T1N sprinter vs 7.3l/Duramax bus reliability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surf44

Reaction score
Im trying to to get some knowledge from anyone that has experience with the 03-06 T1N sprinters or the 7.3L or duramax diesels. 

Ive been wanting to convert a vehicle for a while now, I bought a 1986 econoline 6.9l idi van last year and as much as I loved that beast it was just too gnarly to have a travel vehicle. From a point of reference this IMOH is the most reliable vehicle you could buy. Bought in CO on a whim for $1600 and drove it back to FL with only a tire blowout. The idi engines are tanks. 

I have extensively researched the 03-06 sprinter vans and that would be my top choice as far as the layout, speed capability, and mpg. But Im really hesitant on trusting how reliable those vehicles are. Im sure the engines can go 1 million miles but how much other stuff will break and have to be fixed to keep it going. And how expensive and hard will it be to find parts and fix it. 

My other option that I have been l have been really looking at is a Mini bus. Either a older 7.3l powerstroke or a newer 06-07 duramax. To me the powerstroke is the better option as far as reliability but really hard to find and usually older, rusty, and across the country. I know the duramax is reliable easy to find parts and has the power, just dont have any experience with chevy. 

Sorry if thats a lot just trying to get some suggestions and knowledge before buying since Ill probably have to make quite a trip to buy something. Really appreciate any help or tips Thanks

It's hard to beat the old 7.3 L Ford for reliabilty and low maintenance cost. I have one in my 99 PSD F250 with 245,000 miles. The motor has hardly been touched, and still runs beautifully, while the truck rusts off it's frame around it. We used to tow our 30' TT with it (fully loaded with 4 people, 2 dogs, and bicycles), and still got 14 MPG towing at 70 mph.

Yea there just so hard to find. Im in FL and the one worth any drive is in Washington state or California

Do you have any experience with the duramax?

Surf44 said:
Do you have any experience with the duramax?

In 40 years of driving, I have only ever had one Chevy of any kind, a Starcraft conversion van...nothing but trouble.

Iv'e owned about 10-15 Fords in that time period with very few issues.

You should made this into a poll vote post, but in my experience 7.3 diesel turbo would be your best option. If it's older than 94.5 it doesn't have turbo unless Banks system installed anything newer you are fine. Keep a spare cam shaft position sensor in the glove box from the factory (grey one) though.

I checked out some 2003-2006 Sprinters on Autotrader - you can still get some with decent miles at a pretty good price.

"you can still get some with decent miles"

LOL, that's because they have spent most of their life in the shop. don't get all butt hurt that's my attempt at humor.

I'd go DuroMax but I'm a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins fan & have the last month made until I bouught the ambo & lucked out with a '93 IDI, best year made & the whole unit has 80,000 miles & rust free, power everything, front & rear heat & air, everything works, looks a year or so old. Just don't buy a 6.0 Power Stroke. Paid $2000. Injectors for the Cumming & IDI are under $300 per set, for the power Stroke $3000+ so I learned where the Stroke part of the name comes from.  :huh:

Yea the im a big fan of the idi, imh it has to be the most bulletproof simple and cheap engine and transmission. Only problem with them is they’re slow, loud, and not meant for power. For me to own one to travel id have to put a banks turbo and an overdrive on it. Which then it starts to get pricey.

i have been extremely happy with my 97 powerstroke in a short bus (5 window on E350 cutaway 9600#gvw) i bought it for $1000 and drove it home. it has 330,000 miles on it and the injectors could use replacing. but if i run the block heater for half hour or so it will start in any weather. i can get 18 mpg if i drive conservative. pedal to the metal 75 down the interstate i still get 12-13mpg. other than replacing the vacuum pump when i bought it i have not had to do anything outside oil changes and i am due for a pair of tires. one of these days when i have an extra $1500 i will buy a set of injectors and spend the weekend installing them, but other than a stumble on occasion i dont notice it.

best $1K rig i ever bought, love the 7.3 powerstroke

Wow! Where did you find that deal! That is a big thing I have just been thinking about is starting the older diesels in really cold weather. I plan on skiing a lot in the winter and am worried about not having power to easily plug into. Not sure if house batteries would last too long heating the block for 30 min.

The reason diesels won't start in cold weather is loss of compression.
Even with 3 bad injectors, a tight V8 diesel will fire right up in 15 degree weather.
If you need to plug it in, it means the motor is whipped.
Sometimes...it will run a long time like that. Oil burning has usually accelerated by this time.

There are diesel-fed heaters also.
They use a tiny bit of electrical power, designed to be fed by the starting batteries.
No plug in required.