Tenting On Top Of Your Car!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_and_Jesse

Reaction score
Have you guys seen this?  If you live in your car, sleeping and hanging out in the rain just got a whole lot better!   :)  Check this out!

[video=youtube]

Love and All Good Things,

Jess.  :heart:

Oh to be young and flexible! Would have loved that many moons ago.

LeeRevell said:
Yep, same here.  Just not up to hoisting my substantial and stiff self up and down a ladder.

You can solve that problem by mounting the tent to a small utility trailer.  Would be very light and, folded down, almost no wind resistance.  Would then be easy to enter and exit.  Still leaves the problem of trying to sit Indian style, which is something I can't do anymore.

I was looking at these and the price tag is $2,000+. There are instructions on the internet for building a different source of one, but $2,000+ is too much for my taste. So, if you are up there and a bear stops by...........

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You can solve that problem by mounting the tent to a small utility trailer.  Would be very light and, folded down, almost no wind resistance.  Would then be easy to enter and exit.  Still leaves the problem of trying to sit Indian style, which is something I can't do anymore.

Had a buddy at a local motorcycle camping meet/rally do exactly that. Worked for him. I prefer the van.

You can look for a used one. Those have been manufactured since about the 40s. There used to be one with bright red and white stripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love these, wish I knew about them when I did a cross country trip in a 2 door Wrangler. They are a bit spendy, but I could justify the cost if I were going to be using it a lot.

I've even thought about incorporating one on top of my truck cap if going with a trailer full time. As then I could drop the trailer and do some remote camping in spots the truck can get with out the trailer.

I think if you had to spend a week in one in bad weather you would want a hard sided something or another. highdesertranger

Here is how my math adds up:

Desert + Wind = Hard Sided

Winter + Cold = Hard Sided

Bear + Eat Me = Hard Sided

Rain + Mildew + UV Rays + Being Packed away wet = Hard Sided

29chico had one on his van at the RTR. Personally I think I would either fall off the ladder or make a mess trying to "hold it" getting down in the middle of the night.

akrvbob said:
Here is how my math adds up:

Desert + Wind = Hard Sided

Winter + Cold = Hard Sided

Bear + Eat Me = Hard Sided

Rain + Mildew + UV Rays + Being Packed away wet = Hard Sided
The Bear + Eat Me is enough for me.

Some campgrounds in Ystone require soft sided to park in other areas than hard sided.

Having slept in bear country in a small 2 person backpacking tent more times than I can count and having the hairs on my neck stand up straight on occasion, I can say sleeping 5 feet off the ground in a car tent would be a welcomed luxury! Fortunately, people being dragged from their tents and eaten by bears is a very very rare occurrence. For some reason my mind rarely seems satisfied by statistics in bear country though.

The few times I did that, I slept with a gun cocked and ready. Only once had a blackie come into camp. We had all food in a bearbag hoisted up, some distance from our tents. No problem.

I'm just seeing myself trying to use a pee bottle in thet bitty tent and "no" comes to mind

LeeRevell said:
The few times I did that, I slept with a gun cocked and ready.  Only once had a blackie come into camp.  We had all food in a bearbag hoisted up, some distance from our tents.  No problem.

My uncle was a biologist for the Fish and Game Dept in Alaska. So him and his partner would spend weeks in tents in remote locations.  On top of that, they smelled like fish guts 24/7 because they worked with them day in and day out doing various studies, dissecting them, installing trackers, etc.  

He said protocol was for one to sleep with a .44 cocked and ready and the other with a 12 gauge pumped and ready.

I wish I had one of these when I was still tent camping but alas, I am too old and too fat for such a thing now :).