Switching from air mattress to memory foam question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
What is an adequate non traditional mattress base for a full size 3"-4" memory foam topper. I want to be able to roll up the topper, set aside and lean the bed frame against the CT wall for more room during the day so was wondering if there is a thin type of mattress or maybe somewhat stiff foam pad that could stay with the frame and have adequate support for the topper. My back is done with air mattresses and misses the years I slept on mem. foam.

I have all memory foam but I like soft. It is common to use a firm foam under the Memory foam , in fact some memory foam toppers even come that way.

Most memory foam mattresses are actually a layer of latex foam covered by a couple of inches of memory foam. They work quite well together and are all you need.

Thanks. I'll probably get the combo plus maybe another layer of M F.

dogear52 said:
I want to be able to roll up the topper, set aside and lean the bed frame against the CT wall for more room during the day

Set it aside where? Unless you're very strong and coordinated and can squeeze out a lot of air, a rolled up MF or regular foam mattress will probably end up taking up MORE room, and in an awkward shape. Moving something doesn't make it smaller. It still takes up the same amount of space, just in a different way—unless you put it outside. It's much easier to put yourself outside.

I have a standard foam mattress with a MF topper. They're both inside a zip-up "bed wetter" case (so the mattress acts less like a sponge), with an all-cotton mattress pad over that (so there's a breathable layer between the mattress and me) and a fitted sheet over the whole thing. I can tilt it all, or take it completely out of the van, without things falling apart. But my bed is also my chair. If I tilted it up, I'd need something else to sit on, and that would take up room of its own and would need to go somewhere when the bed is down. And I'd be spending a lot of time/energy moving stuff around.

I also have bins, boxes and jugs under the bed. If I were to tilt the bed, those containers would still be there, more or less in the way. If I didn't store them under the bed, that stuff would have to take up space somewhere else. So, where will you be keeping your non-bed stuff?