Swapping hi tops?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a complete conversion van, most likely a Ford. Something cheap that doesn't run and salvaging parts from it. I want to cut off the high top and put it on my dodge ram van 1500. 

How hard of a job would this be. I'm not worried about wiring anything up, mainly looking for head room and storage compartments

Quick answer, 2 man job with 2x4's and the old roof cut off. Read about it either here or got the link here(forum) on a how to and how easy it was. But I also read that caulking was easy...hint...its not! Lol.

EDIT: read that wrong, you want to cut off old high top, not install high top on older van. My bad. Not sure if my post is pertinent to your circumstances.

a Ford high top will not easily fit a Dodge. not saying it can't be done but it ain't easy or pretty. I happen to know where there are 2 Dodge high tops for sale. tops only. I was going to post a thread but I was waiting for pics. highdesertranger

I recently took a high top off a '73 Dodge B200 and put it on my other '73 B200. It's not that hard but you will definitely want two people. I also recommend a good sawzall. Once you have the donor roof loose, use some boards to slide it over onto the other van and then figure out what you'll need to do to secure it. Mine is still just sitting in place; I have some welding to do.

VagabondsPhoto said:
Thinking about buying a complete conversion van, most likely a Ford. Something cheap that doesn't run and salvaging parts from it. I want to cut off the high top and put it on my dodge ram van 1500. 

How hard of a job would this be. I'm not worried about wiring anything up, mainly looking for head room and storage compartments

It's not all that hard as long as the top will fit the receiving van and you can park the two vehicles side by side. At least 2 strong people and some 2x4's. 4 people for the moving part is even easier. Disconnect it from the donor van, lift the top, slide the 2x4s under, shimmy it across, clean the edge of the high top, reapply new butyl tape, drop it in it's place and attach.

As some one else pointed out, a Ford conversion top may or may not fit on the Dodge.

The other thing that should be pointed out is that a 'conversion van' hi top is rarely a real high top - it's usually just what is called a 'tv top' - high enough to offer additional head room for passengers seated in the captains chairs in the rear of the van and to allow the install of the entertainment center just back of the driving compartment. I can't stand up in a conversion van and I'm only 5' tall.

To get true standing height and good storage you'll need to go to a 24" high top.