Stopped with guns in vehicle [was: Another gun thread]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oopslala

Reaction score
I've just got a couple quick questions regarding being stopped with guns in the vehicle.

I've been pulled over 3 times in my life, and every time I've been asked if I have any alcohol/drugs/guns with me.

I have a CPL for Michigan which is valid in most states I'll be traveling in, so that's not my concern.  I'll have more guns inside my camper.  I know it can vary state by state, but from my understanding, as long as the guns are stored in a case not in a cabin, and separate from any ammo it's legal.

That brings me to the question, do I have to declare them when asked if I have any guns? I recall reading that you only have to answer questions that are regarding the reason for the stop.  

I'm planning on reading through the federal laws and state laws of states I'll be traveling but I know you can transport guns in all states as long as stored correctly, and I'm hoping to have what I understand from the laws verified by you guys.

In some states, you are required, by law, to inform any LEO who stops you if you are carrying a concealed handgun.  I believe these states wrote it into law when they wrote their CCW laws - it's a condition of carrying a concealed weapon.

Go to:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

And check on any state you are interested in.  It's right on the top of the state page:  "Must Inform Officer By Law"  followed either by a YES or NO.  There will be more information further down the page.

If I remember correctly, there are about 10 or 12 states that have this requirement.

There is also a section on each page on "RV/car carry without a permit/license"

BTW, you're from Michigan?  You're not aware that MI requires you to disclose to any cop who stops you?

I know the conceal carry laws for Michigan, the question was directed about the stored guns in the camper. I couldn't find the part for rv transportation though.

I recall a story from the guy who instructed my CPL class told us a story that a man carrying didn't disclose immediately that he was carrying, took 30 seconds after letting the officer finish with his questions, then disclosed he was packing heat. In court he was found guilty.

After re-reading I didn't really clarify very well thst my questions were directed at the guns stored in the RV, not conceal carry gun. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the link

EDIT: After reading the link it doesn't specify on declaring properly stored guns when asked if firearms are being transported.

Yea, there are a few that you must declare if YOU are carrying a gun ON YOU. You should look up each state's laws before entering, just in case.

Having one in the car/truck/van following the Federal safe storage requirements (locked, ammo separate, away from you, etc) does not need to be declared for a traffic stop.

In fact, if you do NOT want to answer that question. You can not lie (illegal to do so) but nor do you want to answer in the affirmative as you may have just given cause for them to search your vehicle. Simply state, with all respect, "Sorry officer, I have been advised not answer any questions without my attorney present" and leave it at that. They may try to add some pressure, but don't fall for it. Just stay respectful and repeat your right to not answer any questions. They will send you on your way soon enough.

I really wish the feds would create some legislation that makes it legal to carry in all states if you're licensed in your home state same, as a Driver's license. In my younger days I used to carry all over the country and although always done safely, I can only imagine how many times I was carrying illegally but was justifying doing so by telling myself......Well better to be alive and fighting some illegal gun charges then dead following all the laws. However, didn't occur to me back then that many people get caught for carrying where they aren't supposed to and not just in a defend your life situation and i've read many stories online of it basically ruining their lives with jail time, lawyers fees, etc all over a simple traffic stop where it was discovered they had a gun on them. I rarely carry over state lines these days.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I really wish the feds would create some legislation that makes it legal to carry in all states if you're licensed in your home state same, as a Driver's license.  In my younger days I used to carry all over the country and although always done safely, I can only imagine how many times I was carrying illegally but was justifying doing so by telling myself......Well better to be alive and fighting some illegal gun charges then dead following all the laws.  However, didn't occur to me back then that many people get caught for carrying where they aren't supposed to and not just in a defend your life situation and i've read many stories online of it basically ruining their lives with jail time, lawyers fees, etc all over a simple traffic stop where it was discovered they had a gun on them.  I rarely carry over state lines these days.

Yep, I carry any time I *legally* can. My CCW is valid in 32 states, and another few more allow me to open-carry anyway, so you can get some pretty good coverage nowadays. But, there are always going to be a state or two (cough-cough; California) that you just can not do it legally. I do all that I can to stay that "law abiding gun owner" that the majority of us are, but it is increasingly difficult each year with the CA politicians adding more and more laws on the books making it more and more difficult to stay on the legal side. I'd love to just avoid CA, but myself and my girl both have family there.

A 50-state CCW may be a reality in our lifetime, but it will have to be battled out between the Federal Govn't and those anti-gun states (CA, NY, NJ, DC, HI, etc) in the courts. No way are those states going to give up their power to restrict without a fight. Take DC for example; in 2008 they were out0right told by the Supreme Court that they must allow handguns in the district. They are still doing all that they can to stop it. Chicago was told that they must allow handguns to be carried, and they too are still fighting it any way they can. CA was told that they too *must* issue CCW permits, and they too are fighting it. It seems that they will violate the laws and direct orders from the courts with no punishment, but if we did then we are felons.

