Mattresses: latex, gel memory foam or standard?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncagingmyspirit

Reaction score
Information overload. Latex, memory foam or standard?

Found a company that makes custom size mattresses. But spoke to 2 different representative who gave me conflicting suggestions. Hoping for opinions on what you sleep on / your experience.

My statistics: bad back and hip and a little bit heavier. I'll never go in an area below 35°. I prefer medium firm.

1) Latex: I've read it's long lasting, good for any claimant, less chances of mildew & some say good for backs. On the other hand, I'm told that the all mattresses are firm and not always good for bad backs

2) Memory Foam: I was told memory foam would freeze and destroy the mattress below temperatures of 50. I've slept on a couple in motel / hotel and they always felt good. I've read that they are good for backs and hips, but you need to get them thicker if you're heavier.

3) Standard: It's been suggested I get a standard mattress and just use a really good topper. This way you spend a lot less for the mattress. If one or the other goes, it's less money to replace it. But I'm worried that it won't be comfortable Because it only comes in a 5.5 inches height. With my current topper, it's 4 in. And it was something I got because I couldn't go mattress shopping at the time - decently comfortable but very narrow.

[emoji1696]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

A mattress is such a personal thing, but I love my Memory Foam 2" Topper. I have a double sized one over a couple thermarest camping mats and it's more comfortable than the futon I had before.

I am full-time in Canada, but never below freezing as I heat my van all the time, so I don't know about how it is in really low temps. It is fine though at 7-8 deg. Celsius.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Get whatever is most like what you're sleeping on now, assuming it works for you. The mobile life is enough of a disruption to "normal" life. You don't need to throw adjusting to a new bed into the mix too.

Like vanpocalyptic said, the perfect mattress is a personal thing. I have an 8" thick regular foam mattress I got from Mattress Firm (I don't think they have it this particular model anymore) with a 4" memory foam topper. The folks who claim we should all be sleeping on firm beds, if not stone slabs, would be outraged, but it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had in my life. I sleep like the old dog that I am.

Buying a mattress without being able to sleep on it is kind of a leap of faith. I have had to buy several mattresses to find the right one for me.

I like a mattress that is moderately firm, but soft enough that the pressure points of shoulders and hips are cushioned and sink into the mattress an inch or two. That way my entire side or back supports my body, and my back stays relatively straight (when sleeping on my side).

With a firm mattress, I felt pressure at the hip and shoulder, and my mid torso would arch down just a bit.

Looking at the ratings on the manufacturer's page, the mattress that works for me has 1.8 lb density, and 35 lb firmness. I don't know what those numbers mean, but that is the data for a mattress that worked for me. HD36 Regular in a 6" height here: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html

I tried another foam mattress, the LUX Regular, and it is rated at 1.8 lb density and 50 lb firmness. That was a little too hard for me, so it looks like the firmness rating is what determines comfort, in my case anyway. With that mattress, my shoulder and hip felt the pressure and my back was not straight, it was arched down a bit.

I have tried a memory foam mattress of unknown rating, and felt like I was going to sink into it. It was difficult to move or turn because the foam reacted in a way that kept me floating. It was also very warm because I felt like I was sinking in about halfway into the mattress. I did not care for the memory foam mattress but it may have been too soft, and a more firm memory foam mattress might have worked for me.

I have heard that latex mattresses are good, but don't know anything about them. They look too expensive for me, especially when I know a foam mattress works well for me.

Good luck in selecting a mattress!

vanpocalyptic said:
A mattress is such a personal thing, but I love my Memory Foam 2" Topper. I have a double sized one over a couple thermarest camping mats and it's more comfortable than the futon I had before.

I am full-time in Canada, but never below freezing as I heat my van all the time, so I don't know about how it is in really low temps. It is fine though at 7-8 deg. Celsius.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Thank you for commenting. I like the ideas of having the thermarest camping mat underneath. I was already thinking about something like that. I'm probably going to go for the memory foam.

MrNoodly said:
Get whatever is most like what you're sleeping on now, assuming it works for you. The mobile life is enough of a disruption to "normal" life. You don't need to throw adjusting to a new bed into the mix too.

Like vanpocalyptic said, the perfect mattress is a personal thing. I have an 8" thick regular foam mattress I got from Mattress Firm (I don't think they have it this particular model anymore) with a 4" memory foam topper. The folks who claim we should all be sleeping on firm beds, if not stone slabs, would be outraged, but it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had in my life. I sleep like the old dog that I am.
I'm actually returning the mattress that I'm currently sleeping on because it's too firm... And the delivered mattress is slightly longer then one in the showroom. Which makes it 2 in too long for my camper van. Mattress Firm is where I got my current one; but unfortunately I chose the wrong store - bad experience. A different one really tried to find me their RV memory foam / foam bed. But they are completely out of stock with no ETA. Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate it.

skyl4rk said:
Buying a mattress without being able to sleep on it is kind of a leap of faith. I have had to buy several mattresses to find the right one for me.

I like a mattress that is moderately firm, but soft enough that the pressure points of shoulders and hips are cushioned and sink into the mattress an inch or two. That way my entire side or back supports my body, and my back stays relatively straight (when sleeping on my side).

With a firm mattress, I felt pressure at the hip and shoulder, and my mid torso would arch down just a bit.

Looking at the ratings on the manufacturer's page, the mattress that works for me has 1.8 lb density, and 35 lb firmness. I don't know what those numbers mean, but that is the data for a mattress that worked for me. HD36 Regular in a 6" height here: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html

I tried another foam mattress, the LUX Regular, and it is rated at 1.8 lb density and 50 lb firmness. That was a little too hard for me, so it looks like the firmness rating is what determines comfort, in my case anyway. With that mattress, my shoulder and hip felt the pressure and my back was not straight, it was arched down a bit.

I have tried a memory foam mattress of unknown rating, and felt like I was going to sink into it. It was difficult to move or turn because the foam reacted in a way that kept me floating. It was also very warm because I felt like I was sinking in about halfway into the mattress. I did not care for the memory foam mattress but it may have been too soft, and a more firm memory foam mattress might have worked for me.

I have heard that latex mattresses are good, but don't know anything about them. They look too expensive for me, especially when I know a foam mattress works well for me.

Good luck in selecting a mattress!
Thank you for commenting. The firmness density rating makes a lot of sense. I might try to do later today or tomorrow, is go to a mattress store and see If I can figure out what my personal rating might be. From the comments, I've ruled out latex mattresses and now between a regular mattress with a good topper or a memory foam mattress, if they have the density / firmness I want.

tip,

every RV foam mattress I have ever slept on I found lacking. I wouldn't want to sleep on one full time. they are just not firm enough I tend to sink right through them overnight. they are very light weight.

did you try Military Supply House like several of us recommended?

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
tip,

every RV foam mattress I have ever slept on I found lacking. I wouldn't want to sleep on one full time. they are just not firm enough I tend to sink right through them overnight. they are very light weight.

highdesertranger
Military - They said they're not currently doing custom sizes. [emoji2368]. Memory foam. Ugh. [emoji848] That's the problem. I've never slept on a memory foam. My last mattress, which is my favorite, was a spring-free mattress; but I honestly don't know what the material itself was.... Got it from in a estate sale. I'm almost positive it wasn't memory foam. So maybe I should get a standard spring-free mattress with a really good topper.

highdesertranger said:
tip,

highdesertranger
I'm going to call them again in case someone just gave me a wrong answer.

Just wanted to give an update about military supply house. The reason they're not doing custom sizes right now is because they moved locations and they don't currently have the press that makes those sizes. He said that it would be approximately a month before they would be able to do it