Tesla Electric Cybertruck For Truck Campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeBye

Reaction score
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tesla-electric-cybertruck-for-truck-campers/

Interesting design with an exoskeleton instead of body on frame or unibody.

Tesla Cybertruck – Single Motor, Rear Wheel Drive
250-mile range, 0-60 in 6.5-seconds, Top Speed of 110-mph, Payload 3,500-pounds, Tow Rating 7,500-pounds. MSRP (before incentives) $39,900.

Tesla Cybertruck – Dual Motor, All-Wheel Drive
300-mile range, 0-60 in 4.5-seconds, Top Speed of 120-mph, Payload 3,500-pounds, Tow Rating 10,500-pounds. MSRP (before incentives) $49,900.

Tesla Cybertruck – Tri-Motor, All-Wheel Drive
500-mile range, 0-60 in 2.9-seconds, Top Speed of 130-mph, Payload 3,500-pounds, Tow Rating 14,000-pounds. MSRP (before incentives) $69,900.

Attachments

• Tesla-Cybertruck-and-ATV.jpg
    Tesla-Cybertruck-and-ATV.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Tesla-Cybertruck-intended-for-camper.jpg
    Tesla-Cybertruck-intended-for-camper.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 17
A spec they left out is the range when towing a specific weight. That would be the proof in the pudding.

Tesla's biggest problem is their replacement/repair parts policies and the associated costs and availability. If you have an accident you can be without it for several months and forced to take it only to their authorized shops as they will not sell parts to anyone that is not working for them and they will not allow advance orders for parts not confirmed needing replacement. A fender bender can cost over $10,000 and take months to repair.

HalfShadows said:
A spec they left out is the range when towing a specific weight. That would be the proof in the pudding.

Its just a concept vehicle.  There is no pudding to proof.
Until they start coming off the assembly line and can be tested its just marketing hype.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Its just a concept vehicle.  There is no pudding to proof.
Until they start coming off the assembly line and can be tested its just marketing hype.
It was not a concept vehicle, that will be the vehicle.
Musk did state there will be improvements to the vehicle before it enters production.

My concern is the range under tow at specific weights. If the range is reduced by half or more then it is no more than a lifestyle vehicle. Unique to look at but totally impractical.

It's still early, iirc, the vehicles are a year or two away from delivery. I'm sure the towing/loaded specs will be available at some point.
When I first saw the photo my reaction was whoa, that's ugly!! However, after some reconsideration, I like it better than the new pickups bloated w/ faux bling.

Our son brought this up this morning. He was saying towing capacity is only 3500 pounds. Not much, maybe a teardrop.

@B and C
That's the payload rating for all three models. Towing rates increase between the three options,

HalfShadows said:
It was not a concept vehicle, that will be the vehicle.
Musk did state there will be improvements to the vehicle before it enters production.

My concern is the range under tow at specific weights. If the range is reduced by half or more then it is no more than a lifestyle vehicle. Unique to look at but totally impractical.

It's a concept vehicle; the same as any new truck you see presented at SEMA or Overland or any of the other car shows.  It might look the same as the production vehicle but there is little tooling and no assembly line yet.  It was hand made and judging by the reveal not to long before the show.

Cover-ur-ass engineering 101 teaches if a new product is going to be presented (especially by a big boss) you build multiples, find our what marketing wants to highlight and test the crap our of them (one of my jobs was to test product to failure and inform the presenter what not to do).  This obviously didn't happen.

As to range vs. load: there are a number of u-tube video's where people have towed things with a Tesla sedan to give a rough fist order estimate.

I just read that 146,000 orders had been made with a $100 deposit, so over 14 million in deposits? Man, I couldn't even sell ten custom built cars for the price of one of those trucks back in the 70's!

I put in a order (deposit) for the dual motor version this morning.

If it is still on schedule in 2021 or so I will trade in our Ford F150 4x4 for it.

Reasons:

1)  It has solar recharging.   Musk has said it will be able to generate 15 to 20 miles of range per day on average.  Might be room for improvement if you carry some solar suitcases.  Great for boondocking when you are just sitting in the sun in the desert.

2)  It has built in 110V and 220V inverters that tap off the main battery.  IE, it is a dream of a battery for boondocking.  You could literally run a small air conditioner for days on the size battery this thing has.

3)  Cargo capacity of 3500 pounds beats my Ford F150 payload of 2200 pounds by A LOT

4)  3mm thick stainless steel body is just bad ass.   This is three to four times thicker than a normal car.

This is a segment that’s happening.

Rivian is the competitor, but with a base price that matches the top end Tesla. Rivian has Ford backing and as I recall a 100k unit order from Amazon.

Electric vehicles are lower maintenance and reportedly there are Tesla’s now approaching 500k miles.

One accessory I’d like to see is a solar awning.