The Conversion of "Freedom" , our permanent bus home...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
things must be pricey where you are.....I bought 8 used door lock actuators @ 10.00 each from the wrecking yard here and did all my lower compartment doors.....only problem I have is when I open they all unlock.....they are all twin rods.

Oh yeah ... I also need ideas about making simple screens for the side windows. I was planning on using velcro, but I can not get over ruining interior appearances with big strips of velcro. How about some other ideas you may have ? Thanks

A locksmith could make a key. Perhaps cheaper if you pull one latch. Are they all keyed alike?

Yuck ! Our bus must have been made for import to a small Asian country somewhere .... Because this front door is NOT made for today's standard humans ! LOL Or maybe 'we' were just that much smaller in 1985, when the bus was made :blush::p

It is official, and I am now starting to worry ... The front door is too small for me to be able to put a wood jamb in it. I am going to have to use the existing metal sides as jambs. This will be Much harder to install the hinges. The hinge screws are small, and I now have to attach them to metal. The door metal is thicker than some on the bus, but it is still not THAT thick. I am now considering trying to bore some holes on the sides of the metal ( if I have room ) , and try to get some locking Acorn nuts on the back sides, with some needle nose pliers.
Please note this one terrible, yet essential piece of knowledge : This door is going to be VERY heavy ! I am guessing it will end up around 75 to 80 pounds. This is going to get stressful.

And I am currently stumped on the best way to attach screens. I have to come up with something, as I just don't want to put up a bunch of ugly velcro.

Bdog1 said:
A locksmith could make a key. Perhaps cheaper if you pull one latch. Are they all keyed alike?

Unfortunately, I do not know if they are keyed alike, or not. Might be worth checking into I guess. Thanks

PastTense said:
What is the size of your door opening?

31-3/8" x 79-1/4"

The issues are these : I'm using a 1.75" thick solid core door for security. Also using regular 'home' style door knobs and deadbolts, hardware, and hinges. I am putting in a home slider window. I wanted a LARGE sliding window in the door, so finding one reasonably large and in the shape/configuration ... while also not costing too much left me with a window that is SO wide, I don't have enough room to install a wood door jamb. But I do have flat steel factory door jambs, which will work as a steel jamb. This is the ultimate solution, but will require the hinges be mounted EXTREMELY well to the steel jamb. I said all of this, to say my plan is set. I just need to hear any great suggestions you may have as to obtaining this secure connection. Thanks

Hmmmm.....I'm a visual guy, so I'll need pictures of what you've got and how ya wanna do it if I'm gonna be of any help at all.

Wish I was there.

Patrick46 said:
Hmmmm.....I'm a visual guy, so I'll need pictures of what you've got and how ya wanna do it if I'm gonna be of any help at all.

Wish I was there.

Ok ... In this photo, where the temporary latch hasp is installed, THAT is the flat steel which is now my door jamb. The opposite one on the other side of the door jamb is about 3.5" wide. But these steel vertical beams are becoming my door jamb. And THIS is what I have to make hinges work with.

Jan312014_zps6a769dc1.jpg

And here is the same edge, shown closer. The left where the Lowes tape is the new door jamb.

011_zpsad5d40ec.jpg

Clan Graham said:
31-3/8" x 79-1/4"

The issues are these : I'm using a 1.75" thick solid core door for security. Also using regular 'home' style door knobs and deadbolts, hardware, and hinges. I am putting in a home slider window. I wanted a LARGE sliding window in the door, so finding one reasonably large and in the shape/configuration ... while also not costing too much left me with a window that is SO wide, I don't have enough room to install a wood door jamb. But I do have flat steel factory door jambs, which will work as a steel jamb. This is the ultimate solution, but will require the hinges be mounted EXTREMELY well to the steel jamb. I said all of this, to say my plan is set. I just need to hear any great suggestions you may have as to obtaining this secure connection. Thanks

Not a problem. (Or much of one. The wood for the hinge goes to one side, and the other side (Latch) will mate to the steel. I have done harder ones with block walls where I had to plane down the frame wood to make it fit. while allowing for expansion.

JB Weld allows you to replace metal that had been over bored or stripped.

I also have found latches keyed alike on Amazon for the under floor storage.

In looking at your windows, I would go and look at a place that sells windows. Get ideas on how the screens are held in with the metal clips. It looks like you can pre fab screens from kits to fit in the track in front of your bus sliders.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, there is not any wood going in the jamb at all. That is what I was saying : ZERO room for wood. It will have to be an all metal opening, except for the top and bottom sill.
With you speaking of JB Weld .... I assume you are still thinking I should just drill and tap the holes, and trust nine small, sized 8 screws to hold the door in place long term ... even with the bus bouncing down the road ?

