Tesla Cybertruck owners get warning from US Forest Service

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People think "I have 4 wheel drive I can go anywhere" but they don't realize that the 4 wheel drive is really for everyday driving and the tires that come with the vehicle are also designed to maximize mileage for everyday driving not off road use. Switching to an all terrain tire and one that is winter rated is what you want if you're going to go off road in the snow, and common sense, which unfortunately many (most) do not have.

Last edited:
That actually makes sense.

Looking at the video, it looks to me like the choice of vehicle was not the major problem, but the choice to get off the actual trail was the primary error.

lol!!! I’ve been stuck on wet grass in a Jeep in town! It can happen to anyone, anywhere. Most likely a combination of weight, to high tire pressure and lack of driver experience.

People sure do like to try and make fun of and denigrate the Cyber Truck.

It doesn't need their help.

Any vehicle could get stuck in that situation with the wrong tires.

slam everything Musk does for the last 10 years or so. It's kinda comical.
..not that he doesn't open himself up for a lot of it... but yeah... there is a consistent coordinated effort in the media to undermine anything he does.... he rocks the boat and many in power do not like it... he is a twit tho... too bad

Yah! Musk needs to spend more time on rockets, satellites, and EVs and stay away from anything (Twitter?) that might require a touch of PR. As far as the Cybertrucks, I can't say I'm a fan of the design. 4x4 they ain't. That's aside from possible Operator Errors.

That's ok. He never designed anything... nor invented anything.

He has far more expertise in details of the businesses he runs than the average owner. They are creative passion projects, not a means to wealth and power. What he has achieved (success, wealth, and power... sort of accidentally) is truly exceptional.

When he made some profit selling paypal in 2002, he immediately started SpaceX... with $100M of his own money. A couple years later he invests heavily in Tesla and becomes chairman and product architect. Nobody thought these were good business moves. Our big entrenched corporations don't pursue risky cutting edge tech, because they don't really understand it, and don't care... they just milk the same cows and try to figure out ways to squeeze more out of them.

Where the Cybertruck is concerned, he did a lot of the design... top level of course. But it never would have had that shape or stainless skin otherwise!

He has far more expertise in details of the businesses he runs than the average owner. They are creative passion projects, not a means to wealth and power. What he has achieved (success, wealth, and power... sort of accidentally) is truly exceptional.

When he made some profit selling paypal in 2002, he immediately started SpaceX... with $100M of his own money. A couple years later he invests heavily in Tesla and becomes chairman and product architect. Nobody thought these were good business moves. Our big entrenched corporations don't pursue risky cutting edge tech, because they don't really understand it, and don't care... they just milk the same cows and try to figure out ways to squeeze more out of them.

Where the Cybertruck is concerned, he did a lot of the design... top level of course. But it never would have had that shape or stainless skin otherwise!
Max Levchin and Peter Thiel created PayPal, according to Fast Company.

In March 2000, their company, Confinity, merged with Musk’s X.com and the execs later renamed the company PayPal.

I started following him after reading about SolarCity, his cousin's company. IIRC, he kinda bailed out his cousin when he bought into that company. They promised to bring rooftop solar to every household in America. Something like that.

Musk is a typical example of how 'you need money to make money'. He was born into extreme wealth in South Africa and used that wealth to create more wealth. That is the pattern.

His wealth enabled him to receive massive U.S. government loans and subsidies. Meanwhile his record at Tesla is dismal in regard to workers rights. He is very anti-union.

If I am wrong, correct me. I no longer follow Musk. Not for many years. I gave up around the time the power wall was introduced and it became obvious Solar City was most likely a money grab.

Musk is a typical example of how 'you need money to make money'. He was born into extreme wealth in South Africa and used that wealth to create more wealth. That is the pattern.

His dad was an engineer. Don't know where you got "extreme wealth" from.

https://marketrealist.com/p/was-elon-musk-born-rich/"Musk belonged to an upper-middle-class family in South Africa. So, while they were wealthy enough to have a comfortable lifestyle, they couldn't support Musk after he moved to Canada. Musk didn't get his early money from his parents for startups. There are many myths surrounding Musk’s parents' financial wealth. One rumor is that his father owned an emerald mine, which Musk denied. He actually worked his way through college and had $100,000 in student debt."

There isn't a business owner alive who wants to deal with unions. And his ventures wouldn't be successful if he treated his employees like shit.

His "wealth" didn't enable subsidies, but rather he successfully competed to get them!

Musk is the antithesis of turning piles of money into bigger piles. He makes money by successfully developing cutting edge tech and products. This is what I call true investment, because this is about the only activity that improves our living standards. It's a huge difference from getting rich by "investing" in real estate, stocks, or a million other scams and schemes that simply shift money into your account.

His dad was an engineer. Don't know where you got "extreme wealth" from.

https://marketrealist.com/p/was-elon-musk-born-rich/"Musk belonged to an upper-middle-class family in South Africa. So, while they were wealthy enough to have a comfortable lifestyle, they couldn't support Musk after he moved to Canada. Musk didn't get his early money from his parents for startups. There are many myths surrounding Musk’s parents' financial wealth. One rumor is that his father owned an emerald mine, which Musk denied. He actually worked his way through college and had $100,000 in student debt."

There isn't a business owner alive who wants to deal with unions. And his ventures wouldn't be successful if he treated his employees like shit.

His "wealth" didn't enable subsidies, but rather he successfully competed to get them!

Musk is the antithesis of turning piles of money into bigger piles. He makes money by successfully developing cutting edge tech and products. This is what I call true investment, because this is about the only activity that improves our living standards. It's a huge difference from getting rich by "investing" in real estate, stocks, or a million other scams and schemes that simply shift money into your account.
Your bias is too much for me:(

I'm biased towards people who are tech innovators, yep.
I don't like Musk much and like many business owners has mainly just hired the folks doing the real work. Edison hired Tesla. Gates may have been more of a business manager, but Microsoft would not have been what it is without him. And so on.

As I said, I don't like a lot about Musk. But without him we would still be riding Russian rockets, that's if they would still let us. There would be no Starlink, and the EV industry would be a shadow of what it is. I would put Hyperlink, home solar, and his more recent Twitter foray down as failures. And he's involved in other projects that the jury is still out on.

There's an old saying about giving the Devil his due. On the whole Musk has moved the needle forward - so far.

Back on topic of vehicles and tires, I used to only buy mud and snow traction tires. None were available when I needed tires once, I was talked into getting all season tires. The first time I needed real traction in snow they did very well, far better than I expected. I never bought the noisy traction mud and snows again. If i ever needed more traction heavy duty chains on the front will do a lot.

The tesla in question was the subject of poor driving choices, poor driving skills, and low experience dealing with the conditions much more than the vehicle type.