SUV living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsDicey

Reaction score
Good Afternoon.  

I am currently living in my 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer.  Currently I am parked in a ladies driveway with permission.  I hope to get a job in Oregon so this won't be an option for long (I am in Georgia now).  I am reading and searching the forums for some answers/advice on a few issues that keep popping up when I am trying to plan.  First, I have a solar panel on top.  Would it hurt the panel to paint the aluminum frame with black Plasti Dip paint? Second, I am trying to figure out if it would be best to leave the window covering up when ever I am driving or parked but away from the vehicle.  Or should I raise the seats back up and toss everything in the cargo area and cover? While I would love a van, it's  just not in the cards right now.   

The window coverings are reflectix with black fabric facing the outside and nearly impossible to see from the outside.  The windows are tinted pretty dark as well. 

Thank you so much for all your help and I will keep reading the forum. Such awesome information. 

Thanks Dicey

Welcome to the CRVL forums ItsDicey! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Others will be along shortly to help answer your questions!

ItsDicey said:
Would it hurt the panel to paint the aluminum frame with black Plasti Dip paint? Second, I am trying to figure out if it would be best to leave the window covering up when ever I am driving or parked but away from the vehicle.  Or should I raise the seats back up and toss everything in the cargo area and cover?

Welcome Dicey! Many people have painted their aluminum frames. The second question is more of a preference; okay either way.

:)  Hello and Welcome.  Personally I like either to have empty seats where someone looking in can see that nothing is there to smash and grab or have my windows covered where nothing in the back area can be seen.  I have a 1998 Safari with the 2 front seats and the rear seat/bed in a upright position.  Mine is a conversion van with black foam board from $Tree currently in the rear side windows.  They are held in place with the stock accordian shades that are original.  I raise the sliding side door's shade in the daytime when driving.  If I have a lot of stuff in it I try to keep a old sheet to just flip across everything.  If I'm away from the van any length of time I also pull down the side doors shade.  Across the rear doors there is a clothes rod that I folded a older curtain over.  In the front I use a matching curtain draped sideways across the seats backs...this compleatly covers the cargo area from all sides.  I've only had the van about 7mos.  I have reflectix for the windows and intend to make or use black out curtains for when I travel and sleep in it.  I don't mind sleeping in a vehicle I just like my privacy.

I'm living in an apt. now and miss having a house big enought to spread out my projects and not have to put everything up constantly.  For me downsizing is a daily struggle and I hate moving one thing so I can get to another then shift things back where they came from.

Really I think whether or not you put things away in the cargo area daily is up to you and what you are comfortable with.  To me I think if someone wants in a vehicle they are getting in one way or another.  I'd try to keep anything someone might think is valuable hidden from sight.  Are you planning on removing any seats or building anything inside your Trailblazer?  

I had a full size Bronco and the first thing that came out was the back seat.  When I returned to TX from SD I put it back in facing backwards as that gave me a larger area to pack stuff in.

I hope your employment situation works out for you.

Jewellann