Student Loans - Can you live the van life with them?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason not to work for a year, pay down debt and buy the vehicle you want. I also see no reason why you can't do it now and work as a nomad using current skills or getting new ones. I made the mistake of listening to people who were "wiser" than me for too long. They weren't.  Mostly they were just under the illusion that they were. I had to start listening to myself to feel happy about my decisions. Stop listening to us "old timers" and listen to yourself.

@highdesertranger, yes - a guy did his masters(for got which path he chose) at a prestigious college in the US. He cut his costs by living in a van during his school time living on college property then went to Fairbanks Alaska to work as a park ranger to fund his year and chip away at his loans - he paid ~60k in two years to debt freedom 1 year after he got his degree. It similar to what I am doing now. I am 24 living in a van to reduce costs while at a community college furthering my electrical skill to become an onboard cruise ship electrician. During my time at college I am saving for road trips around the country(New Zealand) and after i graduate i will pay the loan back in a year(~30kUSD). Providing my i don't have any catastrophic engine failure(touch van) I'll be debt free paying no rent and living the dream nomadically in no time.