Texas gulf coast for winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunny u are awesome Pam can vouch I just sent her the same link u posted at the same u were posting this, thank u!

You all will have a blast. just pay attention to the signs warning about 4 wheel drive only, they mean it. Easy to get stuck. Many have tow straps and will gladly drag you out, tease you a bit and invite you for a beer.

Yogi, great minds think alike.

Like Gunny said, that bridge isn't scary. Looks high until you get on it but once on, it is just another road. The high 5 mixmaster in Dallas bothers me more than that bridge ever has.

The high 5 in Dallas slants, it makes me nervous.

There was an older bridge that got hit by a barge or two. It was taken down I believe. I would bet you will have no issues on either of the ones sent the links to. Once you get there and find ya'll a good spot it should be great.

My pacemaker tuneup is the 28th of this month then I have a break unless there are problems. I may join you all for a day or two. Will try and bring my Granddaughter.

pamerica said:
Okay, all this talk about big, bad bridges makes me queasy. Is there any other way to get to Padre Island?

Swimming :p

Sounds like you all are probably going to be there before my vehicle is roadworthy :/ Have fun!

muddy said:

Sounds like you all are probably going to be there before my vehicle is roadworthy :/ Have fun!

40 years ago I probably would have tried that, and jumped off the bridge first, too!  Somers Point, New Jersey comes to mind.

Gunny, hope you can make it down and thanks for the links/info..

muddy said:

Muddy, we may be there for awhile, maybe we willnever leave:). And it will take us awhile to get there. Maybe your vehicle will be ready, thanks for your helo!

I have been reading about the beach camping and dont have it clear in my mind, i also I am trying to envision diffently kind of vehicles. So could be wrong on all of this, then I just go to the campground and pay my four dollors!

So is there some area of the beach that can usually be camped on in most vehicles? Like could a heavy rv go there? Looks like south beach is just 4 wheel drive. If u had 4. Wheel drive and towing a trailer could u go there?

Those pictures really help, and campground truely is on beach, and the best idea is to call and talk to ranger. Thanks a ton!

I will talk to my youngest daughter this weekend at some point, when she was at Rice (Houston) she made Galveston or Padre often. Just to study away from the crowd. She has some good spots. I will pass them along.

There are also some normal campgrounds there if you don't want to drive on the sand.