Suggestions for first van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twisted Z

Reaction score
Hello again all, back with yet another question. Getting ready to jump into the pool as it were and wondering if there are vans/vehicles that I should avoid. I figure with the experience of so many nomads I might get a good idea for a starter. 
   Looking more toward a older vehicle ($ crunch) and as good as I can on gas miliage of course. Don't need anything large as I'm only 5' 8", already have a mattress I can cut to size if needed though not much past that. Still getting ready.  :) I've driven just about every car on the road today and a few big trucks as well so I'm fairly rounded in that department. 

As before many thanks ahead of time, all feedback is welcome!

Z

Most likely boondocking I think. The intent is to try and do the BLM for two weeks at a stretch but still gathering information. I'm not comfortable with in city camping to be honest.

Low ceiling diesel step van. Good on fuel, easy to build, and no rust. Pickup extra earplugs.

If you want to avoid crowds then a full size older 4x4 Chevy truck with a topper or a Suburban and a fat tire electric bicycle like a step thru RadMini for exploring and side trips. If you get a 3/4 ton it will be easy later on to tow a built out utility trailer should you want company or more space. If you travel two hundred miles a month that is only about 20 gallons of fuel at most although maybe if not enough solar some expense for a small generator. You will be hard pressed to find an older cheaper used vehicle that is cheaper to buy and maintain that is as capable in my opinion.

What do you consider old?

Bullfrog gave good advice in fact any truck older than 1990 Chevy would be my only choice. By far the cheapest of all to maintain.

Highdesertranger

I’m in a 98 dodge conversion van getting 14 miles to the gallon but if I get on the interstate and be careful I can get it up to 16. I have thought about the best gas mileage nomad rig for many years. If I had to resources it would be a new Nissan four-cylinder truck with a teardrop camper behind it. Gas prices are out of this world. When I left for Florida last November I paid $1.60 a gallon when I got south of the Mason Dixon. When I came home in April I found it $3.15 a gallon. If it keeps going up I don’t know what I’ll do. I wanted to be in Maine to avoid the heat this summer don’t think that’s gonna happen.

Everyone here is going to have their pet solutions which they have experience with.  Bullfrog ask some questions to help you better qualify the rig that would be best suited for your aims and finances.

A short wheel base Utility Van which only has windows in the front and rear doors can be a find if you can
get one with lower mileage and affordably.  Great starting point.  You could get a trailer hitch installed, wiring for lights on a small utility trailer set up and be good for boondocking.

A lot of this is going to depend on where you boondock on BLM lands.  Will it be flat land and sparsely populated ?  Like 25 to 50 miles to go fetch supplies ? (and back) If you only have a Van and have to leave your spot, you may forfeit your spot when you leave to get supplies.

Some would go for a Pickup with a slide in camper.  The ones you would want for the slide in have four extendable "Legs" on the side so you can jack it up and leave it on your space when you go to get supplies.  The Utility trailer could do likewise in marking that the place is taken for others looking for a place.

My own story is in the upper link below in Van Conversion.  It describes how I got started years ago.  I was hunting for work in my own field.  I wound up towing a small economy station wagon behind the Van like a trailer.  But you are only limited by your own creativity and resourcefulness.  Good Luck ! 

My Own Story

I went with a 2016 Ford Transit Cargo van. I went on my first maiden voyage last week and I averaged 29 MPG. I am 6' so I could not stand up inside, but I found ways around that when I need to get dressed. Just enough space to sleep and store the things I needed.

Thank you all very much! My circumstances have altered my plans so at this point it's nearly any port in the storm. I may be homeless in a month or two tops, no family that I can stay with, might get lucky and be able to crash on a friends couch for first month. Past that I need to have something, anything I can survive in and with hard work and luck, live out of. I consider a vehile old past the 1980s now so a 90s van wouldn't be ruled out. Once owned a '85 Ram conversion van ages ago so no worries. My biggest worry in getting a vehicle is making sure it will last the time needed. Really hate to be driving across New Mexico and have it give up the ghost without warning. Thanks to Bobs channel and all the many like it, I have gotten great ideas for lightweight builds for mininulist living and I look forward to exploring once again. I've been stationary in PA for the last 19 yrs while my sons have grown, longest I've lived anywhere in my entire life.

Currently I live in a 12x12 room so already living with very little. Hardest part of this is having two cats, both rescues and neither able to survive without a human to assist. Hopfully I'll be able to find a good home for them or if possible take them with me. Depends on how long it takes me to get a vehilce. 
  Again thank you all so much for the input and questions, I try to remember and get to them all. A grand week to you all and safe travels as always. May the sun smile upon you softly.

Z

The larger,roomier vans are in high demand right now so if you're up against it, I would look for a mini-van.

Lots of them for sale at reasonable prices and you would at least have a place to sleep and keep some stuff.

Much better MPG than a big van,too and at this time that's a big plus.

Reliability for any old van may be a problem, so shop wisely and see what you can learn about upkeep,etc.

Good luck...

Yeah I've been watching the trends of late and have no illiusions heh. A mini van would be just fine, heck a pick up with a shell on back would do. So long as I've a place to sleep I'm good, I can always upgrade later down the road. Thus far the search has yeilded no fruit but I've just begun. 

A grand 4th to you all, may you find safety and peace in your travels.

Z

...the one I beat ya to...perfect storage...perfect headroom...perfect mpg...perfect price...perfect mileage...perfect durability...perfect clearance...perfect priced...just perfect...perfect powers...perfect perfection...perfectly made in the good Ol U.S. of A... Happy 4th to all freedom lovers...

Yo Z mann. Send me a picture of that van I think I want one just like it. But I am trying to be “perfectly” content with what I got.

"...perfectly made in the good Ol U.S. of A".

If it's a Ford or Dodge or maybe even a Chevy it may well have been made in Canada or Mexico and not in the U.S.

Good point made. Most American made vehicle you can get now is Toyota. Ford, Dodge, and Chevy are very much not American anymore.

Even if it is made in America manufacturers are waiting for parts from Asia and chips from China! Lol!!! Even steel that was made here was getting recycled over seas and sold back to the America I believe, crazy!

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Good point made. Most American made vehicle you can get now is Toyota.

Maybe that's why they've now overtaken GM in total US sales.

Or maybe it's because they sell well-built, desirable products.

bullfrog said:
Even if it is made in America manufacturers are waiting for parts from Asia and chips from China! Lol!!! Even steel that was made here was getting recycled over seas and sold back to the America I believe, crazy!

Not that it changes your point, but most microchips (and other components such as screens) are made in Taiwan, South Korea, and Malaysia. China mostly takes the components from those countries and assembles them into products.