One day...

you gun totters talk about freedom all the time, seems to me, you are limiting your freedom by trying to carry a gun everywhere. It is a major expense, a nuisance to have to handle it/ pack it around, takes up space, is antisocial, a hassle to keep track of legalities and a legal nightmare if you ever use it, I can't see why any one would bother? What use is it? How many people have you shot today? in the last week? or even in the last year? like the saying goes if you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it.

flying kurbmaster said:
you gun totters talk about freedom all the time, seems to me, you are limiting your freedom by trying to carry a gun everywhere. It is a major expense, a nuisance to have to handle it/ pack it around, takes up space, is antisocial, a hassle to keep track of legalities and a legal nightmare if you ever use it, I can't see why any one would bother? What use is it? How many people have you shot today? in the last week? or even in the last year? like the saying goes if you haven't used it in the last year get rid of it.

Well, a couple of those cited negatives sound like misconceptions rather than intrinsic values (antisocial :huh: ) but I can sum up the why of it:

A gun is like a condom: Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That being said. I carried concealed every day from the time I was an adult in my home state. When this traveling life of mine came about, I didn't even consider taking guns with me at all. I put them into storage. I don't even have one stowed in the van. It just wasn't worth it to me to keep track of various laws while traveling. I think for most who carry it becomes part of an identity. For me that was a testament to how strongly I identify with my newfound freedoms to give up carrying a handgun.

I use my gun(s) regularly actually. Shooting people is not the only use of a gun. In fact I would say I use it every single day, just like you and I may "use" a belt, or a pair of shoes, or a jacket. How often have you used your spare tire or fire extinguisher this year? Month? Week? You dropping those off in the dumpster anytime soon?

Yes, it does come with some limitations, but once those parts of the country begin to accept that it is our CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED RIGHT (not "given right", but "protected right") and not up for debate or the democratic process, then life will [continue] to get easier for us "gun totters" as it has been for the last few decades. When our rights stop BEING VIOLATED, then the limitations will ease.

I have not shot a single person in my entire life, but I have used a gun three times to defend my self and my loved ones (without firing a shot BTW). I have also encountered numerous bears and cougars out on trails, although I have yet to have to fire upon one, thankfully.

I would disagree on the "antisocial" comment as well. I often meet, greet, shake hands, and become good friends with random strangers at the shooting range. Other campers come up to me out of the blue and start talking to be about guns. I've made tons and tons of friends that I would not have made simply because a gun is visible on my hip. I am often welcomed and thanked by business owners for carrying a gun. I am, by far, more social now then I ever was before I started carrying 24/7/365

Just two weeks ago went with a group camping nearby to go shooting. At the end of the day I gifted a gun to a 9 year old girl (and yes that is 100% legal), via her parents of course, because she went shooting for the first time that day and loved it. Now she can have more fun, and learn some great lessons in the process. She, as well as her Mother and Father, were extremely thankful and will be friends for life... because of a gun. This is her and her Father having some great family time together... look at that smile! How long can you keep your 9 year old's attention? He had her undivided attention for 3 full hours that day, no electronics needed, and it will be a LIFE LONG memory for them both. That is her rifle now, BTW.

Those guys in the back of the photo, invited us back out the next day to try all his "fun guns", (as he put it), and we did. He had a huge selection and gave me some great advice for future purchases. Again, another friend made simply because I carry and use a gun.

PS - no human or animal was harmed in two days at the range with thousands of bullets fired. Funny how that works huh?

[img=643x643]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...5cd4e51efceca7087c36e05a29c&oe=579CA4DC[/img]

Flying Kurbmaster, another reason a lot of us carry and put up with the cost and discomfort is to be able to protect YOU ! et al
“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.”
                    George Orwell

KinA

Van-Tramp said:
Yep, I carry any time I *legally* can. My CCW is valid in 32 states, and another few more allow me to open-carry anyway, so you can get some pretty good coverage nowadays. But, there are always going to be a state or two (cough-cough; California) that you just can not do it legally. I do all that I can to stay that "law abiding gun owner" that the majority of us are, but it is increasingly difficult each year with the CA politicians adding more and more laws on the books making it more and more difficult to stay on the legal side. I'd love to just avoid CA, but myself and my girl both have family there.

A 50-state CCW may be a reality in our lifetime, but it will have to be battled out between the Federal Govn't and those anti-gun states (CA, NY, NJ, DC, HI, etc) in the courts. No way are those states going to give up their power to restrict without a fight. Take DC for example; in 2008 they were out0right told by the Supreme Court that they must allow handguns in the district. They are still doing all that they can to stop it. Chicago was told that they must allow handguns to be carried, and they too are still fighting it any way they can. CA was told that they too *must* issue CCW permits, and they too are fighting it. It seems that they will violate the laws and direct orders from the courts with no punishment, but if we did then we are felons.

One day...

