Storing generator and gas can

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tc112969

Reaction score
I'll likely keep the generator and gas can under the bed at first, too many other things to work on for now. I do have two ideas and I'm wondering if anyone thinks they would work or has tried anything similar. First, a fake spare tire on the rear door that I can conceal the generator in and somehow lock. Second, the van is a high top with a lot of free closed in space above the driver and passenger seat. I'm wondering if I can mount the generator up there and cut a hole in the roof to vent it outside so I can run it inside. I have 2 co2 detectors and would obviously have to be very careful about trying this but I figure it's worth considering.

You want to be extremely careful with any gasoline stored so it is vented to any part of your living space. Check a few commercial RVs to see how they do it.

Amen to that. Gasoline is something to be very aware of and highly flammable even a good jerry can is not totally safe.&nbsp;<br><br><br>

Overhead placement wouldn't be a wise choice as a fuel leak could be disastrous. Refueling would be more difficult and there would be more chances for spills. I think you'd find the vibration and noise with it mounted there would be pretty bad also.

good advice here from everybody.&nbsp; never store gas inside an enclosed vehicle.&nbsp; murphy will show up.&nbsp; highdesertranger

<p>For you folks, (BOB ! ..?), that keep a small genny for a "rainy-day(s)-backup and are living in a van; how/where do you store your gas ?&nbsp; Also, I've been told that gas goes bad.....do you find you use the genny enuff so as not to end up with "old gas" and not being able to use it when ya need it ? Lastly, how much gas do you keep on hand and in what type container ?<br>Thanks................KinA</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

I've been giving this problem a bit of thought, and at this point, I'm thinking about storing my generator gas in my gas tank.<br><br>In other words, I'm trying to figure out the best way to put a tee and an on-off valve (or maybe two) in my fuel line so I can draw a quart or two into a small container whenever I need to fuel the genny.<br><br>This would simultaneously solve the old fuel and no containers inside the vehicle problems.<br><br>Regards<br>John<br><br>

<em><strong><span style="color: #888888;">Or buy one of the new generation Diesel gensets. higher outputs, Super quiet, economical, reasonably safe, well at least they don't go bang.</span></strong></em><br><em><strong><span style="color: #888888;">backpackers here in Oz (who think it's 500 miles between towns) carry their fuel on roof racks or spare tyre racks.</span></strong></em><br><em><strong><span style="color: #888888;">It's rare to have petrol stolen down here.<br>Geoff</span></strong></em>

I carried a generator at the rear of my camper van on a homemade wooden cargo carrier. Yes, it was a little vulnerable there but I had it covered plus chains and a lock. The carrier was narrower than the metal ones you can buy and was just wide enough for the 1500W generator. A 2 gall. gas jug was carried in an old Coleman cooler that rode next to the generator. It was vented at the bottom with a couple of holes. If the gas wasn't used up, every 2 weeks or so I would just pour it into the van tank and then fill the jug with fresh.<br><br>BTW...tapping into fuel lines of a fuel-injected vehicle is not a good idea because the fuel pressure is much higher than on a carbureted vehicle.<br><br>

Inside the van you will need an air tight box with a vent outside. Make sure it stays sealed. Gas goes bad after a month or 2. IF worried about it get gas without any ethanol (marine gas), it will not gum up. IF not using the gen for a while drain ALL gas out of it including all in carb. or Clean carb before using.&nbsp;<br><br>I suggest doing without.&nbsp; -&nbsp; 3 - 150 watt solar panels with regulator at harbor freight.&nbsp; for $ 170.00 about.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I'm leaning more and more to doing without the generator. My only problem is I have a hi top van. Ordering the flexible solar panels is next on my list, hopefully tomorrow. I don't have my notes with me now but I believe I can fit 2- 68 watt panels. I also believe I read that you want 1 to 1.5 x Amp hr capacity for your total watts. Now I have 225ah but if you consider I'll only be running them 50% down at most, this should work out about right. Like I said, I have to go back and check on this so please chime in if I'm off on anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks.

It would be best to only run them down 80%-75%. The battery will last longer.<br>What type of battery?&nbsp; I hope it is a deep cycle.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

2 Trojan t105's(deep cycle). 6v 225ah wired in series for 12v, 225 ah.&nbsp;I don't believe I have many energy needs, but from reading other posts I realize you always use more than you expect to. For now I will be using a laptop, a fan(maybe 2), led lights, and charging my phone and mifi device. I have a friend who is going to help me get the panels on the roof next week&nbsp;so once that's done I will have a good idea of where I'm at. Obviously I'll be&nbsp;happy if I don't have to buy a generator. Also, I was under the impression that most people were running their batteries down further than 75%. Learning more every day. Thanks!

if you install a hitch, you can use one of those cargo carriers to store the generator and fuel cans. there are lots of ways to conceal/cover/finish it off to make it out of site or stealthy as well as harder to steal.<br><br>some of the carriers even swing away so you can open the rear doors.<br><br>perhaps a tool box bolted to the cargo carrier itself would work.<br><br>aluminess has rear bumpers with swing out spare tire carrier on driver side and large box for passenger side.&nbsp; i have seen the box modified so the generator can run in there along with storing the fuel. doable, safe and secure with the right mods.<br><br>only problem is that the aluminess product is wicked expensive. if you can imagine something similar and weld it up yourself or have a buddy so it youd save tons.

Tapping into a pressurized fuel line is a bad idea all around. This tap will be an instant weak spot. Now you're accessing it once a week. One day it gives up, and gas all over.<br><br>That siphon kit looks like a big mess. After each use, there's gas residue all inside the unit and hoses, maybe at least 2/10 of a cup. That would smell for a while each time inside your van.<br><br>Landscaper carries 5-10 gallons of gas in containers everyday. Some have only a cargo van. Gas cans sitting right inside. My grass cutting guy doesn't even bother to close the cap. His 5-gal plastic container has the spout pointing out &amp; open at all times for easy &amp; quick access. Not saying this is smart, but just keep things well secured. <br><br>I wonder why they don't sell those really nice military gas cans any longer.