Stocking items for barter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XFILE36 said:
I hear you can use them in place of an airlock when brewing wine. :)

When I was a teen one of my friend's dad kept beehives so we could get all the free honey we wanted. Naturally we used it to brew mead (honey wine). Airlocks? Pee-shaw. Our recipe was simplicity itself:

1. mix honey with water in a bucket
2. Add some bakers yeast (brewers yeast being unavailable to us)
3. Cover it with a piece of cloth to keep the bugs from drowning in it, and
4, Wait a few weeks.

Yes, it tasted dreadful (probably because we were using bakers yeast) but after a pint or two it no longer mattered.  :)

lenny flank said:
When I was a teen one of my friend's dad kept beehives so we could get all the free honey we wanted. Naturally we used it to brew mead (honey wine). Airlocks? Pee-shaw. Our recipe was simplicity itself:

1. mix honey with water in a bucket
2. Add some bakers yeast (brewers yeast being unavailable to us)
3. Cover it with a piece of cloth to keep the bugs from drowning in it, and
4, Wait a few weeks.

Yes, it tasted dreadful (probably because we were using bakers yeast) but after a pint or two it no longer mattered.  :)
Lenny, I recently came across some recipes to back sweeten them and he called them wine coolers.  He used sugar, water, and wine yeast.  After fermentation he added something (potassium sorbate I believe to stop fermentation), waited 2 weeks then added cans of frozen juice.  Resulted in high alcohol good tasting wine.   I will probably start one today, and am trying kombucha wine now as an experiment.  I usually just do cranberry wine.

lenny flank said:

IMHO, all mead, even properly brewed, tastes dreadful. And that is part of its charm.

Just something to consider should you be able to make it as a barter item.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

theinfamousj said:
IMHO, all mead, even properly brewed, tastes dreadful. And that is part of its charm.

Just something to consider should you be able to make it as a barter item.

I happen to think the cranberry juice wine isn't that dreadful, only slightly. ;)

XFILE36 said:
OMG!  I bought a large roll of aluminum foil from Costco and it's been sitting on top of my fridge.  Turns out roaches like cardboard boxes and they set up shop in my foil!  YUCK!  :-/  I learned from this forum to get rid of the cardboard anything.  I despise roaches.   Does anyone know of another way to store it without inviting uninvited guests?  P.S. I still keep my tin foil hat :p

Had NO idea roaches are fond of cardboard. What do they do, remove pieces and nest with it??? Does not seem edible, even by hungry annoying insects.

Ballenxj said:
You can always store large enough pieces folded flat inside baggies. Somewhere I have an Altoids can with a folded up piece, along with a fire starter and small knife.
Couldn't find it now if I really needed it though. So much for that.
Another option is you can make a lot of tin foil hats so you always have one handy when you need it. :p

Yes, tin can with char cloth, punk wood and ferro rod or bic, fast fire when needed. Remember bics are plastic, can leak. I carry mine in waterproof pill containers, for small and large bics.

Plastic breaks, extra layer is safety measure against lighter fluid in backpack.

Tin foil hats for barter item. Multi purpose item! :)

Speaking of barter (or personal use) Amazon sells "coin wipes" in bags up to 500 per baggy. For facial or tp wipes. Takes up tiny amount of space for a lot of product. Anyone try these so far???

35 bucks last time I looked. If they work well could be great barter item. Takes up a lot less space than ye old dried out corn cobs, standard wipe in outhouses in the past, and ugghh, one only was available for multiple users. :(

Kathleen said:
Had NO idea roaches are fond of cardboard. What do they do, remove pieces and nest with it??? Does not seem edible, even by hungry annoying insects.

According to people here who do boating, they (roaches) live inside these roach motel type areas.  Lenny Flank here knows a lot about bugs and maybe you could ask him? Other people said to throw any cardboard away, I believe in the fact that they are attracted to the basic composition of glue and paper?  I wish other experts would weigh in and answer your question directly...