It's borderline insanity the mindset they have.  I live in Mass which is another gun hating state. Politician wise anyways, i've had nothing but pleasant experiences with the police here when dealing with firearms.  However, its up to each city or towns police department on issuing CCW's and most towns are pretty good about it.  The state police are in charge of issuing out of state permits and from what I hear they are pretty easy to deal with as well.  Most people that don't like firearms actually don't know much or anything about them which essentially makes them scared of the unknown.  I've taken quite a few anti gun people shooting over the years and have yet to have one not convert.  My ex gf's Dad was so against her dating me once he found out I owned them.  Year into it, I finally got him to go to the range with me.  Long story short, he picked up shooting skeet like a natural and travels all over New England for competitions.

TMG51 said:
Well, a couple of those cited negatives sound like misconceptions rather than intrinsic values (antisocial :huh: ) but I can sum up the why of it:

A gun is like a condom: Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

That being said. I carried concealed every day from the time I was an adult in my home state. When this traveling life of mine came about, I didn't even consider taking guns with me at all. I put them into storage. I don't even have one stowed in the van. It just wasn't worth it to me to keep track of various laws while traveling. I think for most who carry it becomes part of an identity. For me that was a testament to how strongly I identify with my newfound freedoms to give up carrying a handgun.

I'm on the same page as you.  Had been shooting since I was 7 years old, carried every day for most my adult life in my home state.  Stopped carrying years ago when I started traveling a lot because the negatives were out weighing the positives.  However, if they ever go national with the licenses I'll reconsider my position.

Van-Tramp said:
Just two weeks ago went with a group camping nearby to go shooting. At the end of the day I gifted a gun to a 9 year old girl (and yes that is 100% legal), via her parents of course, because she went shooting for the first time that day and loved it. Now she can have more fun, and learn some great lessons in the process. She, as well as her Mother and Father, were extremely thankful and will be friends for life... because of a gun. This is her and her Father having some great family time together... look at that smile! How long can you keep your 9 year old's attention? He had her undivided attention for 3 full hours that day, no electronics needed, and it will be a LIFE LONG memory for them both. That is her rifle now, BTW.

Ruger 10-22?  That's prob one of the best gifts she's ever or will ever receive and will provide a lifetime of memories.

As a physically disabled young woman to whom pepper spray would be fatal, I'm eagerly looking forward to the day I can get a gun. Finances and minimal experience are the only two things standing in my way.

Twice in my life I've found myself in a situation where I had no physical escape from a would-be perpetrator. Those minutes of scrounging around for any possible weapon and terrified in the knowledge that I had nothing adequate are seared into my memory. If you can't get away, the mental difference between being armed and ready vs. having nothing adequate is HUGE.

There's a specific local area that's unsafe to even drive through without a loaded gun on you. It's the most highly contested territory for gangs in the area. My bf was explaining to me how carrying a gun would make it safer to pass through: even though the gang who's currently in control will shoot at pretty much anyone who's out of place, if you're running/driving away and fire a few shots back they will cease pursuit. Otherwise, they will continue until you are dead. Now, this protective measure doesn't work as well with all gangs, mind you--there are others who would continue shooting and pursuit regardless. But this particular gang is one that leans more towards self-preservation than "dying with honor", thus shooting back suddenly makes you no longer worth the risk of pursuit.

A few years ago a mountain goat in Olympic National Park was mauled to death by a mountain goat. From the story it sounds very likely a gun would have resolved the issue without human fatality: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...man-63-attacked-eating-lunch-article-1.192919

I have a few guns for hunting and target shooting.But,I have to say I agree with Ronald Reagan.No civilian has any should be carrying a loaded firearm on the street.

Bob Dickerson said:
I have a few guns for hunting and target shooting.But,I have to say I agree with Ronald Reagan.No civilian has any should be carrying a loaded firearm on the street.

I'd agree with that if murderers, rapists, violent people, thieves, gangs, drug dealers, and the like agreed to play by those rules.  However, because they don't abide by those rules is a perfectly good reason civilians should and are allowed to carry loaded firearms on the street.

Ken in Anaheim said:
Flying Kurbmaster, another reason a lot of us carry and put up with the cost and discomfort is to be able to protect YOU ! et al
“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm.”
                    George Orwell

KinA

thanks Ken for protecting me, sorry I missed it, it must have happened while I slept peacefully.

Every Road Leads Home said:
  Most people that don't like firearms actually don't know much or anything about them which essentially makes them scared of the unknown.  I've taken quite a few anti gun people shooting over the years and have yet to have one not convert. 

I get the attraction to guns, they are very sexy especially handguns, and the power that you feel when you have one on your person, it is like growing an extra 4 inches, I have handled guns and know a bit about them. I have been involved with shooting bear, coyotes, wolves, moose, rabbits, cows,pheasants, partridges,wolverine and deer, I worked on very remote ranches. I understand why people like Big Macs, ice cream, potato chips, pop, however I also know that the negatives that come from consuming those kinds of food outweigh any satisfaction that I get from eating them. Smokers don't think cigarettes are antisocial it is a great way to get to know other people by sharing a cigarette, however there are a lot more people that smokers will never kiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts