[split] Portable Washing Machine and Dishwasher

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the Giantex washer- I'm tired of the quarter withdrawals! I have shore power for the winter, so this will allow me to wash a bit a day, and not spend hours on the weekend washing.

I already have a portable dishwasher for the prewash, he'll lick every pot, pan, and plate clean as can be. Then once he does all the heavy lifting, I just have to give them a quick wash and rinse.

I don't mind using laundromats. When traveling I can go a few weeks easy and could stretch it further if necessary. I use the time while the clothes are washing and drying to give the interior of the rig a good cleaning and find somewhere in town to take a shower, big bonus when the laundromats also have showers. I also like to wash all my bedding every few weeks and that just wouldn't be possible in the portables.

Stargazer said:
I wash dishes and I'm portable.  I guess that makes me a portable dishwasher?

As for laundry, I save all my quarters because I am NOT gonna hand wash if I can avoid it.  Been there, done that and hopefully never again.

How about foot wash? I've done this on the road when I have access to a shower - take your clothes into the shower, stand on top of them, turn on the shower, and do your regular routine, just marching all the while. Whistle 'Sherman's March' or something suitably martial if you're so inclined. Take a little extra time for rinsing.

Turn the water off, and continue marching for a bit to press out a lot of the water. Then, wring. Hang over shower rod to drip dry or take back to camp.

This could be done in camp, if you had a kiddie pool and plenty of water. 

BTW, hot water is not necessary for most clothes washing. Especially if you are using liquid soap/detergent.

Need I say that this can be highly entertaining for all.

GREAT!!!! Now I have the image of a Stomp type revival with jacqueg "marching/dancing" center stage surrounded by several others sitting on stools in front of 5 gallon buckets moving plungers up and down and water, water everywhere .....

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
GREAT!!!!  Now I have the image of a Stomp type revival with jacqueg "marching/dancing" center stage surrounded by several others sitting on stools in front of 5 gallon buckets moving plungers up and down and water, water everywhere .....

LOL!

Sounds like fun! Or at least more fun than having to wash those dang clothes AGAIN, why won't they keep themselves clean?

Hey, I bought that portable washer early this summer from Camping World (it was on sale). And we took it up to a state park we annually camp at that has rustic cabins. We had electric and a spigot outside, and it's dirty there. We do a lot of activities, so we get messy. Anyway, I used that washer the first day. I ended up making a little table for it, so it can sit on there. If I turn the table upside down, the unit can ride inside it, so it really doesn't take up extra space.

It's just a square of wood with 4 screw in legs from Home Depot. Anyway the clothes got really clean and I ended up putting a clothes line inside. It was early summer and it was kinda cold at night. I strung up the clothes line and anything still wet was dry by morning from the wood stove in the cabin heating it up.

Really happy with that purchase and Camping World sent it quick.

I have a regular washer at home, but I found myself taking it out to use it for loads I needed done fast. I plan to take that thing with me when I camp in my SUV or van. It takes so little water.

I suggest you make a little table too. If you make it slightly bigger and screw in the legs, you can store the unit inside the upside down table.

you can take it off but with a portable you will need to refill again to get a rinse cycle so best probably to leave it on til after you really are done using the 'wash side' of it. no harm done either way tho.

That's a newer version of the barrel the pioneers used. They partly filled a barrel with water, added their detergent and the laundry, strapped it into the wagon, and let it slosh until they stopped for the night.

When needed I use a plumber’s friend and a 5 gallon bucket, add detergent, pump a few times, then rinse.

I don't mind doing dishes, and use a washboard and tubs for laundry. Not hard at all.

Attachments

• image0 5.jpeg
    image0 5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts