Texas gulf coast for winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks poprouge. Haringen is on my short list of TX gulf area towns for when I settle down.

Most mosquitoes I ever got attacked by was in Aransas National Wildlife Refuge overlooking San Antonio Bay. Clouds of them! That was in September a few years back. In the spring I was at Padre Island and didn't see a mosquito. Could be the humidity was too thick for them to fly. Winter temps should keep them inactive.

If Cindy, Beth and Chris are going to be there, so will I.

Dragonfly Ivy and Cricket.

Excellent, Diane! This'll be fun!!!

dragonflyinthesky said:
If Cindy, Beth and Chris are going to be there, so will I.

Dragonfly Ivy and Cricket.

Is Ivy missing me much??... :D

When you all decide when and where please post it, my youngest daughter will be there during her winter break.She is in Med School and needs a break. She graduated from Rice in Houston and the Gulf was her sanctuary. She has my old truck camper and knows the area well.

I've spent many winters here in my stick and brick house. They are mild and generally enjoyable (it was 70 last Christmas). We do occasionally get hard freezes so be prepared if you have piping and stuff so keep an eye on the forecast, but it probably won't be an issue.

Also, RE: earlier posts, it does snow on average once every 4 years in Houston :) I've never seen it stay on the ground, though. It's more of a novelty.

I'm planning on getting out to Padre Island as a shakedown cruise for my vehicle once I get it, feel free to PM me if you decide to go and we can meet up.

I should also add a note that Big Bend is a great place to stop if you are driving here from the west in wintertime.

A few of us are planning to head to Padre Island 1st week of Oct.. If anyone is interested in leaving with us our place of departure will be McHood Campground near Winslow, AZ or try to touch base as to our/your whereabouts for a meet-up there or along the way. Right now in planning stage esp as to where 1st to camp at Padre. Might possibly do some camping along the way in NM and TX (Marfa and/or Big Bend).

I am packing, cleaning organizing for next adventure to the ocean!
Gunny any chance u can come down?
If not I my head up to Dallas for a weekend to visit someone, yay Texas, here we come.
Any ideas on stuff to see on way appreciated
Thanks Chris for getting us going

There is an excellent chance I can make it after the 1st. A lot depends on how the cat scans go and if my ProTime test is within bounds. 

[font=Gotham, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Appointment Date/Time
Status
Clinic
Location10/17/2016 10:00
FUTURE
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FTW MH STETSON MURPHY[/font]
FORT WORTH VA CLINIC
09/29/2016 13:20
FUTURE
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FTW STONEGATE OPH3[/font]
FORT WORTH VA CLINIC
09/28/2016 09:30
NOT APPLICABLE
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]XFW THE PRAIRIE CT 1[/font]
FORT WORTH VA CLINIC
09/28/2016 08:00
FUTURE
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]FTW COWTOWN PACEMAKER[/font]
FORT WORTH VA CLINIC
09/22/2016 13:00
NOT APPLICABLE
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]XFW PROTIME LAB ONLY[/font][/font]

[font=Gotham, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]that's just a sample . But after the 1st things will slack up.... I hope.[/font]

copied from My Healthevet don't know how to change font.

Gunny said:
When you all decide when and where please post it, my youngest daughter will be there during her winter break.She is in Med School and needs a break. She graduated from Rice in Houston and the Gulf was her sanctuary. She has my old truck camper and knows the area well.

Will do! I don't expect to be there until mid March, but one never knows

Oh that would be great, if u can come down, maybe your daughter too on her break?

And get this my dog is doing great with a cat, neither of them pay much attention to each, weird! Of course I watch her like a hawk, I love cats, she is always on a leash. She is doing great with Chris dog too.

Sending positive thoughts on the scans :)

My wife and I are also interested in the Texas gulf coast this winter.  We were going to do the Florida Keys but it is just horribly expensive ($2000+ a month) and full.

I looked at the Rockport area and it looks nice.  We would want a spot for our 17 foot sailboat if at all possible, which somewhat limits our options.   We can take up to two other people out with us on a sail or fishing if things happen to work out for some of you to be in the area.

I am seeing lots of options all along that coast, looks easy, I was in the keys three times it wasn't easy! Grew up sailing would love to go. Thanks for offer, safe travels

My original plans for going to Baja this winter fell through, unless I want to do it alone again. Then I saw this thread, and even though I'm not a huge fan of either the Gulf or Texas, I got thinking, "Hmmmmm, maybe. It would be a change from the AZ desert. And I do like the beach a lot (I'm on the Pacific coast right now). I could do a slow crawl along the Rio Grande to get there, make a bit of a trek of it. Do something new."

I have Marianne Edwards' Frugal Shunpiker's Guide to RV Boondocking in Southern Texas. I got it out to see what she says about the Gulf Coast. Then I used Google Earth to look up the free beach camping spots she mentioned. Some are kind of bleak, but a few were appealing -- at least in photos. And it's not like I'd have to stay there if I didn't like it.

So, I'm still on the fence. If I do it, it will be pretty much on my own. It would be good to meet up with some fellow full-timers, but I'm not good at group socialization. And I suck at caravanning.

I suck at caravanning also!

To the point where I won't do it anymore.

I always end up playing hurry up and wait which is a game I hate to play.  My method of travelling with someone is 'meet you when we each get there'.

I'm headed that way eventually but my plans are written in very liquid jello.... :rolleyes:

Whenever I'm finished with the job I took this summer (date to be determined), I will leave out of here heading east...ya ya I know, I want to go west... :p 

I haven't seen eastern Canada and can't cross the border until Nov. 8th so I'll keep going east until then and then I'll figure out how to go south from wherever I end up. The Blue Ridge Parkway is on the 'must do' list and then I have to hunt down a friend in Georgia before heading west.

Sooo, maybe the gulf coast in time for Xmas, maybe not!

I love this type of planning!!