Seeking Opinions - Hanger Strap to attach solar panel to roof rack?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoTiger

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Greetings from Sioux Falls! Sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while. I've been on the road now for a few months and I'm about to install solar in my minivan, so I can have a fridge & be free of the tyrany of ice - lol! I'm seeking opinions/suggestions on attaching the solar panel to the roof. Here's where I'm at so far:

I decided to attach my 200 watt solar panel to the 2 crossbars of the factory roof rack on my Sienna, as in a youtube video on the Element Van Life channel (see link below). The idea is to first attach 2 strips of "punched angle stock" to the crossbars, and then attach the solar panel to the angle stock (see images below).

I went to home depot and bought to 5-foot lengths of the angle stock similar to what you see in these pictures, but I was unable to find any suitable small brackets to bolt them to the roof rack. (The guy in the video used simple, straight metal brackets probly about 4 inches long with holes at both ends.)

I'm going to try another hardware store tomorrow, but in the meantime, I have another idea...

What do you thihk of me buying a roll of galvanized steel "hanger straps"? The kind that HVAC ducts are hung with in your basement. I could easily cut them any length I want with snips, and since they are flexible, I copuld actually bend them around the cross bar of the roofrack, so they hug the crossbar, and secure them to the angle stock with a short bolts. If I can find a bolt short enough. I would use large washers to give a good secure hold on the strap.

Are the straps strong enough? It seems to me, the only way a strap will fail is if there is enough sheer force to tear the steel strap. Heck, I could probably even double up the strapps, 2 layers, one on top of the other for double strength.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Anybody have a better idea?

Did I lose you in all that hardware jargon? Lol!

A picture's worth a thousand words, so I'm adding a couple pics to clarify. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Peace,

Greg (Stymie)

The video that inspired me:

Attachments

• RoofInstall01.jpg
    RoofInstall01.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10
  • RoofInstall02.jpg
    RoofInstall02.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7
  • RoofInstallHangerStrap.jpg
    RoofInstallHangerStrap.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1
I installed a panel to a similar rack on my dodge caravan. I used 2 sections of U Chanel, one attached to the front, one to the back of the panel. The U channel fit perfectly into the cross bar of the existing rack, I had to drill a couple more holes For the locking slides to bring the bars up tight, into the panel. Then I put two screws through each U Channel Into the rack cross pieces, job done. It sits flush with the top of bars so you can still put a canoe on the rack and hardly notice the panel.

I am not sure I was clear by slides I mean those things that you lift up to adjust the position of the cross bars it is possible that yours will fit in one of your existing holes but that is unlikely. The material the slide bars are made of is only plastic so easy to make new holes even though they look like metal. The whole thing took an hour at most.

Hanger strap can break when flexed and probably isn’t as strong as an angle bracket which you should be able to find although depending on bolt size you may have to slightly enlarge the holes. Most solar panel suppliers have those brackets available.

If it were me, I'd just drill holes through the roof rack cross bars and bolt the punched angle stock to it. In fact, if it weren't for the curve in the roof rack bars, I'd bolt the panel directly to it, skip the punched angle stock. However, some small blocks at the corners of the panel could provide enough clearance to compensate for the curve. There are L-brackets solar supply places offer that could accomplish the same thing.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will keep them all in mind when I go to the hardware store today. I don't believe there are any solar stores in this city, just installation contractors, and I don't have time to order and wait.

I considered drilling into the roof rack and decided that I' not going to do that. The entire rack is only rated at 150 lbs as it is, and I don't want to do anything that might reduce that by even an ounce. I do plan on eventually getting a kayak and carrying it up there, panel on one side, kayak on the other.

As for the straps, I can't imagine a scenario where they twist. But I will try to find a suitable bracket. I wish they made a U-bolt with exactly the dimensions I need, but I'm pretty certain such a U-bolt doesn't exist.

Thanks again,

Stymie

You can bend all thread but most spring places used to be able to make u bolts but any hardware or NAPA store should have a large selection of exhaust clamps and u bolts.

I should also note that this system with the angle stock is pretty flexible. It will enable me to change the position of, and distance between, the crossbars anytime I want to. Though I will have to remove a few bolts to do so.

in this thread and the recent other thread about mounting panels no one is mentioning the galvanic action that takes place when placing dissimilar touching each other. since solar panels use an aluminum frame only aluminum should be used up against the frame. stainless is also acceptable. this action is greatly enhanced by salt water or salt air. highdesertranger

I'm glad you brought up galvanic action. I wasn't aware of this. I have researched it, and I am concerned about it, but I cannot find anything to indicate just how serious this could be for my setup and situation. Since the build is done, I'm going to let it stand and monitor it over time.

Thanks again,

-Stymie