Spray Foam Floor Insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cargovanconversion

Reaction score
05-spray-foam-fill-low-spots.jpg

I've been working on the sub-floor and removed the tie-downs, insulated the wheel wells, created plywood templates and cut & glued the strips of Poly-Iso to the floor. Now I filled in the voids between the insulation panels with a spray foam application.

Although it is a closed-cell, waterproof foam, after cutting off the excess, what remains is susceptible to moisture, but still adds insulation and some structural cohesion to the floor.

The mod can be viewed here: Mod: Insulated Floor – Spray Foam Application

Van Williams

Lol...I really wish there was an !eeek! emoticon on the forum. Shaving all that flush will be just, well, ...!eeek!

:)

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work personally, but that's the beauty of doing your own build, you get to do it anyway you want.

I have no words for this project.   :s

it has been advised on this forum and others not to use that spray foam in a can. it is NOT closed cell. your floor is going to rust where you sprayed that. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
it has been advised on this forum and others not to use that spray foam in a can.  it is NOT closed cell.  your floor is going to rust where you sprayed that. highdesertranger

It's more complicated than that. This foam IS closed cell and can be used for that purpose.

However in my case, I took the top off to make it flat and that partially opens up its cell structure and creating a risk of possible moisture collection. This still is no guarantee that rust will appear. No metal is exposed and the area well covered. Improved interior ventilation. So many factors. And it adds some insulation and cohesion to the floor.

While I find heaps of good information and great ideas, here and on other forums, lots of misinformation or half truths exist. That plus personal preferences make things complicated. I always try to use common sense, my 30-year experience and lots of compromises.

Van Williams

let me try to explain this. that is not closed cell foam when you spray it forms an outer skin that is water proof but any compromise in the skin and the foam inside will soak up water like a sponge. closed cell foam will not do this. this is not misinformation I have seen it many times, others have to. I have seen guys spray it in their vehicles to quite it up, within a few years the metal around the area is rotting. I even see it in apartments were the plumbers sprayed it in the walls after a plumbing repair. it rots the wood and drywall around it. this is not the same foam as the closed cell 2 part foam that is meant to be used as insulation and vapor barrier. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
let me try to explain this.  that is not closed cell foam when you spray it forms an outer skin that is water proof but any compromise in the skin and the foam inside will soak up water like a sponge.  closed cell foam will not do this.  this is not misinformation I have seen it many times,  others have to.  I have seen guys spray it in their vehicles to quite it up,  within a few years the metal around the area is rotting. I even see it in apartments were the plumbers sprayed it in the walls after a plumbing repair.  it rots the wood and drywall around it.  this is not the same foam as the closed cell 2 part foam that is meant to be used as insulation and vapor barrier.  highdesertranger

I think it is misinformation to not call it closed cell, we just have to point out the differences, as I did. My own experiences with it have been the opposite of yours. In any case, I penetrated the skin and have to live with that. I'll post about that in a couple of years.

This is similar to the use of fibreglass. Widely discouraged because of moisture problems etc. My former Dodge B-250 was a Mark III upfitted van and after 25 years of use I opened up the walls and found the fibreglass in pristine state. No water, no rust.

These things make me wary of what I read. I always look for multiple sources of information with my own experience at the top. Only few of us are experts and I'm certainly not one of them.

Van Williams

cargovanconversion said:
I think it is misinformation to not call it closed cell, we just have to point out the differences, as I did. My own experiences with it have been the opposite of yours. In any case, I penetrated the skin and have to live with that. I'll post about that in a couple of years.

This is similar to the use of fibreglass. Widely discouraged because of moisture problems etc. My former Dodge B-250 was a Mark III upfitted van and after 25 years of use I opened up the walls and found the fibreglass in pristine state. No water, no rust.

These things make me wary of what I read. I always look for multiple sources of information with my own experience at the top. Only few of us are experts and I'm certainly not one of them.

Van Williams

Sorry.  I agree with HDR.  Great Stuff is not a product to use on metal.