New, and looking for some "which vehicle" help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenreaver

Reaction score
Hi! 
I've been curious for awhile now, but am now pretty serious. Health issues are making me change my lifestyle. I have enough experience with motorcycle camping to know I'll enjoy this. Right now, I'm looking at something to just get me through the next 6 months, then I'll be visiting family, and will have enough experience to know what I need.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch.. hoping to be on the road within 2 weeks, so I'm asking for some help. I am very open to vehicle suggestions. In order, i'm thinking about a short bus, box truck, or maybe a step van or sprinter style. 

Some info about me. 

I already have enough camping equipment/experience to outfit all necessities.

I strongly prefer back roads, and rural towns, vs highways and big cities.

I have experience with Diesel and gas, and don't really have a preference. If I am forced to pick, id say gas. Whichever vehicle fits me best, I'm fine with any reliable engine though.

Requirements:

I'm on disability income, so I need something reliable, and cost efficient to maintain/operate.

No exact Max budget, but I'm hoping to get a reliable, rust free vehicle under $5000. I'm willing to travel to get it.

Total Length, Max of 25ft. My best guess is 14-16 ft of livable length. Willing to go as low as 10-12 if there are good enough reasons

Min interior height of 6'5. Health issues, I need to be able to stand up straight. 

Access to living space from cockpit. Can bend down, or crawl through, it's an in case of emergency type of thing

Easy for me, and an older English Mastiff (very large dog) to enter. Don't need wheelchair access, but easy step in height.

Comfortable to drive. Being tall with health issues, comfort means everything to me. I've been known to drive 12+hrs a day.

Things that don't really matter to me;
Gas/diesel,
Don't care if it's furnished or blank. Since I'm on a bit of a deadline, blank would be easier, but I'm flexible,
Windows,
Stealth,

Any other info needed, just ask!

Welcome Zenreaver to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

other than the height requirement I would suggest an older t1n sprinter. they meet all your other needs.

but with a less than 6'5" interior clearance they may be a moot point.

It sounds like a small class C RV on a van chassis would fit all your needs, with plenty of room for you, and your dog.

The added bonus is that it is already built, and needs no construction.

Thanks for the help. Bad health for a couple days, but I'm back to researching today. Sent a couple messages asking for more info on a couple local vehicles