan now.
I also tested my light setup with my new battery. I scored LED lights for a buck a piece, I bought 10, that should be plenty of light. I also want to wire in a dimmer switch in case I ever need to set the mood.
I've also decided to get some kind of roof rack to mount the solar panels to that way I'm not drilling a bunch of holes in my roof and it will let me move the panel around if the need ever arises.
e91d520c9e6c0d127952e3fae84423c4.jpg

940fda76cdf73ceda5232cc49e316347.jpg

Get on to Craigslist in your area, I just saw a few in denver that were good prices.

Not all LED lighting is dimmable.  Based on the price paid said:
Got some goodies in the mail today, just waiting on the fan now.
I also tested my light setup with my new battery. I scored LED lights for a buck a piece, I bought 10, that should be plenty of light. I also want to wire in a dimmer switch in case I ever need to set the mood.
I've also decided to get some kind of roof rack to mount the solar panels to that way I'm not drilling a bunch of holes in my roof and it will let me move the panel around if the need ever arises.
e91d520c9e6c0d127952e3fae84423c4.jpg

940fda76cdf73ceda5232cc49e316347.jpg

As far as I know all LEDs dimmable, you just need to get the right circuity to do so, regular dimmer switches will not work. Right now I'm deciding if I want to be cheap and build it myself or bite the money bullet and snag one from Home Depot.