Survived my first week at Amazon!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
I've managed to survive my first week picking at an Amazon fulfillment center.  I had doubts during those 4 long nights but managed to make it.  Got to go back tomorrow night and dreading it, but just keep telling myself money, money, money.

I will say that this is not exactly the hardest thing I've done, but at my age now, it is the most physically grueling thing I've done.  I've discovered I have bunions of all things! And walking has been agony for me.  Over 10 miles each night.  This second night off my feet are still aching and now that the pain in them has died down to a dull roar, I'm feeling the pain from my shoulder and knees and back!  Arghhh!

I've adapted new strategies to deal with the bunions though, so hopefully they will cooperate and let me finish this gig.  Anyway, just wanted to let anyone who is thinking of doing Amazon next year.... be in shape before you go if you want to save yourself some pain.  And of course, I wouldn't mind some encouragement  :p or some reason why I wouldn't be a weenie to quit  :s .

In case you are wondering, instead of starting in October, we went to orientation Nov 6 and started the 11th, so there is really no break in period.  We start peak in a week and are expected to be up to speed by then.  I only hope to survive till then.  Don't care how fast I am.

“walking has been agony for me. Over 10 miles each night.”
You walk 10 miles each night outside ?
I guess I’m privileged to have a car & van & drive to work every day
& I still complain about my 20 min commute in the morn & 40 min in the evening.

Amazon fulfillment center :
I wouldn’t mind doing this when I hit the road
Thanks for the update !

encouragement:
Just think about how much stronger / toned you'll be when the gig is over, and bonus you're getting paid to work out. ;-)
I've been sitting in a chair 9 hours a day for 12 years, hoping I'm able to walk 10 miles when I get out of here.

My 26YO step son works at Amazon. He's GAINED weight... But, he quit smoking and much of the weight is probably muscle...

When those nights of walking get you in shape, you'll leave everyone in the dust on those strolls afterwards.  Won't be anyone waiting for you to catch up  :p

And you will feel so much better afterwards.  No pain, no gain.

Enough encouragement?

you go girl. once the pain stops then you can laugh at all of us, who won't be able to keep up. highdesertranger

You'll be in super shape at the end of this and desert hikes will be a piece of cake when you get to RtR :)
And then there’s the Money Money to enjoy more Travel Travel ;)

Good luck, you'll definitely be in shape soon :) I'm sure you have a really good pair of shoes, Rockports are awesome for walking or standing on concrete all day. Much, much better than tennis shoes.

I had similar foot problems when I worked at Lowe's. Here is what saved me:

Every decent sized city has at least one show store devoted to comfort footwear. Usually it is for old people. (I guess at 55, I ma now officially old.) Almost all of them have some brand of foot pressure measurement system to sell customized insoles. Get the insoles/orthotics they recommend. The more padding, the better

Now, find shoes to go with those insoles. They should fit such that they do not slide around on your foot but do not feel tight or snug in any way on any point on your foot. The more padding the better.

Only wear those shoes for working in. Change to something even more loose when not working.

Get one of those little files for filing off calluses. Keep the clauses down to a minimum. I found that most of my blisters formed under the calluses. However, be best careful to not take off too much. If you take off too much, it can look and feel fine ... until you work again. You will learn just how much to leave. I have found it easiest to judge when the calluses are good and dry, rather than when wet from a shower or from sweating at work.

Learn how to walk with as little impact as possible. Walk as if you are barefoot on gravel, even though you have lots of padding. This will reduce the stress on your feet and joints even further.

Good luck.

Great advice from Grant. I also have foot issues. I'd add get thick, well-fitting hiking socks. Hand wash every day. Don't forget to take the inserts out when you aren't wearing the shoes. That way the shoes dry out better.

I find that it is easier on the feet if I do not wear the same pair of shoes/boots 2 days in a row.

BC Guy said:
I find that it is easier on the feet if I do not wear the same pair of shoes/boots 2 days in a row.
Good point. I was only able to afford one set that fit my needs for working in. But I tried to wear different shoes (or the same shoes with their regular insoles) when not working.

Hi, Cindi,
If the better money is working well for you, you may want to consider that Amazon has lots of other types of jobs at various locations. I'm not sure you get a lot of choice but I think a good record with them from season to season may help.

Have you read Becky's many posts about being a Workamper for Amazon in a few different locations over the years? Her blog is Interstellar Orchard. This year she is in Receiving (where products are brought to the workers' station vs picking).

Hope you are finding ways to ease the pains and get good rest. All the best. Sassy

Silver said:
“walking has been agony for me.  Over 10 miles each night.”
You walk 10 miles each night outside ?
I guess I’m privileged to have a car & van & drive to work every day
& I still complain about my 20 min commute in the morn &  40 min in the evening.

Amazon fulfillment center :
I wouldn’t mind doing this when I hit the road
Thanks for the update !

I believe Silver she is saying that she is walking the equivalent of 10 miles each night at work on the job. 
I'm guessing they are walking around a lot moving packages from one location to another. 

Actually that would be good exercise, I should walk half that everyday just because it's good for ya!

Hang in there, it gets easier! When I started at HD it was only part time but I still felt whupped, even though I only walk about 5 miles a shift. As I got acclimated it got easier.

One thing you can do for your sore muscles is Epsom salts. They are made of Magnesium Sulfate and the Magnesium absorbs directly through your skin, and goes on to help your body repair the muscles and connective tissues. I take oral MagCitrate for my Fibro, but when that's not enough and you can't soak the sore spots you can rub on 'magnesium oil' in the affected areas and it will absorb.

To make the Mag oil, take a small bottle and fill it 3/4 full of Epsom salts. Fill to the top with water, cap and shake intermittently for about 10 minutes or till the crystals are dissolved. Rub on the sore spots sparingly. If you have broken or sensitive skin it will sting, so make your 'oil' less saturated. It will feel tight after it dries. You can place a warm wet rag over the spot to help things along.

Be warned that even if you are using it topically, once you get more than your body needs right then it will have a mildly laxative action. That is your cue to back off on the dosing! This can be repeated daily as your kidneys continually flush magnesium from your blood, whether or not your cells still need some (this is the basic reason for my Fibro, which is completely gone as long as I take my magnesium citrate daily.)

Gold Bond Foot Powder, and change your socks mid shift.  

I worked maintenance at a large hotel property, and that was the only way I could keep from getting blisters. 

I was in great shape after a couple weeks of the constant walking!

Thanks for all the support! I did get a new pair of shoes(and I use the term generically) that had mesh uppers and very little sole. (I know, counter-intuitive, but it works) Super comfortable and much less rubbing on my bunions. I added moleskin around the worst area on my left foot. And soaked with Epson salt, used a lidocaine topical ointment. All those things, plus the 2 days off my feet seemed to have helped tremendously as last night was so much better. 9.4 miles but on a scale of 1-10 I was at a 3-4 for my pain whereas Sat night I was at a 10.5! So I'll take that. My son did suggest that I move to packing as I'd stay in more or less one place then and I figured if I was still in great pain on Wed I'd ask about it. Now I don't think I'll need to ask but we'll see how it goes tonite. Again thanks for all the support. It helps.