The Conversion of "Freedom" , our permanent bus home...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try an inverter and a regular 110vAC frig. We discovered that using an inverter with 110vAC lights was half the price of buying Thin Lites. Just remember to keep your inverter close to your battery bank (not in the same compartment) and you can stretch AC wiring longer distances.

I'm a firm believer in multiple dedicated inverters. I have a small cheapie that runs our lights, electronic for my LP range and the vent fan over my range. We will get another for the TV/DVD and probably, at some point, another one to power the freezer and refrigerator. We have a progressive dynamics 3 stage charge wizard to charge the batteries. In the next year, we will be adding an LP generator so the inverter for the freezer & refrigerator is in question.

The inverter residential fridge route is only cheaper if one already has an inverter capable of starting the fridge, and it becomes more expensive quickly as the user realizes they do not have enough battery power or recharging sources as they consume 2x the battery power and the batteries die a faster death due to chronic undercharging..

The Truck fridge is still the least expensive danfoss powered 12v fridge front loading fridge. Some chest types can be less expensive if you shop around and find a deal

You can save some money by not getting the additional 120vAC option. if you already have a converter, it will basically power the DC only fridge whenever you have grid power available.

My Vitrifrigo was another 100$ for the AC/DC version over just the dc version.

If you do not have a converter, Here is an adjustable voltage 12v power supply capable of 30 amps for 23$
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Reg..._sbs_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MMM4CAGHVYY5P2EYYRV

It holds a rock steady voltage when loads are switched on and off. I just got one. Probably the best manual battery charger available and for a fraction of the price. Mine maxed out at 37.9 amps. Fan was kind of loud. Already addressed that.

What a bummer! Just finished reading this whole thread from start to finish. Nothing posted since 09-14-2014? What happened to Clan Graham? This is no way for this saga to end. :huh:

ainley53 said:
What a bummer!  Just finished reading this whole thread from start to finish.  Nothing posted since 09-14-2014?  What happened to Clan Graham?  This is no way for this saga to end. :huh:

Sometimes things happen.  

I am waiting myself...

I'm not unsympathetic but,Maybe some one should have read the "Failure to Launch" thread before starting out.