Storing Fishing Kayak w/o compromising Solar Panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullfrog said:
The UltraSkiff can be fitted with oar locks and rowed, in fact it is so stable you could probably rig up some type bicycle petal assembly.
Wow. Didn't know that was a thing. Maybe mount it over the spare tire? JK  :p

MrNoodly said:
How big a part of your life is fishing/kayaking currently? Do you live to fish/kayak? Every day? Because if it's just something you do occasionally then hauling a kayak around gets old rather quickly. Any way you carry it will have drawbacks, and if those drawbacks aren't outweighed by your love -- your need -- to fish/kayak, you'll have this thing just taking up physical (and mental) space, inflicting its drawbacks. This is the case with any bulky item we want to have with us.
I want to learn fishing better and catch/cook when I can. I haven't been able to do this until now. I think I can live with some downsides if I can protect and secure the yak. Was planning to use the scuppers to secure to any solution I come up with. But I hear what your saying. Unfortunately, I started out looking at ISUPs and configuring them for fishing and then I saw my first fishing yak and.....the rest is history.

You want to be careful using scuppers. There is a seam between the upper and lower molding that when stressed tends to crack open and leak. Also many of the kayaks get tossed because people put too much weight on the seats usually while still sitting on the bank and because the ground doesn’t distribute the weight like water the scupper tube cracks out of the bottom. This is the reason many no longer use carts that insert in the supper holes for transport. Scupper tube problems are the most common reason I get free kayaks to repair!

"if you ever plan to do off highway driving anything mounted on the sides is going to be a problem."

key word off highway. off highway = narrow roads = ripping the thing right off the side of the vehicle.

so I have to ask where are you planning on going?
back east?
do you plan to stay on paved roads?
Frisbee golf, I haven't seen a Frisbee golf course in years. they certainly aren't around where I go, lake or not. it sounds to me like you're thinking of KOA and Jellystone type RV parks.

highdesertranger

Is there a problem with storing the kayak inside your ProMaster while traveling ? My wife, and I keep our inflatable paddleboards (inflated 10' long) along with my daughter's, and SIL's inside of our 30' camper. 4 paddleboards can then go underneath the camper when we park.

this is not related to mounting the kayaks but I was wondering do kayaks, paddle boards, and wind surfers have to conform to the same regulations for invasive species as regular boats?

highdesertranger

Absolutely, basically anything that touches the water has a drying period or must be decontaminated. Inspectors have had invasive mussels turned in from dog owners who upon getting home and bathing / brushing their pet found them. Anything that floats is a boat in most states and all boats have a dry time dependent on time of the year. Equipment, dive gear, waders and water toys as well need to be inspected if the inspection station is open, if not clean, drain and dry. Right now the drying time is 30 days out of rain, free of tarps or covers that could catch condensations and drain plugs removed and left out on the ramp as you leave. One liter of water can have over 100,000 microscopic mussels! Free hot water decontaminations are available for most smaller items and boats at most inspection stations.

thanks for that great explanation.

so how hot does the water need to be? and what does decontamination entail? just a hot water wash?

highdesertranger

Exposure to 140 degree hot water (not steam) for 5 seconds kills them. Decontamination times for small boats usually less than twenty minutes and that includes running the outboard motor. Paperwork takes 5 minutes. Decontamination is only necessary if you cannot meet the dry time and can be arranged by contacting the state’s Department of Natural Resources or any inspection station. Currently Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both infested. Ask me what I’ve been doing all summer! Lol!!! They basically use modified military tank steam cleaners like they used in the Middle East to produce a large amount of hot water and basically rinse it off. It pays to insure what you are getting inspected is clean before coming to the inspection station as if attached shells are found it complicates the process and could possibly end up with a 30 day impound.

It all depends on a lot of factors. The design of the kayak, the vehicle, whether or not you have a hitch receiver, how much solar you have, how far you need to take it and if you have to secure and store it in place. I simply installed two eye bolts through the top of my roof and threaded a large rope through a piece of PVC pipe to create a roller rear rack. I used a cut down furniture dolly or bike trailer ratchet strapped to the top of the kayak to get it to the water. When loading I just have to roll up behind my vehicle and lift the one end of the kayak onto the roller then go to the rear end of the kayak to lift that end and push it onto the roof using the roller/rack to support most of the weight. I have two elevated guides/hook mounts mounted to the front of my roof and simply use two ratchet straps to secure the kayak to the roof using mount/guides and the rear roller eye bolts. As a safety I tie the bow line to the front bumper. I changed my dolly wheels for go cart wheels and go a few miles locally simply by securing the bow line to my trailer hitch ball or a piece of lumber and closing it in my trunk and going slow in order not to have to load it on the roof while using it locally. I am older and can not lift the entire kayak at once plus my vehicles get used or modified to function for me. My fishing kayak is 30" wide and 13' long, close to 85 pounds and difficult to handle by myself but this works. It doesn't stay on the roof much once I park.

Last edited:
If you have a DC to DC charger as part of the charging system for your battery bank, when you are in transit chances are your battery bank will stay charged enough during periods of travel when the solar panels would be covered by the kayak. When in one place for multiple days you would need to take the kayak off the roof, so it would need to be extremely easy and quick to take it off the rack, and to get it back up there when you leave. The rack I have has a roller bar at the rear, which facilitates pushing the kayak into position quickly. That would be a minor PITA but any complicated mounting procedure would be a major PITA. I used a roller from a boat trailer on the roof of a truck mounted camper I used to own. Just plop the tip of the kayak on it and get in back and push. Then tighten straps and it was good to go.

I see ads for folding kayaks that fold up into a suitcase size for storage. https://www.orukayak.com/ . Haven't seen any in person, but they seem to be rigid enough providing the area that folds doesn't eventually develop leaks. I'm debating taking a kayak with me. At present I'm thinking I will leave it at a relatives house in California and pick it up before heading down the Baja Peninsula where I know I'd use it a lot. No point in carrying it in dry desert or mountain situations.

As often as you see them for sale it should be pretty easy to buy and sell them before long trips. We basically migrate twice a year and got tired of hauling one long distances. All mine have been pulled from the dumpster and repaired so basically I have very little money in them so I have one at both destinations and a few to let people borrow.

I just purchased an 11.5 ft kayak, and was hoping to get some info on what rack attachment folks use, and how they secure the kayak when driving. Looking at just getting J shaped ones, but was seeing if folks had any tips.
If you're in a van...couldn't you have a kind/sorta have a hammock and carry it diagonally INSIDE ?