Talk about a small footprint...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4tour

Crank the volume and immerse yourself...&nbsp;<div><br></div><div><a href="" target="_blank"></a></div>

<FONT size=3>Some of us are so fortunate to have had the time to make a plan and prepare to be houseless.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>I think it's great that Santa Barbara is trying to deal with the issues of overnight parking.</FONT><br>

Indeed... very fortunate. I saw this video before. It is grim indeed out there. Makes me all the more thankful I got out early.

Agree with Cyndi on being glad some of us were able to prepare for being 'homeless'.<br>For those of you who are still living in homes, apartments, etc and <i>thinking</i> of going mobile - stop screwing around and get it done, before you're caught unprepared and with no money to finish or to get out.<br>I totally wasted a year paying whatever money I could get towards rent &amp; utilities; to the point where I shut off my hot water heater, didn't use any lights, the a/c or heat or the stove/oven, walked or biked everywhere because I had no gas, and most of the time I went days without eating. <br>At that point, I realized I was paying $650/month to camp in a hard-walled tent.<br>I kept hoping the economy would get better, hoping to find a decent paying, stable job. Sound familiar?<br><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 102); font-weight: bold;">It's not getting better and it may never get better.</span> <br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 102); font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 102); font-weight: bold;">Do what you have to do to Survive, because no one else is going to rescue you. </span><br><br><br>

I couldn't agree more 4x. In fact I think it's going to get very bad, very fast and very soon.<div><br></div>

4x4 I definitely take your post to heart and this video was a great reminder for me to quit dragging my feet.&nbsp; Times are uncertain.&nbsp; I certainly don't want to be caught during a crisis.&nbsp; Unfortunately so many people still haven't gotten the message yet, and there are enough examples of governments, banks, etc failing to give people aid. <br><br>

I wasn't that lucky and was caught flat footed. I didn't lose a house but lost a place to live without the benefit of a trailer for a while. I wasn't able to afford to get one because I was pouring every penny into making my bills on unemployment and savings.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I'm lucky that I found a job that's allowing me to prepare and become debt free, and I feel for these poor people who can't.</div><div><br></div>

I think things will improve slightly and slowly, but that's not going to help the workers who have already been caught in months and years of unemployment. It seems like there's a stigma against people who haven't had a job for a while - as if it has to be THEIR fault somehow.

We'll see what happens next year.

im not&nbsp;really&nbsp;sure if things are getting any better hear in&nbsp;Missouri&nbsp;so many peeps out of work &nbsp;including&nbsp;myself,&nbsp;i live on some land that is not mine working on a cabin that has no running water or&nbsp;electric&nbsp;in it and&nbsp;loving&nbsp;it, shower when i can get it.Just started working on my&nbsp;trailer hope to done soon&nbsp;

This thread makes me wonder if perhaps I have not started to prepare to late. Only time will tell. I am hoping to complete my trailer as I can tow it anywhere and be fully equipped. Worst case if it's not done I&nbsp;abandon&nbsp;it and we tow the more utilitarian trailer.<div><br></div><div>Times do seem to be getting more difficult for many from coast to coast.</div>

It is never too late as long as you are doing something about it NOW.<div>I fully agree and sympathize with 4x4chvy. That story about maintaining a hard walled tent is something that came to me a while back as well. It's something I always mention on the forums a lot. I'd rather keep that money for myself to feed myself and buy good clothes...</div><div><br></div>

I consider myself to be debt free to the point of owing no credit card bills, I do have a house payment but that's it, I am trying hard not to go in debt for a vehicle, working, looking and thinking daily how to make my GMC Safari work as a living space, trying to get my old open utility trailer ready to haul my bike on behind the Safari. I have lots of ideas, will just have to wait to which ones I want to use.&nbsp;