Staking Tents/Canopies in the Deserr

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I need some advice.

How do you fellow nomads secure tents and canopies to the ground in the desert?

I’ve come to the conclusion that stakes are highly unreliable. I would like to not find my tents blowing away like tumbleweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 18" rebar sharpened on the end with a ring welded to the side.

What HDR uses works well too but requires having a drill/driver to put them in and take them out. I just carry a 2Lb hammer. Drive them in and time to leave, beat them back and forth to loosen. They also work well in softer soil but I have not tried sand.

No I use an battery powered impact gun. In some places(rocky) I use an rotor Hammer/drill to predrill the holes. Highdesertranger

B and C said:
I use 18" rebar sharpened on the end with a ring welded to the side.

I have those, too. Sometimes the "desert pavement" is so rocky I use a masonry bit to drill a pilot hole. I picked up that trick from another nomad.

I use these $2.00 3/8" x 8" SPAX screws from HomeDepot driven with a cordless drill/driver

screw3.jpgscrew 2.jpgscrew 1.jpg

Attachments

• screw 1.jpg
    screw 1.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 8
  • screw 2.jpg
    screw 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 4
  • screw3.jpg
    screw3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3
Those metal rings the screw goes through, looks like a standard chain link? We’re you able to buy them as two chain links, or did you break them apart from a larger chain?

Unfortunately I don’t have much room in my car for too many tools. I’m currently trying to free up space for a battery and foldable solar panels. But I think I could manage some space for a wireless drill.

Remember the charger and spare battery too. Also it works best if the drill has an impact option. Highdesertranger

The few times i have ran into this issue, i found 4 relatively heavy stones and placed them inside my tent at the 4 corners. Works like a charm.

I'm thinking that HDR was referring to a drill that will work as an impact (hammer) drill in addition to normal drilling. No special bits required.

Guy

I was wondering the same thing. Being a boreal forest type camper I’ve deal a bit with rock. But the wind and such the desert has my six inch ground hogs aren’t going to hold much. Haha.
I’m going to upgrade my cordless tools I think... So thanks for the thread and the reply’s. I’m sure it depends on what your holding down. But I’ve seen winds you’d have to stake down your pet rock!

For my wall tent Ive used 12" spikes (huge nails) from the lumber yard. Its the same ones I used in spiking log cabin walls down. I had a flat washer welded under the head to give a wider area for the tent loops and cords. I could drive them through hard packed gravel and rocky ground. A friend used the same for staking out his shelter for art sales on asphalt parking lots, they will drive into asphalt with a 2 lb or other small sledge. I normally just use an Estwing steel handled framing hammer to drive them and pull them. The ones with the straight claws are most useful I believe, and make passable digging tools for whatever camp chores you may have for light digging.

Something simple and easy to get, go to the lumber yard or home store and get some steel concrete form stakes. I have them in 18" and 24". They have holes through them on 2 planes to screw to the forms, but you can uses some 16p nails as handles to help pull them or as a stop point for your tent loops or cords if they wont drive all the way in on your camp spot. They may be a lightning hazzard, though if a storm cam up you could use them to make the holes then use large plastic stakes or wood stakes (also available in bundles as concrete form stakes)

Yes gsfish that's what I meant. My DeWalt will work as a drill, a hammer drill, and a driver. Highdesertranger