States/Provinces/Cities you DON’T want to visit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
In my experience, the people that are very insistent that they would NEVER go to NYC...... have never been there! 

I rushed through a few times in the early 70s. It had a terrible reputation as very dangerous with gangs everywhere. I was scared to death of the place. I would really like to visit now. However, I'm not sure how smart that would be sleeping in a van without a lot of money.

GeorgiePorgie said:
I'm not sure how smart that would be sleeping in a van without a lot of money.

According to Jessica Bruder, author of "Nomadland" and NYC resident, there are full time van dwellers in Manhattan and Brooklyn, probably in other areas, too.

I have overnighted in my class b on the street in both Detroit and the south side of Chicago with no problems. In both cases in very nice middle class neighborhoods near a friends house, so perhaps not so risky.

I think Detroit is a very interesting city, although, yes it is dangerous.

If GOD was going to give the world an enema... Altus, OK is where he would stick the tube. Wind never stops blowing there.

I prefer below the mason dixon line and from east coast to the CA state line. Anything else...better be a dang good reason. I have lived in Texas all my life and I still have not seen all the cool places. Texas has every kind of terrain. But I do plan to venture into most all of the western States. Right now I'm near Baton Rouge, LA for a few more days. Then it's a little farther south to New Iberia, LA. Then who knows. Right now its very busy in my career field and I have a shuttle bus to buy and build before RTR and the end of the year.

RepublicOfTXPatriot said:
I prefer below the mason dixon line and from east coast to the CA state line. Anything else...better be a dang good reason. I have lived in Texas all my life and I still have not seen all the cool places. Texas has every kind of terrain. But I do plan to venture into most all of the western States. Right now I'm near Baton Rouge, LA for a few more days. Then it's a little farther south to New Iberia, LA. Then who knows. Right now its very busy in my career field and I have a shuttle bus to buy and build before RTR and the end of the year.

Lots of great places to visit in the Northern states but go there when the weather is warm.  Was up in North Dakota once and just fueling up the big truck my tears froze to the side of my head it was sooooo frikkin cold.  Always said that if I ever moved back to Texas I'd move to San Antonio.  Love that town for some reason.  The only place in Texas I can't stand is Austin.  The town is fine but the traffic SUCKS!!!!  That over and under I-35 seems to confuse everyone and all it takes is one or two people playing patty cake on the brake and it's backed up for hours.