Sun protection w/ out sunscreen

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
Currently being a sticks & bricks guy and living in the NorthEast with what we call the "green tunnel" on hiking trails with tons of trees shielding us from the sun as we hike, I'm wondering what folks do to protect their skin w/out buying copious amounts of sunscreen?

I wear a wide brimmed hat for my bald head, so good to go there, but short sleeves while good for the heat, I'm not a fan of turning my forearms into leather. :p  Does anyone have any tips for long sleeved clothes that truly breaths well?  Cheap is good as well!  Thanks.

When snorkling for extended periods of time in the Keys and Caribbean, we often used light colored thin cotton pajamas from the thrift store.

use sunscreen

most light fabrics let the UV right through

UV proof clothing is expensive, and wears out

Sam's club sometimes carries light weight UV resistant long sleve well ventilated fishing shirts that are fairly cheap.

I cruise Sierra Trading Post for Ex Officio shirts. They are very high SPF and often bug resistant too (and after contacting West Nile Virus in Northern Colorado last summer, I see the utility in that). They do cost $$, but they last for years and years. They are also light weight and breathable. Sierra carries irregulars so they're much less expensive than retail.

The Dire Wolfess

I like Columbia's Bahama and Tamiami fishing shirts. Both have vents in the back and provide good UV protection. They are pricey, but last a long time. You can sometimes find them super cheap on Amazon, depending on color and size. Being female, I don't mind if they are oversized because I throw them on over a tee to keep from burning to a crisp. I just scored two for under $30 total.

Try and Google "motorcycle base layers". There's pants and shirts that you can wear under your clothes in heat and cold. I use the shirts for UV protection.

Hanes Men's Long Sleeve Cool Dri T-Shirt UPF 50+ ....use that string for a keyword search.... you can get a 2 pack of these shirts for around $20.00 on Amazon. I would imagine that $10.00 per shirt would be considered "cheap" for brand new sun protective clothing.

Hanes Men's Long Sleeve Cool Dri T-Shirt UPF 50+