Texas gulf coast for winter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
Anyone spent a winter along the gulf coast, esp Padre Island/Corpus Christie area to near Brownsville.  There seems to be a lot of camping options along the island. Just thinking of options for this winter due to my not wanting to take any risks with my dogs and valley fever in the AZ desert anymore. I also might want to settle down somewhere else where the winters are mild and a small Texas town near the gulf is attracting.....never mind the heat/humidity.

It gets fairly busy down there with our winter Texans but there are plenty of places to put your rig. I like Rockport but as you travel the coast you'll find many small towns and decent areas.

I was a bit further north just South of Galveston Island in the winter of 13/14 & it was nice. A bit humid for my tastes but lots of nice places. Great people!

I've spent a month and some on Padre Island, Port A and Rockport. Love it! Can't wait to get back.

Head on out of there before spring break. It gets wild and the traffic is horrible!

Lived just north on Galveston Bay from 2011-14. Almost a constant breeze through the summer and Oct through Mar was great compared to the NE.
Still, I'd want ac through the summer and a relative that owned a bait shop.

I have a friend that is set up in an RV park right on the water in Rockport year round.
He loves it there and the rent is real cheap too. One of the first places I'm headed when I get out of here.......

Matlock
Up here we have a small rod for catching bait then chop chop and hook on the big rod.
The best bait is what they're chompin' on already......

I spent the winter of 1974 in Flower Bluff, Padre Island, and Corpus Christi. It was very cold in February with a light dusting of snow on the palms and frozen water on the ground. We had to abandon camp sand dune and get a room for a few weeks. While on Padre Island, don't sleep on the ground. The ghost crabs will try to eat you.

ccbreder said:
I spent the winter of 1974 in Flower Bluff, Padre Island, and Corpus Christi. It was very cold in February with a light dusting of snow on the palms and frozen water on the ground.

So, are you saying that you were there one winter when it got unexpectedly and unseasonably cold, or that this is the norm we could all expect in February?

Typical Texas weather, fluctuates daily. Or at least weekly. If you see a light dusting of snow the schools will close, they will have hourly reports on the dangerous road conditions.

If it lasts two days the grocery stores will sell out of staples. Weather there is good. Nippy at night but great during the day.

It's definitely on my to do list for this winter!

I like the ocean and will gladly take a bit of humidity to go with the ocean breezes.

But then I survived several mid west summers with the intense humidity that goes with a heat wave there so I'm kinda used to it.

You can drive onto the beach itself in many places but be forewarned, if you see a sign recommending 4X4 take heed. The hard packed sand and the sand that will swallow you look much alike. Carry tow straps as there is usually someone to help out.

Trainchaser, I don't remember the mosquitoes being a problem at all.

Almost There said:
It's definitely on my to do list for this winter!

see you there!

The humidity in the spring is nothing!

Well, John. I can only comment on my experience. Having been there for one year, over 40 years ago. It was then cold. Can you say Global Warming?

Feb can get quite chilly on the gulf coast. That's not saying every day is cold, but it can get cold enough that you definitely know it. It does freeze on occassion and sometimes it's a hard freeze, with that said the next day you could be in shorts. Winters typically do not see a 'skeeter problem, unless it's unseasonably warm.

They've had some wierd weather in TX in recent years. But it's not the norm

In the fall of 2013 I was chased by an icestorm beginning in TN all the way through NM, until I finally reached AZ

In the spring of 2014 I wason Padre Island and therre was talk of an ice storm. It never happened, but we had a few really chilly days and the evenings hovered in the low 30s.

The weather everywhere is and has been whack, for a few years.

Thanks to all for the replies/info. Overall it looks like a great destination for nomads.....and folks who want to settle down. I read that the town of Haringen near Brownsville is the cheapest place to live in the USA. I love the ocean as much as the desert so I'm leaning hard in that direction. Humidity? I spent 4 months beginning in April in the middle of Thailand while in the USAF (incredibly hot/humid!).... and many summers in St Louis and Kansas City.......only one summer had ac in St Louis. No problem! Maybe see some of you there.

dogear52 said:
 I read that the town of Haringen near Brownsville is the cheapest place to live in the USA. 

We own some property in Haringen, in fact, my grandfather retired and rented out RV/Trailer lots to snow birds.  Great place to live.