Suddenly, so many DIY vandweller youtubers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youtube sites tend to die off if they do not serve viewers' needs. DIY videos which offer good ideas will often be viewed. Bob Wells' videos are of variable (usually high) quality; youtube channels like cheaprvliving will probably survive for a long time. There are many valuable channels. What is written here will have no impact on the existence of youtube channels.

There might be viewers whose "needs" are served by critical, ignorant and/or misleading youtube channels. As long as such viewers exist, youtube channels which are characterized here as distorting honest vandwelling videos will continue to exist. Fix the human race and the problem vanishes. ;-)

Sadly, most YouTubers take twenty minutes to say ... nothing.

Bored to tears waiting for weekly Wednesday backups, so I looked up "Little House on the Road" and instantly remembered the whining guy who thinks avoiding people is a great thing...and how everyone should live in a plywood camper.   :huh:

I think if I watched more of his vids, I might start seeing the Security Six as a friend to my left temple. (SMH.) :p
(I have often wondered if his old lady is chained up like a dog inside that little box they supposedly live in.)
Poor woman. Poor poor woman. :(

Isn't nomadic life supposed to relieve the stress that makes you into a whiny little bi#$%?
Or is it your own baggage that causes "sniveling-whine-itis?" Hmmm...

Think I will fly a few prayer flags on this...then see how the crystals land for an answer. You know, scientific research.

DAMN this sarcasm again...I've tried sprays, powders and it just keeps coming back. (That DIRTY sarcasm!)

Now where are my meds and tin foil hat? I hear the flying saucers arriving in the distance...

Parkedinavan said:
Come on JD, everyone knows you can't hear the flying saucers.

'dunno, those Star Wars flying machines shure made a lot of racket - in a vacuum even  :p

Listening go on about solar is something to behold

I like Slim Potatohead's channel for the photography, which he is doing with budget gear. And AdventureVanMan for the lack of hype and mellow vibe. Bob's channel for the info. Not really into investing the time to watch beyond those three.

Ok, so I'm into it. BUT, my goal is not to make ANY money off Youtube. My goal is to make it easier for others to give me advice about my build. I don't have a ton of subscribers or views, and that's okay with me. If I can get just one person to look at what I'm doing and tell me a better or cheaper way to do it, it's worth my while. Also, I like having the documentation for myself.

You won't see any Amazon (or otherwise) endorsement links. I do talk about some bargains I've found, but I don't get anything from them.

You won't see any lunch or skimpy bikinis in my videos. You will see me drenched in ceramic insulating paint - the subject of some footage I took today. It was quite an adventure.

Overall, I think Youtube is a GREAT way to explain what I'm doing and get some help from some smart people.

Jim

I like Little House on the Road but when he starts "crunching the numbers" all kinds of weird things turn up. Last week he was spewing out numbers to make it sound like National Forests were more dangerous than New York City.

I also like Slim Potatohead and Rolling Earthship.

Do you sell something or work for a company? Just curious because I sell crystals and thought that would be great to right off gas etc

LOL, the funny thing I haven't been on here for a while because I've been busy creating a YouTube channel. This is the first thread that comes up when I click "new posts." 

Mine is a bus, not a van, though. I'm having a lot of fun doing it, which is the point for me. It's kind of scratching an itch I didn't know I had.  I think it's pretty different than the others out there, but I guess everyone probably thinks that. 

I have been properly shamed into not posting about it here.  I was gonna search "diesel heaters" and post the video I made about mine on an appropriate thread but that feels like a suicide mission now. (Maybe I'll just stick a link in my signature and if anyone is interested they can find their own way).

Guy Smiley said:
No arguments with that from me in general, but this guy BSing other van dwellers and wouldbe’s.

This guy is particularly irksome with his clickbait titles and profiting from piggybacking off others content with zero attribution.

Yup his clickbait iks atrocious. And hearing that "Heeeellllllloooooo" and whatever else he says drives me batty, 
I turn around and get outta that link immediately. I'm always hoping for something informative since I have a pop up camper and so did he, but I always end up just backing out the damn video.

When I'm finally able to get on the road I will youtube but that's cuz I already have a channel with a little bit of comedy I've done. So I'll simply use that channel to video my adventures so my family can see what I'm up to.

If you'd like a little a laugh you can check me out comedian_rosie_martinez
And I don't have subscribers. This is really me just recording a few comedy sets.

highdesertranger said:
just take them with a grain of salt.  remember everything you see/read on the internet isn't true,  some of these guru's give bad advice.  highdesertranger

WHAT? you mean the earth isnt flat?

lenny flank said:
Sadly, most YouTubers take twenty minutes to say ... nothing.

My favorite in this respect is a guy who has become immensely successfully doing gardening videos, but is quite often a complete boob and sometimes gives wrong or just nutty advice, and at huge length.

In one video, he discusses three viewer's questions in turn and takes an hour of bloviating to answer none of them.  

What the ...?  It's not like he was doing spontaneous Q&A on a stage and getting stumped time after time.  He himself picked these things out, choosing questions to which he had no answers!  *sigh*

I know of a youtuber who has a homestead and in one video he washed his dishes out in a puddle of snow melt in his yard so he could conserve water. Every last response to that video was asking him if he was crazy.