Sturdiness of Van Hi-Tops?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hey all,<br>Are van hi-tops sturdy enough to support the weight of any average man?&nbsp; I am planning to install a couple of flexible solar panels onto the roof and was wondering if it would be OK to do so while sitting on the roof.&nbsp; I would only be there long enough to wash the roof, then peel-n-stick the self-adhesive panels onto the roof.&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

I wouldn't do it... I used a ladder next to my van.&nbsp; Remember to use Iso alcohol after washing the contact areas. Did you get the 3M VHB in addition to the panel adhesive?&nbsp; Im not sure what kind the panels use... You definitely don't want to see solar panels dangling in the rear-view mirror...lol &nbsp; <br>

Hi 4x4tour,<br>I was planning buying a couple of these:<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Solar-PVL...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1317202892&amp;sr=8-1<br><br>They've got an adhesive already applied onto the strips, so I only need to align them onto the roof and peel-n-stick.&nbsp; I like these strips because they're slim and low profile.&nbsp; Unless you're looking down from up top somewhere, most folks won't even see these strips on the van's roof.&nbsp; The only visible part would be a couple of cords running down the back of the van and through the crack of the back door (at the rubber molding).<br><br>Now I've gotta either borrow a tall ladder or go buy one.&nbsp; Such a waste of money, since I'm only gonna be using the ladder once.<br><br>

<span id="post_message_1270424013">Now I've gotta either borrow a tall ladder or go buy one.&nbsp; Such a waste of money, since I'm only gonna be using the ladder once.</span>
<br><br>I bought this one to do all the roof work on mine (got it cheaper on QVC):<br><br>http://www.americantitanladder.com/<br><br>You definitely dont want to use a regular straight ladder (scratch up the roof). <br><br><br><br>