telemarketers - no more

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken ed

Reaction score
I almost never get phone calls from telemarketers. Sure there's lots of stuff out there to block and stop them from phoning. Some are apps and some are offered by my cell carrier. Telemarketers (most at least) seem to have a way around these fixes. I don't use any of them. But, I learned a trick many years ago, more like two decades, and I still use it today. I should make two points that may seem obvious to you if you're considering trying what I've been doing.

One; it's pretty drastic. Your going to have to let people know that you want to hear from on your phone what you've done so they don't think you've drop off the face of the earth.

Two; I don't know if it still works after all this time, although I suspect it does since I can go a month or more (sometimes six months) without receiving an unwanted call. And when I do get a call I don't want, I don't hear back from them.

It's called "Intercept message" and those of us that's been around a while will remember dialing (yes, dialing) a number and getting an automated recording stating "I'm sorry; the number you have reached is not in service, or temporarily disconnected." This was around before cell phones, but here's the important thing, the three-part tone that accompanies this message.

What many don't realize is; that this tone is to let the computer dialing your number know that it's no good and is a dead end. The computer removes the number from it's list when it hears this tone so it doesn't waste time with bad numbers.

I've recorded a similar recording (as the link above) in my voice mail greeting.

Now - I am a remarkably unimportant person. No one is trying to reach me,,, and if I knew someone was trying to reach me and didn't know about my greeting I can change it to the default greeting for a few days. But - consider things like your bank or credit card company trying to reach you before you do this. I'm required to have a phone for my bank account, but I'm not required to answer it. Besides it's always a text I get, same with my credit card.

Hope this helps some of you.

I do three simple things:

1. Most of the people I know hate using the phone as much as I do

2. I have my phone on airplane mode most of the time

3. I check caller ID when the phone isn't on airplane mode

I seldom answer a call from someone that isn't on my contacts list.  And then only if I know I have a call coming from an unknown number.

Latest posts