The Conversion of Hannah (A School Bus)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice bus!  It really cleaned up well.

28' is a nice length, too.  I don't mind driving a long bus, but I want to regularly tow a trailer as well. My Bluebird is 37' long, and that is one of the reasons I haven't started converting it.  I just drove a 30' bus yesterday and liked both the length and the short wheelbase a lot better.  It left a bit to be desired mechanically, but I think I'll keep looking for one roughly the same length.

I like the fact you added a fuel tank.  I plan to do that as well.  I will also remove the monster federally mandated "it's for the children" steel cage around the fuel tank to save weight.  (There are millions of heavy trucks driving around with exposed aluminum tanks.  I've been in a truck wrecking yard and seen a bunch of crunched fuel tanks, all of which still held fuel. Ours are made of steel, which is much harder to tear open than aluminum.) 

I will enjoy watching your progress!

I'm really glad that went so well for you!

Think of all the firewood you can bring to the RTR in 2017!
Bob

I see from your pictures that you haven't repainted it yet.

Here in NY, an ex-schoolbus must be repainted any color EXCEPT Schoolbus yellow.

Which raises an interesting question:  If TN doesn't have such a requirement, what happens when you drive into a state that does?

Regards
John

So glad registration and insurance went well. My understanding of the reciprocity laws is that if a vehicle is legal in one state, it is legal to drive through another state. You may have to point that out to an officer if pulled over though.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Today I put down a layer of 30 weight roofing felt to act as a sound deadener and provide a little insulation (I hope) then a layer of 3/4" plywood.  The plywood is fastened down with #10 x 1.5" flooring screws which have a large flat phillips head.  They're a real PITA because they require a pilot hole to be drilled first.  I broke 2 bits.  Then the screws have to be drilled in EXACTLY perpendicular or they won't self tap the hole and you strip out the phillips head requiring you to use pliers to pull out the ruined screw and try again.  But hey, it's done, finally.  Tomorrow I'll cover the plywood with wood laminate flooring.  Then I can start framing walls, bed, storage, kitchen and bathroom.  OH, and let's not forget the "electrical & tool" closet.  No self respecting "tinker head" would be caught dead without his tools.  LOL.
Bus43.jpgBus44.jpg

Attachments

• Bus43.jpg
    Bus43.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Bus44.jpg
    Bus44.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 21
Awesome deal on that bus and looking great so far.

I look forward to updates.

Nothing like a solid foundation to build your new home and that floor sure qualifies !
Count me in with the bunch munching popcorn and watching to see what your build looks like .... ;) Keep up the good work.

Looks good!

If you want insulation on the floor the tar paper unfortunately probably won't do it. Polyiso foam board is one possiblity. Something to think about before you get too far into the build.

Good luck!

Thought about that and had originally intended to put 1" of Polyiso on the floor but changed my mind as 1. I don't want to sacrifice the 1" as I can just stand up straight as it is. I'm 6'2". #2: I don't plan to stay anywhere that's too cool any longer than it takes me to drive somewhere warmer. #3: Plywood is already down and half of the wood laminate flooring. Not changing it at this point. I opted for the tar paper because it didn't cost me anything and I thought it would be better than nothing.

Monday, April 18, 2016
Finished the plywood floor last week.  Yesterday I finally finished laying the wood laminate flooring with only two minor injuries.  Both to my left hand and thumb.  It kept getting in the way of my favorite adjustment tool; a two pound ball peen hammer.  LOL.

Bus45.jpg Bus46.jpg Bus47.jpg

Attachments

• Bus45.jpg
    Bus45.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Bus46.jpg
    Bus46.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Bus47.jpg
    Bus47.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks nice. Um... Not your hand [emoji22]