Texas gulf coast for winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i can see why people don't caravan after they have tried it once. We have all said we have had thoughts of heading out on our own. Different vehicles needs, animals, driving speeds, rest stops, traffic what could go wrong here! 

I keep saying I am practicing being in a group and I really am, so far so good, helps when u have good people around.

Mr. Noodly, I am usually not a big fan of socializing either but I am surprised how much we have to talk about, how much we have in common, I think everyone feels pretty comfortable.  Hope to see u there.

Be great to meet u almost there.

Do have to add for me the group stuff is way more of a challange than one to one, can't hear half the time!

Paid to go on a caravan to Mexico years ago. The host turned into a mini-hitler and I turned around and went home.

Dogs and cats get along famously, so long as they're properly socialized, I've almost always had both
You folks headed to the gulf cost are welcome to spend a night on my property on the way, if you're near Garwood, and the Columbus WalMart / HEB parking lot is boondock friendly, too
If you overnight at the HEB, and it's not a Tuesday or Thursday, (my days off) step into the dairy section and look for a big redheaded fella, and say hi to me!
personally I like caravanning, but my method is
state highways and country roads, nice and easy so any stragglers can catch up

The main benefit of caravan-ing is if somebody breaks down....
Though several traveling roughly parallel courses in touch by phone can keep a good amount of that benefit with a longer wait time for the troops to arrive.

NickTheoBennett said:
The weather does look pretty decent there.  Check the chart here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_Christi,_Texas#Climate

I use Wikipedia for this a lot.  Most decent sized cities have a chart in their wiki entry stating average highs/lows and precipitation by month.

I have a tiny plot of land in Coldspring, TX, and never thought to look at the wikipedia site for it.  Nice tip!

When I used to travel with a motorcycle I found 3 people to be a good number. More than that and I was always waiting for someone to finish with something. With just 2, you run out out of stuff to talk about.

Shopping at Texas Gulf Coast?  It's good to read all these views on the Texas Gulf Coast. Does anyone know how far are supermarkets, gas stations, RV dumps, water and so on?  Do you know of a good source to learn more about the area for those things? I see plenty of articles about hotels and attractions but looking for basic everyday needs while we camp.  I imagine we'll travel around some but intending to land at South Padre Island or thereabouts. Thank you.

If you don't like ferries, don't get on 361 in Aransas Pass going to Port Aransas. During festivals and weekends the waiting line can get very, very long. Go around through Corpus Christi. There are a couple of tall bridges that might cause some serious white knuckles for the inexperienced.
Be prepared for those occasional northers coming down. That cold goes to the bone.

bigsallysmom said:
If you don't like ferries...  

...tall bridges that might cause some serious white knuckles for the inexperienced.

My philosophy is that if things like that freak you out, then you should do them until they don't freak you out anymore.

bigsallysmom said:
If you don't like ferries, don't get on 361 in Aransas Pass going to Port Aransas.  During festivals and weekends the waiting line can get very, very long.  Go around through Corpus Christi.  There are a couple of tall bridges that might cause some serious white knuckles for the inexperienced.
Be prepared for those occasional northers coming down.  That cold goes to the bone.

Yikes.  I thought we were going to a nice, easy, warm winter paradise.  Thanks for the heads up.

New probable departure date either Oct 3 or 4. So far route is 40 to 25 then south thru NM.....further on has yet to be decided except for a visit to Roswell and possibly White Sands, Marfa and Big Bend N. P.. I also prefer a loose caravan where if there is a problem someone can be close by to assist. Picking meeting spots (rest areas, etc) along the way to each camping site is a good idea.

dogear52 said:
New probable departure date either Oct 3 or 4. So far route is 40 to 25 then south thru NM.....further on has yet to be decided except for a visit to Roswell and possibly White Sands, Marfa and Big Bend N. P.

If you were to wait a month to go to Big Bend, you could be in Terlingua for the big annual chili cook-off.

http://www.abowlofred.com/

Also, be forewarned that all the galleries and studios in Marfa close down on Sundays, because that's what the art world has always done. Never mind that Marfa is in the middle of nowhere and should be more accommodating to those who schlep all the way out there.

If you take highway 67 south from Marfa to Precidio on the border, then take highway 170 east, more or less following the Rio Grande, you'll go through Big Bend Ranch State Park. Keep your eyes peeled for what looks like a old Mexican village. It's actually a movie set. You can wander around in it if you like.

Correction to departure date: It's Sept 26 or 27 from McHood near Winslow.

Pamerica
Northers that go down into Texas that far happens maybe once or twice a year so don't sweat it too much. It seldom falls below freezing. Snow may fall every 20 years or so. Carry some base layers and blankets and have a way to heat your home or yourself and you will be fine.
MrNoody
Nothing says you can't drive over a bridge a couple of times a day until you can do it without bending the steering wheel. I'd suggest to the newbies with anxiety to read up on how to take long, steep inclines and practice on smaller ones before attempting the bigger. My sister would totally disagree with me. She had an accident on a bridge and now won't go across flat ones unless they were under a certain length. She drives many miles out of the way to miss every anxiety inducing bridge.

I believe the state of Texas removed all but a couple of the structures of the Contrabando movie set recently along the Rio Grande. Due to safety concerns mostly.

So my 3 season would be fine and I've been over Big Mac a few hundred times not to mention the Royal Gorge bridge. Might be fun.

Okay, all this talk about big, bad bridges makes me queasy. Is there any other way to get to Padre Island? I mean, I understand that I probably have to go over a bridge.  Are they all as bad as you folks make them sound?

One of the bridges to Padre. You can check them out on Youtube. None are scary