Sunroof in a truck cap?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
Anyone here ever have a window or sunroof put in a truck cap roof to make it seem less claustrophobic back there? Camped out over the weekend and definitely felt closed-in. It has side and back windows, but still... Also saw why folks put a Fantastic Fan or the like in vehicles :) Still rather warm here (Georgia) at night.

If not that, need to find a light truck camper or trailer

Adding sunroof is a possibility but take heed from previous experiences with them by friends over the last 40 years. DO NOT install a sunroof over your bed area. Haven't seen one that hasn't leaked sooner or later or been left open while you're away from the vehicle and a sudden shower happens, once from a lawn sprinkler.... :D 

Same goes for a roof vent but at least them you can put a cover over so that it can be open in any kind of weather.

I agree with Almost There. sooner or later all sunroofs leak. with roof vents they are all the same size so replacing them is easy. if you fell claustrophobic go outside. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I agree  with Almost There.  sooner or later all sunroofs leak.  with roof vents they are all the same size so replacing them is easy.  if you fell  claustrophobic go outside.  highdesertranger

Well, I'm trying to sleep in the back so going outside every few minutes wouldn't work too well. Maybe if I took out the passenger seat/center unit out of the cab I could fit in there. The roof wouldn't be as close. Tried to find a higher-top camper shell but couldn't find one for a '99 long-bed F150.

CatCaretaker said:
Well, I'm trying to sleep in the back so going outside every few minutes wouldn't work too well. Maybe if I took out the passenger seat/center unit out of the cab I could fit in there. The roof wouldn't be as close. Tried to find a higher-top camper shell but couldn't find one for a '99 long-bed F150.
I've also looked at rooftop tents and the EZ Lift Topper but don't have an extra $2,000 to spend. Anyone DIY anything like this?!

are you sleeping during the day? at night I don't see a sun roof helping that much. just sleep outside. highdesertranger

I have side opening awning windows on my cap and love them. The simplest solution might well be to buy or trade a new canopy.

highdesertranger said:
are you sleeping during the day?  at night I don't see a sun roof helping that much.  just sleep outside.  highdesertranger
Seeing the stars, the sky, would help me feel not so closed in. Also, am female, kinda need the security of being inside the vehicle esp since I'm in a city :)

CatCaretaker said:
I've also looked at rooftop tents and the EZ Lift Topper but don't have an extra $2,000 to spend. Anyone DIY anything like this?!
I'm in the process of setting up my Ranger for a 3-week road trip. I've gotten a taller cap, but it still seems that it won't be tall enough to sit comfortably in there, so I'm going to DIY some "bed-side extensions" for it to sit on. I'm planning to raise it up about 6 inches. Could you do something like that?

Yes, yes you can. I personally would just build the whole thing out of 2" insulation foam but I found damaged interior doors at the big box stores so cheap I couldn't resist. Made everything easy to keep square and at 80" long and widths in 2" increments very little cutting. Dowel and glue them together then cover it all with TiteBond III glue and Harbor Freight drop cloths. after it is completely dry paint it with water based acrylic house paint. I used the stake hole inserts that you attach tie downs to with big washers and set my side wall against them and after sealing the wall to the bed just through bolted them, but you could mount an L bracket and clamp them if you wanted to. My whole topper with a used cut down camper door was less than $500.

Just remember that sunroofs can gain heat pretty quickly and of course also loose heat.

You could fabricate a riser out of wood oe aluminum angle. Ctreate a ladder like structure. Skinnjing it with plywood will make it strong. The ladder area gives you the opportunuty to add insulation.When you apply the plywood skin it should be fone with a continous glue bond musing a water resistant woood glue. That will turn it into a SIP meaning a strructural i nsulated panel which will be both light in weight and strong. You could possibly secure it in place using All Thread to pull the truck cap down going on through through your rnrw iser and bolt on through to the truck side rails. Of course be sure to use truck cap mounting foam at the upper and lower edges of your extension panels.

It is a doable project for sure where you can do a lot of fast and accuratev cutting if you have access to a power miter saw.

bullfrog said:
Yes, yes you can. I personally would just build the whole thing out of 2" insulation foam but I found damaged interior doors at the big box stores so cheap I couldn't resist. Made everything easy to keep square and at 80" long and widths in 2" increments very little cutting. Dowel and glue them together then cover it all with TiteBond III glue and Harbor Freight drop cloths. after it is completely dry paint it with water based acrylic house paint. I used the stake hole inserts that you attach tie downs to with big washers and set my side wall against them and after sealing the wall to the bed just through bolted them, but you could mount an L bracket and clamp them if you wanted to. My whole topper with a used cut down camper door was less than $500.
Do you have pictures of your topper [posted somewhere? I'd like to see it.

Nope, it is so ugly and I am definitely worlds worse with technology, there are lots of examples on tttnt.com in the foamies forums. My trailer is currently in Utah and my topper is in southern Arizona. PM me if you are in the area and I'll be glad to give you a tour! I may venture out if the virus settles down, maybe even do the RTR next year if there is one. A few members here have done some really nice neat projects, a few years ago one rebuilt a Class C chassis with his own foam box and living quarters!

Haven't seen one though I think a sunroof with fan is a nice idea also.