Standing water safety?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingfelder

Reaction score
The other day I grabbed the lightly lidded 5-gallon black bucket of water I had had standing in the sun for more than a week and pulled it into my shower tent.  Water looked good, was pleasantly warm, but when I was done I noticed ... at the very bottom of the bucket .. the water wasn't too clear.  

I have another one I keep out in the sun, same purpose.  I went to check it today, and it was quite slimy on all the inner walls, so i scrubbed it out with soap.  Scrubbed both of them and left them to dry in the sun for the day.

When does standing water become unsafe? Or just gross?  i realize I was asking for trouble, leaving it out for so long ... but I was catching some indoor showers so kind of forgot about it ...

Probably just algae. Don't worry, not much can live in oxygen depleted water that's warm enough to comfortably bathe in (generally 102-104°F is comfortable bath water). Going forward, you might want to add a couple tablespoons of bleach to your water bucket if it's going to stand for a few days.

What's the source of your water? There are some concerning microorganisms in pond water, notably amoebas that can cause meningitis/encephalitis. Bleach kills them also. Also cryptococcus and coccidia, bleach ditto.

Most slimy things in standing water turn out to be algae.

The Dire Wolfess

I believe there was an X-Files episode that started out eerily similar.....

Jeff

Yes, maybe algae. Or maybe bacteria. What specie algae? What specie bacteria? Chlorine as in Clorox is your friend when it comes to water born disease.

Thanks folks. So a couple tablespoons per bucket? Okay that's simple enough.

I am parked at a friend's house, so the water is right out of the hose.

Dingfelder said:
Thanks folks. So a couple tablespoons per bucket? Okay that's simple enough.

I am parked at a friend's house, so the water is right out of the hose.
In that case, you will wake up soon with green slimy skin.

Just kidding.

You'll be fine. I carry a small container of Chlorox for just such applications. I hate the smell, but I hate green slime worse! Clorox actually degrades after a while, so I just buy the smallest bottle and usually about the time it's finished, it's time to get a fresh one anyway. If it's hot, it only lasts about 3 months.

The Dire Wolfess

Also cover the buckets to prevent photosynthesis. Green plants need sunlight.
So add, My mixture one cap of bleach to every 2 1/2 gallons. You aren't going to drink it so it will be fine for everything else.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I did have them both covered, so that's what surprised me. Covered black 5 gallon buckets with black lids.

A little bleach it is, from now on. Easier than scrubbing slime away, and not being able to take a shower when you're all ready for one -- in every way -- isn't cool.

Great, hopefully it all goes well, happy showers and travel's.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk