Television without antenna

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soozen

Reaction score
I'm not affiliated with Droidtv. I'm just one of their highly satisfied customers. I'm sharing here since we're all interested in saving money and doing so in comfort.
I've used DroidTV for over 10 years now. Three years ago, I cut cable completely. I have 7 lifetime subscriptions to their service for my family. It is NOT pirating. It is a completely legal service.
How it works is you select the show you want to watch, when you are connected to Wi-Fi,  the show will download to your Android device (phone or tablet), then you can watch it without Wi-Fi. You can either watch the show from your Android device or stream it with Roku or other streaming devices to your TV (any size). HD quality and without commercials. Another option is downloading shows from your Android device to your laptop.
They have most current primetime TV shows and loads of older shows. It's how I watch Modern Family, Gotham, Supernatural, etc. They also have old shows like Babylon 5, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Cheers, and many, many more. We never buy expensive DVDs of TV shows anymore. And we always have too much to watch.
You can try the free version at mydroidtv.com. They offer a monthly service as well as lifetime subscriptions.

I try to avoid pay-TV in any form. So I like my Hauppage USB TV tuner that plugs into my laptop. Receives free over-the-air local TV.

And I use YouTube downloaders to get shows. Whether or not TV rots your brain of course depends on what you are watching--watching documentaries makes you smarter, watching reality shows does not. ;)

A big advantage of getting TV online is that it gives access to TV shows from other nations. Some of the best history/science/nature documentaries come from British, Arab, Russian, Japanese, and German TV.

Youtube has an online subscription along with several others (HULU, etc). There is a free service announced in the last few days that is being rolled out in a few cities. I will try to find it.

lenny flank said:
I try to avoid pay-TV in any form. So I like my Hauppage USB TV tuner that plugs into my laptop. Receives free over-the-air local TV.

And I use YouTube downloaders to get shows. Whether or not TV rots your brain of course depends on what you are watching--watching documentaries makes you smarter, watching reality shows does not.  ;)

A big advantage of getting TV online is that it gives access to TV shows from other nations. Some of the best history/science/nature documentaries come from British, Arab, Russian, Japanese, and German TV.

^^^^^
I don't judge what people do or don't watch. I put this option out there because it works great for my family and some of the videos I've seen of people's viewing habits made me think it might be useful to them.

lenny flank said:
Hi Lenny,

Wondering what you are using for an antenna with your USB tuner?

Thanks, Vern

Vern said:
Hi Lenny,

Wondering what you are using for an antenna with your USB tuner?

It comes with one that plugs into the tuner.

RVTravel said:
Youtube has an online subscription along with several others (HULU, etc). There is a free service announced in the last few days that is being rolled out in a few cities. I will try to find it.

I have You Tube live TV and wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes it will cast to your TV and sometimes it won't. I would recommend Sling TV if you can get access to it while boondocking.