Strange SSA deposits

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
My credit union sends me an automated email when my checking acct. posts either a large withdrawal or a large deposit.

Today I received two separate deposits from the SSA that add up to my monthly retirement amount (actually it was .40 cents short).

One deposit was about 1/4 of the total and included .40 cents. The other,larger amount included .20 cents

Also, it's strange that I received them today. Usually I don't get SSA until the 3rd.

Anyone else ever get these odd SSA deposits?

WanderingRose said:
Is it a stimulus check, or two?   

No, I received that on the 27th. 

My monthly benefit is a little less than the $1200 stimulus and isn't a round number.

I dunno. Some kind of mistake maybe.  I guess if I receive another shot on the 3rd. I'll know something isn't right.

I would call social security disability. They can very well ask for that money back at any given time. Even if it's more than 7 years. I received a letter recently telling me they overpaid me 10 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes do call or write an inquiry. 

Once SSA start you on the overpayment track it is a huge hassle, and can cut off benefits without notice (happened to me).

Be advised, SSA and IRS share information, including determining the amount of money you will earn next year and other intrusive investigations. I don't even know what my income is for next year, it hasn't happened yet. So check the figure they are using, especially applies if you are under 70 years old.

Also if you have ill relatives who could name you in their will- IRS and SSA know about this even if you don't and they count it as income. The wills are filed in the courthouse, they look them up and wait for the relatives to die so they can pounce on you.

This happened to me. I was told by an SSA agent that my relative was going to die within six months and they were going to collect. Shocking and threatening all at the same time. 
-crofter

crofter: You wrote "I was told by an SSA agent that my relative was going to die within six months and they were going to collect." Did they want inheritance taxes?

slow2day said:
Anyone else ever get these odd SSA deposits?
I do get these odd deposits from time to time, separate from the SS check.
I chalked on the fact that I still work part time (and pay SS tax) so they are making adjustments as they go, as they provide no explanation.

I don't care for explanations much, I just wish they'd put some zeroes before the dot.

SLB_SA said:
crofter:  You wrote "I was told by an SSA agent that my relative was going to die within six months and they were going to collect."  Did they want inheritance taxes?
The agent did not say or even which relative. I was shocked to be addressed like that and threatened. 

As far as I know, there is an executor of a will who has the responsibility of contacting people, not agents of the government, followed by a year of probate, and if anything is left that amount is paid out to the named survivors.

It does not even make sense that an agent of the government is threatening people and their ill relatives.
-crofter

crofter said:
The agent did not say or even which relative. I was shocked to be addressed like that and threatened. 

As far as I know, there is an executor of a will who has the responsibility of contacting people, not agents of the government, followed by a year of probate, and if anything is left that amount is paid out to the named survivors.

It does not even make sense that an agent of the government is threatening people and their ill relatives.
-crofter
That sounds like a scam.

crofter said:
Also if you have ill relatives who could name you in their will- IRS and SSA know about this even if you don't and they count it as income. The wills are filed in the courthouse, they look them up and wait for the relatives to die so they can pounce on you.

This happened to me. I was told by an SSA agent that my relative was going to die within six months and they were going to collect. Shocking and threatening all at the same time.

Inheritance money is not taxable as income.

How would the IRS know when someone was going to 'die within six months'?  So now the IRS is clairvoyant?

Knowledge of a will filing wouldn't mean much.

How were you contacted by the supposed 'SSA agent' who told you this?  By phone?

If so, it's undoubtedly an attempted scam as official correspondence is always by mail.

If you had a relative die, what was the outcome with the IRS?

WanderingRose said:
This thread is almost a year old.

Just sayin.

LOL. My payments after that were back to the usual, so I didn't worry about it.

Best I can tell was that they were fiddling with the direct deposit and the deductions for the Medicare premium.

slow2day said:
...How would the IRS know when someone was going to 'die within six months'? ....

.... what was the outcome with the IRS?
Apparently they are able to find out when a person enters Hospice, a six month pallaitave care stay, even if I was not aware that I had a relative in hospice. 

Outcome? I was threatened by a person claiming to be an agent of the government on the phone. As others have said, could be a scam.
-crofter

crofter said:
Outcome? I was threatened by a person claiming to be an agent of the government on the phone. As others have said, could be a scam.

It was definitely a scam. So post #6 was bogus information.

Happens all the time on the 'net. So let's be wary folks!

slow2day said:
It was definitely a scam.
Many people have a warm and wonderful relationship with their social security check. What I posted earlier was my experience, and others have had similar experience. With any luck, will not be your experience.

I get it, everyone wants to click a link and get the internet answer, not read a true story of what happened to someone, especially if there is no happy ending.
-crofter

crofter said:
-crofter
I have two thoughts here.  First, how do you know that the person you were told by was actually a SSA agent?  Did you visit a SSA office?  (Also, SSA employees often give incorrect information and are sometimes prevented by SSA regulation from adequately informing you.  Read "Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security" link)  Second, sometimes A happens and then B happens buy A did not cause B, some other item C caused B.  Coincidence is not uncommon.

Sorry, no not an office visit, closed due to covid. I had numerous phone calls to SSA and this was a person who had access to answer their phone, I must assume that their agents answer their phones and not random people due the the excessive security of their offices.

The book looks interesting, but lets face it, our social support system was set up for healthy people. If you get disabled you will have to collect sooner and a lesser amount than if you remained healthy and retired at age 70. Some retirees have no choice, disabled gets you a kick in the pants out of the workforce.
-crofter

I agree that waiting until age 70 to start taking social security is an option which works best for healthy people.  In my case, I am mostly healthy although I had a tooth extracted last week and am still restricted to soft food, have (pretty mild) asthma, had five surgeries over the last 20 years for this and that, have an annual exam next month to check my bypass, etc.  I was talking last night with my sister and brother-in-law about this gamble; what I don't make it past 69? I also understand the issue of leaving the workforce earlier than expected.  I am living on my retirement account until I turn 70; I have "leaky bucket" syndrome.  :rolleyes: :D (Actually, I wish I had left the workforce a few years earlier and become a nomad.)

As for the book, there are lots of reasons to read it.  A friend of mine is 71.  She was getting (ex)spousal social security.  She had been fighting workman's comp for years.  When she turned 70,she switched to her own social security benefit.  Then she won her workman's comp case.  Because she was getting her own social security benefit, most of her workman's comp benefit was withheld; if she had remained on ex-husband's account, she would have received 100% of the workman's comp settlement. Knowledge is power.