Stumped! How to order solar panels w/o address

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredley

Reaction score
I’m in my third month of rubbertramping and it is going really well. However, charging my phone, lights, and laptop has become a chore as I only have my alternator and starter battery. I’m researching portable solar setups, but I can’t figure out how to order panels without an address. They are too big for Amazon lockers, and the price difference and variety between what’s available online vs locally is YUGE ?.  I think PO boxes are out, as well as the fedex personal mailboxes because of the size of the panels. I don’t know anybody at all where I’m at (Southern California). My closest acquaintances are in Oakland and Phoenix.  I am a gig economy worker, so I don’t have a work address.  Has anybody found a good workaround for this problem?  I thought about maybe asking couchsurfing hosts or something, but that requires an awful lot of trust.

What about a commercial mail service or UPS store. Offer to pay a mom and pop type store or motel maybe. Church or homeless shelter?

For real solar.........Check out SanTan Solar in Gilbert Arizona on the Eastern outskirts of Phoenix

He supports HOWA and has some great deals on Used and New panels ......and more

Don't SHIP......................DRIVE !

https://www.santansolar.com/

I second SanTan great people.

where are you at in SoCal? I am currently in SoCal working, I might be here another month. I am in north Orange County. maybe we can work something out I have an address. PM me.

highdesertranger

Order your panels on Walmart.com or Homedepot.com and have the panels sent to a store near you...when you get the notification email, go in and pick them up, or have them carry the panels  out to the parking lot and placed into your vehicle.

Be aware that some products can't always be picked up in the store so make sure your chosen items have that as an option.

Amazon has alot of drop boxes / stores that will hold package for pick up (some rite aid and cvs stores)

For larger items you can ship ‘hold for pickup’ to the shipper. I do this frequently with UPS.

You do need to know the shipper, confirm with the merchant. Sometimes Amazon will use surepost, which is last mile usps delivery, but I think that’s just for smaller items.

Hold for pickup is a good option between delivery and driving. Search for UPS customer service centers, not the UPS stores.

It is not the size of the PO box it is the willongness of the PO Box provider tp a ccept and hold a delivert the size of the solar panels.

Ty for the SanTan plugs. I'd come across them awhile back with good things said but forgotten about them.
Bookmarked.

Wow, this is awesome!  Not sure which option I’ll go for yet, but thank you all for the advice!  I was in a rut when I posted. Now I feel almost overwhelmed with options  :) ‘Preciate y’all.

I ordered online a pair of 100 watt panels from Home Depot. They emailed me when arrived and I replied I'd be there in 4 days. They held them in the pickup area. I think they were "Grape" panels and on sale at the time. Lowes sells "WindyNation" brand panels. Same product as Renogy.

Almost all major retail stores will offer products they don't stock with a competitive price.
Larger stores will hold for customer pickup. Buy online with plastic it's easier.

just my ol 2¢

I have had stuff shipped to Home Depot stores. It was easy and hassle free.

Call your local USPS office and ask if they will accept the dimensions of the package as General Delivery. I couldn't get ones shipped in AZ but had no prob when I was in Fallon NV. Always call and ask.