As far as the screens, I was sure hoping not to have to make frames for all of them ! But that is more and more what it is looking like will have to happen. I just have to figure out those swivel type screen latches.

Lastly ... I don't even have a clue what to search on Amazon for those keyed matching locks. Any suggestions ?

Regarding the screens...

Are the window frames metal? Could you fashion some sort of magnetic frame for the screen? Maybe put painted metal strips around the windows if it's not all metal?

StarEcho said:
Regarding the screens...

Are the window frames metal? Could you fashion some sort of magnetic frame for the screen? Maybe put painted metal strips around the windows if it's not all metal?

Never thought of painting the magnets LOL. Good idea. This was my initial thought process. BUT we just spent $85 on magnets, just to get the curtains hung. Strong magnets are expensive, and I would need fairly strong ones, as the screens have to withstand curious cats wanting out.

Last things first. Latch. If you are unable to order the latches keyed alike, you can take them to a locksmith who will be able to do it. Otherwise stamp numbers on them. I was able to find a supplier that had them keyed alike. This will get you started.
http://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc...2847078&sr=8-13&keywords=stainless+door+latch

Why not set the hinges with JB Weld. IMO that product will hold up to everything you throw at it. The alternative is to weld in a piece of plate steel, and tap that. I have used both methods. The latest was on the back door of a Jewelry store, where the steel door came with a steel frame, and because of the pre civil war building modifications had to be made.

WOW ! I am exhausted today. I have several big updates. The day before yesterday, we finally found a SECURE place to park our bus. It is now only about 5 miles away ( instead of 20 ), and it is now in a secured RV storage place. Much, much better. This is good, because all of our belongings we ordered have came in, and we need to be able to install them in a bus, which is secure.

The next big update, is we finally went and retrieved all of our belongings, which were in storage in East TX. Now we are about to start loading the bus with furniture and boxes. Once all of the new components are installed and working, we will be looking Westward bound.

But now I have to go and unload the stinking U-Haul.

Glad to hear that things are finally moving foreward again Clan.

as for the doorjams and stuff....noone said this project was gonna be easy!!

(...and truth be told, if this is as hard as it gets, then I'd be seriously counting my blessings!!!)

watching from out West!

Patrick46 said:
Glad to hear that things are finally moving foreward again Clan.

as for the doorjams and stuff....noone said this project was gonna be easy!!

(...and truth be told, if this is as hard as it gets, then I'd be seriously counting my blessings!!!)

watching from out West!

Ha ha ha ! :D That's about right ! I have few doubts that it is going to be anything less than harder as we go. As I get into better shape, it will become easier as well. I did just kill off one of my nine lives a short while ago however. I WAS ABLE to get the friggin couch in the bus !!! It barely, barely fit ... and my son and I both lost years from our lives, getting it in there. :huh: It is a high quality couch, from a nicer furniture store ... and it weighs like it cost ! LOL

We also removed the front door from the bus. Now I have to finish the front door labor tomorrow, and get it hung. Our old door is just sitting in place, as a 'dummy' door. The only other larger things we still have to get into the bus is a kitchen amoire, our wall heater, two large tool boxes, and our King mattress.
While this is good, since we no longer pay the $160 monthly for storage, and have all of our belongings with us finally, it is also bad. Because we have to finish the bus's work around all of our belongings now. :( The bus has boxes and furniture everywhere, and I have to finish the bed platform, the side walls, the kitchen table, install the wall heater, install the font door, and finish the wheel hump covers .... But hey, at least we are making progress.

So I am about to be VERY friggin busy ! I will try and update ofetn, but I will be draggin azz too LOL.

Hello everyone. It has been .... difficult. I am making daily progress, but it is SO slow. The front door from scratch is proving a challenge. I knew it would be, but it seemed my ONLY good option. I had trouble with some Plastic Wood setting up properly. I am going to try for fitment tomorrow, and try and finish the door for hanging. The main thing dragging me down though .... is the sheer exhaustion I am having trouble recovering from LOL. More tomorrow ... and photos, I PROMISE ! :angel::rolleyes:;):p

This morning I am putting even more Plastic Wood on the door, and HOPE it will be finished and ready to Kilz tonight, and if I can get it to that stage, I can install the window and door hardware and be ready to hang it ! I will keep everyone posted ...

Yeah .... it sucks ... LOL The weather is freezing once again, with 40 mph winds and cold rain. So the door is pretty much ready to hang now. Looks amazing, and is waaaaaay better than any storm door I could afford. I now have to try and get some nicer weather, so I can install keep installing. Cheers

Latest posts