The choice overwhelms me! (Looking for a camper rather than a full time dweller)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so used to driving sedans and small pickups I will have to get used to the feeling of sitting on top of the front wheels, lol, entering / exiting parking lots is sorta spooky at first
Just keep looking, and I'm sure you'll find that perfect van

Yeah, I'm going to have to actually know the height of my vehicle... might put a sticky on my dash to remind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today I went to view this: https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/6043989264.html

My first impression of the outside was good, however once we got into the van, it was a mess. I don't really care about the condition on the inside, but there were cigarette burns and stains all over, things were broken off, lights and doors didn't work... it just screamed "not looked after", and my theory is that this stuff is the easy, cheap stuff, so I would bet that the engine has had even less love.

The test drive was actually good, but once we got to a stop I asked what under the carpet looked like, and wow - rust all over. I had him dig his hands in because the carpet was so gross I didn't want to touch it. And I dumpster dive, so that's telling you something...

Finally, I inspected the engine and the body underneath, and there was lots of rust. That, combined with the poor upkeep of the inside, said that this was not a loved van. The guy had literally bought it 2 days ago but his girlfriend hated it and told him to get rid, and he had bought it without even knowing the history of the thing, or even seeing it. So many red flags I could barely see the vehicle for them!

So the search goes on. With each one I look at I learn something new. This time, under carpet checking is important!

thehellend said:
Yeah, I'm going to have to actually know the height of my vehicle... might put a sticky on my dash to remind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many, many people have their vehicle height taped or secured somewhere on their dash so they remember/are reminded when they approach all those low clearance bridges ...  Always a good idea!!!

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Many, many people have their vehicle height taped or secured somewhere on their dash so they remember/are reminded when they approach all those low clearance bridges ...  Always a good idea!!!

I have one on my 32' motorhome, but as it's still under 12' I've never encountered anywhere that was even close.  IIRC, OTR trucks are 13'6'.  My high-top B-van is just under 10' tall so the only places I really can't go are fast-food and bank drive-throughs and parking garages... I don't even try.  That way I don't have to worry about it.

John61CT said:

Watched the whole thing, the follow up, and the bridge's evil little brother video, and I still want a high top. :)

Is it weird that I found the crashing noise strangely satisfying?