sway bar for towing a trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we need more info. are you referring to a vehicle sway bar or a sway control system for a weight distributing hitch? if you are talking the hitch go to the thread Got Smart posted and read up then come back and we will iron out the details. highdesertranger

now have a 6x 12 cargo trailer that I am going to start developing into an camper going to keep it very basic place to sleep and a place to cook when weather is bad . I want to make sure it is safe to tow to have stuff done 150 miles so the trailer is bare
but I want to tow safely

What are you going to tow it with?

Normally a 6x12 trailer wont need anything...besides proper weight distribution in the trailer.

They don't have a long rear overhang, so unless you are towing it with a very small vehicle, it should be very stable on the road.

Should tow fine behind a full sized van....What hitch is on the van?..I would also be looking at trailer brakes.

poncho62 said:
Should tow fine behind a full sized van....What hitch is on the van?..I would also be looking at trailer brakes.

trailer is a single axel no breaks on single axel cargo trailers the van has a reese hitch on it

I know here that if a trailer weighs more than 2000 lbs, trailer brakes are mandatory. By the time you put your stuff in that 6x12, I bet it weighs more than that. An E150 just has the standard sized brakes.........Like I said, I would be looking at trailer brakes.....just sayin'
Dean and Buster said:
trailer is a single axel no breaks on single axel cargo trailers the van has a reese hitch on it

poncho62 said:
I know here that if a trailer weighs more than 2000 lbs, trailer brakes are mandatory. By the time you put your stuff in that 6x12, I bet it weighs more than that. An E150 just has the standard sized brakes.........Like I said, I would be looking at trailer brakes.....just sayin'

the van is a heavy duty van

Dean and Buster said:

Irregardless, you need to understand that it is possible to get single axle trailers with brakes, it is possible to add brakes to a single axle trailer, and we are talking about a patchwork of fifty different state laws regulating exactly when a trailer MUST have it's own brakes to be legal on their roads.

Plus, you didn't say anything about where you are and where you plan to go. 

A van with heavy duty brakes pulling a trailer with no brakes may be adequate on the great plains, and dangerously inadequate descending the Rocky Mountains.

Plus, worst case nightmare:

You're driving sedately through a town when a kid chases a ball into the road.  You lock up your brakes but you hit him anyway.  You really want to deal with:  "Jesus, if I had had trailer brakes, I could have stopped sooner.  That kid might still be alive." for the rest of your life?

Dean and Buster said:

The E150 is not a heavy duty van, not by todays standards.

What engine, transmission, and rear end ratio does it have, and does it have an auxiliary transmission cooler?

If it is a standard length van and you load the van and the trailer properly, you should not need a sway bar or WD hitch.

You might need a suspension 'tune-up' if you have lots of miles on the van and things are kinda 'mushy'.

In order to add trailer brakes, you will most likely need to have either the entire axle swapped, or brake flange welded on to the axle. Then add electric brake hubs. Plus a brake controller and wiring.

So keep the build light weight, and limit cargo load, and you should be OK without trailer brakes. Use engine braking whenever possible, using a lower gear and lower speeds for descending long grades.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

You're driving sedately through a town when a kid chases a ball into the road.  You lock up your brakes but you hit him anyway.  You really want to deal with:  "Jesus, if I had had trailer brakes, I could have stopped sooner.  That kid might still be alive." for the rest of your life?

One thing to keep in mind on a single axle trailer with brakes: If they are set to be too aggressive, or the road surface is slick, the driver can end up locking the trailer wheels and skidding the trailer sideways in a panic stop, without the stability of a second axle keeping it in the lane, things can end up nasty in a hurry.

I pull 2 different single axle trailers (no trailer brakes) with my van and I'm careful, and experienced. I've had no problems. Small single axle trailers are pulled all the time all over this country with few issues, as long as the driver is careful.

Of course, the next guy out the gate might have severe problems, so as always, YMMV.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Irregardless, you need to understand that it is possible to get single axle trailers with brakes, it is possible to add brakes to a single axle trailer, and we are talking about a patchwork of fifty different state laws regulating exactly when a trailer MUST have it's own brakes to be legal on their roads.

Plus, you didn't say anything about where you are and where you plan to go. 

A van with heavy duty brakes pulling a trailer with no brakes may be adequate on the great plains, and dangerously inadequate descending the Rocky Mountains.

we are in Missouri and will be heading west

I always recommend trailer brakes. there is no such thing as having, "to much braking". most but not all axles have the flanges for brakes already installed. an E-150 is not a heavy duty van it's a 1/2 ton. also since it has an aftermarket hitch that means it didn't come with a tow package. so no heavy duty suspension, no auxiliary trans cooler, no heavy duty brakes, and it's not wired for brakes(no controller). what is the tow rating of the van? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I always recommend trailer brakes.  there is no such thing as having,  "to much braking".  most but not all axles have the flanges for brakes already installed.  an E-150 is not a heavy duty van it's a 1/2 ton.  also since it has an aftermarket hitch that means it didn't come with a tow package.  so no heavy duty suspension,  no auxiliary trans cooler,  no heavy duty brakes,  and it's not wired for brakes(no controller).  what is the tow rating of the van?  highdesertranger

the trailer weighs in at 1200 pounds the van has external transmission coolers

Dean and Buster said:
11,500 pounds towing trailer 1200 pounds had to go look at the body tag for towing caspacity

Are you SURE of that number?

That's really high for a half-ton.

Again, please tell us which engine, transmission, and rear end you have, if you know...